Recent Topics Recent Topics

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone have any experience with spacers for their kid's teeth?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 JBrigman

JBrigman

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,296 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:37 PM

So my son just turned 7 and he has the million dollar mouth. If it's not one thing in his mouth costing me $ it's another. Well now after several trips to the Ortho, who we are very happy with, they say he needs 2 space maintainers put in. One on top, which my insurance will pay for to hold the spot for his adult tooth to come in. We had the molar pulled, after it was capped and still needed to be removed. And they say he needs one on the bottom to hold a space for an adult tooth that we had to have pulled 9 months ago. Yes, an adult tooth, it was discolored, mis-shaped, and wouldn't erupt all the way that caused him constant pain and discomfort. My insurance will not pay for this one because it's for a permanent tooth and not a baby tooth and it's $450.00.

So anyone gone through anything similar? I asked my insurance co. if we had left the painful tooth in, would they have payed for it and they said yes. I'll never win with them....Delta Dental sux... But now I'm left not knowing what to do and am not 100% convinced space maintainers are needed. Then I googled it and people posted how badly the spacers hurt their kids....

Edited by JBrigman, 18 September 2009 - 04:30 PM.

Don't Litter -- Fix Your Critter! And remember, rescued animals make the best pets!

#2 Davis

Davis

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE (JBrigman @ Sep 18 2009, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So my son just turned 7 and he has the million dollar mouth. If it's not one thing in his mouth costing me $ it's another. Well now after several trips to the Ortho, who we are very happy with, they say he needs 2 spacers put in. One on top, which my insurance will pay for to hold the spot for his adult tooth to come in. We had the molar pulled, after it was capped and still needed to be removed. And they say he needs one on the bottom to hold a space for an adult tooth that we had to have pulled 9 months ago. Yes, an adult tooth, it was discolored, mis-shaped, and wouldn't erupt all the way that caused him constant pain and discomfort. My insurance will not pay for this one and it's over $400.00.

So anyone gone through anything similar? I asked my insurance co. if we had left the painful tooth in, would they have payed for it and they said yes. I'll never when with them....Delta Dental sux... But now I'm left not knowing what to do and am not 100% convinced spacers are needed. Then I googled it and people posted how badly the spacers hurt their kids....

Funny you should bring this up. I just had to take dd to dentist yesterday for tooth pulled and a spacer put in with additional sealents. She said it did hurt and is still complaing of pain but she said that the spacer got stuck on her mouth so her mouth hurt. I don't know about long term. They told us that her adult tooth would not be in for a year or two so she will have to wear it until then. I think the thing is funky looking. It is just a metal retangle looking thing that food can get on their gum. I guess when her gum heals it will not be a big deal but she cant brush that area yet and that makes me concerned. Anyhoo, I guess I have no answer for your question but I am glad I did it b/c I was afraid that her teeth would crowd together and then I would have more expensive problems down the road when her big tooth comes in. Good luck with whatever you decide.

PS. On a funny note.....she thought she would get money from the tooth fairy. lol. I told her that the tooth fairy does not give money for teeth you did not take care of cause she can't use them. laugh.gif Hopefully, she will learn to brush when I tell her to from now on. biggrin.gif
I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed. - Booker T. Washington

#3 raclay

raclay

Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,326 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:58 PM

My DD had a spacer that was put in about two years ago and finally removed about 6 months ago. She said it hurt when they put it in but after that she never had any problems. The only thing is she couldn't eat gummy treats, like fruit rolls ups and gummy bears. After her dentist showed me what gummy treats can do to teeth, she is only allowed to have them occasionally. As far as insurance I don't recall exactly how much I had to pay but insurance did pay some towards the spacer. BTW my DD is now 10 yo.

So you're not from the South, that's okay, you got here as fast as you could.

#4 rednekkhikkchikk

rednekkhikkchikk

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,865 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:17 PM

I would imagine the pain from spacers would be about the same as with braces, some initial pain that gradually eases as the teeth adjust to their new, more permanent positions.

No experience with spacers, but plenty with braces, so this is just my opinion/assumption. I wouldn't so much call it pain as discomfort, certainly nothing Advil or Tylenol won't take care of.

"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion". - Sir Francis Bacon

"The mystery of government is not how Washington works but how to make it stop". -P. J. O'Rourke

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." ~Frank Zappa

"All persons ought to endeavor to follow what is right, and not what is established." -Aristotle

"No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another, and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him." -Thomas Jefferson

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority." -Noah Webster

"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking". - AA Milne

#5 navyretireewife

navyretireewife

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:49 PM

my son had a space maintainer which was a bar that ran on the inside of his lower teeth. He had to have it because they removed his 2 eye teeth to try to get the front teeth to straighten out. He had it for 2 years and just had it removed. Now some insurance companys pay for a space maintainer because its really not considered ortho. If they are spacers they might not cover them. Check you plan and if a space maintainer is pd for then ask the dentist to do that vice just putting in spacers. And btw a space maintainer doesn't hurt and they will tell you nothing gummy it will pull it out. HTH

Edited by navyretireewife, 18 September 2009 - 03:50 PM.

#6 Guest_Oscar_*

Guest_Oscar_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:56 PM

rolleyes.gif Some of the things THEY DO NOWADAYS! Geez...I just do not remember all these issues when I was a kid. Of course there is new technology and moolah to be made but still...

Yes, my kid's spacer fell out when he was eating candy (at friend's house) and then threw it in the garbage. wacko.gif He now knows that little piece of metal he threw away could have bought him three xbox 360 games. laugh.gif

#7 JBrigman

JBrigman

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,296 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:04 PM

Only 3 games...are you kidding...try $450? I am not 100% sold that they are necissary.
Don't Litter -- Fix Your Critter! And remember, rescued animals make the best pets!

#8 Davis

Davis

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:12 PM

450? Are they nuts? I paid $192 for a tooth pulled, spacer put in, and 3 sealents and the laughing gas. Tell them they have lost their mind. I thought I was going to go insane when they told me my balance. wacko.gif blink.gif What dentist do you go to? (if you don't mind me asking)

Edited by Davis, 18 September 2009 - 04:19 PM.

I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed. - Booker T. Washington

#9 Guest_Oscar_*

Guest_Oscar_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE (JBrigman @ Sep 18 2009, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Only 3 games...are you kidding...try $450? I am not 100% sold that they are necissary.

The lost spacer cost us $100 ... besides the fact that they had to make a new impression of his teeth to make the dang thing.

#10 JBrigman

JBrigman

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,296 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:20 PM

Doesn't have anything to do with our dentist, just our ortho and we're using Dr. Justice on Dallas Highway. Do you have a suggestion for a second opinion?

#11 Davis

Davis

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (JBrigman @ Sep 18 2009, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Doesn't have anything to do with our dentist, just our ortho and we're using Dr. Justice on Dallas Highway. Do you have a suggestion for a second opinion?

I am not using a ortho? I use a pediatric dentist called Childresn Dentisty of West Cobb. You should give them a call. They did not have to make an impression of her teeth (I don't think anyway) but I don't know. All I know is she got one yesterday? dry.gif

#12 Skye

Skye

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (JBrigman @ Sep 18 2009, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not too sold on it being necessary, either. My 8 yr. old had 2 baby eye teeth extracted (extreme overcrowding), and still there's not enough room for the permanent ones to come in. Two orthodontists have looked at the situation and did not recommend such a thing. Later, it's expected that she'll have braces. Guess those spacers weren't recommended because they won't do the trick.

#13 Nolongerhere

Nolongerhere

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:17 PM

I've always been old fashioned about things. They told me years ago that my son needed braces. He has them now that he is 12 with ALL of his adult teeth. I refused to even take him to an ortho before that. I'll be the same with my other kids. While technology is good at times .. the expensive, non necessary trends are something I just won't be part of. I met a guy once in the Ortho office .. his teenage son was on his " 3rd " set of braces huh.gif Yeah, that won't be happening to me.
Moved on to a more positive and enriching environment =)

#14 Nolongerhere

Nolongerhere

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE (JBrigman @ Sep 18 2009, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dr. McLendon smile.gif B and her brother both go to him. He rocks! When the others get their adult teeth in .. they'll also be going to see him. We drive out of our way for him. B went to 3 different Ortho's before we fell in love with Dr McLendon. He was the ONLY one that didn't use fear tactics or try to BS us. smile.gif
Moved on to a more positive and enriching environment =)

#15 Far West

Far West

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:49 PM

No spacers here ... but Mc Lendon seems to be a great value and he is conservative in what he does to give kids a great smile.

When a Society subsidizes poverty and failure it only gets more of Both! ~ James Davidson

Some minds are like concrete. Thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics