#1 MillCreek

MillCreek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,146 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:09 PM

from the AJ-C website (02-12-09)

14 jobs open at Cobb 911

The county is accepting applications to fill 14 positions in the emergency dispatch center. Ann Flynn, deputy director of the 911 center, said the county is moving aggressively to fill the jobs.

Applicants may go to the Cobb government Web site for more information. Applicants must be at least 18 and a U.S. citizen with a high school diploma or GED. A background check is among the requirements. The 911 dispatch center on North Marietta Parkway handles about 2,500 calls daily, Flynn said. It handled over 800,000 in 2008.

The emergency dispatch center routes calls for Cobb police and fire agencies, the county sheriff’s department, Marietta police and fire departments and the Powder Springs Police Department.

Applicant tests are scheduled for Feb. 16 and 25.

Story

#2 TOW2topgun

TOW2topgun

Chick's Play Thang

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:18 PM

The standards are LOW from what I hear on my end of the radio!
PRE-EMPTIVE DISCLAIMER: This is not a racist comment. If you think it's racist, you should examine your own principles. VIMH

#3 Jack Reacher

Jack Reacher

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (TOW2topgun @ Feb 12 2009, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

laugh.gif

Is english a requirement?

"It was supposed to have been a relaxing early retirement on the beach for Grey Colson. No city traffic, no more late shifts and no more lonely nights in a home that was a constant reminder of his late wife's suffering. A distraction of sorts. But distractions have their price and it was more than Colson was willing to pay........His daughter's life"

A novel by Jack Reacher

Coming to local book stores, consignment shops and yard sales all across Paulding County in the summer of 2012....or 2013...or sometime around then. LOL!

Posted Image

#4 1Novella

1Novella

Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE (MillCreek Web Design @ Feb 12 2009, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
from the AJ-C website (02-12-09)

14 jobs open at Cobb 911

The county is accepting applications to fill 14 positions in the emergency dispatch center. Ann Flynn, deputy director of the 911 center, said the county is moving aggressively to fill the jobs.

Applicants may go to the Cobb government Web site for more information. Applicants must be at least 18 and a U.S. citizen with a high school diploma or GED. A background check is among the requirements. The 911 dispatch center on North Marietta Parkway handles about 2,500 calls daily, Flynn said. It handled over 800,000 in 2008.

The emergency dispatch center routes calls for Cobb police and fire agencies, the county sheriff’s department, Marietta police and fire departments and the Powder Springs Police Department.

Applicant tests are scheduled for Feb. 16 and 25.

Story

Is there anyone out there with more information on these openings? They are not listed on the site as openings... I've plenty of experience as I have managed an alarm board. I would really appreciate any further information.
You have to be nice first. When that doesn't work, you can be mean. Once you've been mean, noone will believe the nice anymore. So be nice, even if it hurts.
More life lessons from Anita:
There are some things more important than physical survival. You've got to be able to look yourself in the mirror.
Guns aren't designed for comfort. It's one of the few things that are worn by men, that are as uncomfortable as a pair of high heels.
Change is inevitable and leading change makes it positive. Availability is not a qualification. Hope is not a strategy. Potato chips are not a vegetable, and hot dogs are not a meat. Feedback is a gift, and anyone who "unfriends" you on Facebook because of a disagreement wasn't truly your friend at all.
Posted Image

#5 1Novella

1Novella

Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE (1novella @ Feb 12 2009, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is there anyone out there with more information on these openings? They are not listed on the site as openings... I've plenty of experience as I have managed an alarm board. I would really appreciate any further information.

Finally found someone and at first the position was open and now it's been closed. For those interested you can go online and request to be notified when it opens back up.
You have to be nice first. When that doesn't work, you can be mean. Once you've been mean, noone will believe the nice anymore. So be nice, even if it hurts.
There are some things more important than physical survival. You've got to be able to look yourself in the mirror.
Guns aren't designed for comfort. It's one of the few things that are worn by men, that are as uncomfortable as a pair of high heels.
Change is inevitable and leading change makes it positive. Availability is not a qualification. Hope is not a strategy. Potato chips are not a vegetable, and hot dogs are not a meat. Feedback is a gift, and anyone who "unfriends" you on Facebook because of a disagreement wasn't truly your friend at all.
Posted Image

#6 Mrs. Jack Russell

Mrs. Jack Russell

BUE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,767 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:43 PM

Tow, my niece is in the process. Tomorrow she goes for her assessment. Woo Hoo... she speaks Paulding County English...I think you can understand her. LOL

Also if anyone is interested in the job, go to the test on the dates in the article after filling out the application on line. It's a 2 to 3 month process to get hired, so you gotta take the test to get the process started. By the time 2 to 3 months are gone by, there will be more jobs open. (Folks retire, some of the trainees don't make it etc)
I think God will have prepared everything for our perfect happiness. If it takes my dog being there [in Heaven], I believe he'll be there.

Rev. Billy Graham

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#7 TOW2topgun

TOW2topgun

Chick's Play Thang

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE (Jack Reacher @ Feb 12 2009, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif

Is english a requirement?

No.

QUOTE (Mrs. Jack Russell @ Feb 12 2009, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tow, my niece is in the process. Tomorrow she goes for her assessment. Woo Hoo... she speaks Paulding County English...I think you can understand her. LOL

Also if anyone is interested in the job, go to the test on the dates in the article after filling out the application on line. It's a 2 to 3 month process to get hired, so you gotta take the test to get the process started. By the time 2 to 3 months are gone by, there will be more jobs open. (Folks retire, some of the trainees don't make it etc)

Pauldingneese is good! laugh.gif
Much better than Franklin Roadenesse!
PRE-EMPTIVE DISCLAIMER: This is not a racist comment. If you think it's racist, you should examine your own principles. VIMH

#8 Riograce

Riograce

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,480 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:57 PM

Dude, I would think you'd show a *little* more respect for a job that's even more thankless than YOURS. Are there slackers in 911 dispatch? No doubt. There are slacker cops, too - I'd bet you know a few. No profession is immune from those who aren't worth their pay. Thank God for the folks who DO take those jobs seriously and are willing to give it 110% every day.

#9 TOW2topgun

TOW2topgun

Chick's Play Thang

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:08 PM

QUOTE (Riograce @ Feb 12 2009, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dude, I would think you'd show a *little* more respect for a job that's even more thankless than YOURS. Are there slackers in 911 dispatch? No doubt. There are slacker cops, too - I'd bet you know a few. No profession is immune from those who aren't worth their pay. Thank God for the folks who DO take those jobs seriously and are willing to give it 110% every day.

DUDE, I wasn't speaking about the "good" ones. I spoke of the "slackers" and I m sure you knew that but just felt the need to throw your .2 in. What do you do? License examiner?

#10 KLSX

KLSX

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:16 AM

QUOTE (TOW2topgun @ Feb 12 2009, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If your radio has a scramble mode, try turning it on it usually does a good job of deciphering them.

Edited by KLSX, 13 February 2009 - 12:18 AM.

#11 NCP

NCP

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:10 AM

For me it would be a 3 block walk instead of a 20 mile trip to Dallas.
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Nicholas Cole - Photographer</span>
www.NicholasColePhotographer.com
Historic Downtown Dallas
770-443-7355
Posted Image

#12 Mrs. Jack Russell

Mrs. Jack Russell

BUE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,767 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:34 AM

QUOTE (TOW2topgun @ Feb 12 2009, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No.

Pauldingneese is good! laugh.gif
Much better than Franklin Roadenesse!

Say good thoughts for her today. You will be lucky to get my niece in 911.
Her Mama is retiring from Cobb next month after over 30 years, I retired from Cobb with over 30 years and my husband retired from Cobb with 30 years. We want her working there. Although she will get benifits she knows the job will be stressful. She is 19 which is good and bad. Good that she may get an early start with Cobb and bad because she had the potential of meeting and dating a police officer! ohmy.gif I guess it ain't that bad. I married one!

QUOTE (TOW2topgun @ Feb 12 2009, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DUDE, I wasn't speaking about the "good" ones. I spoke of the "slackers" and I m sure you knew that but just felt the need to throw your .2 in. What do you do? License examiner?

Yep there are some slackers in there!
I think God will have prepared everything for our perfect happiness. If it takes my dog being there [in Heaven], I believe he'll be there.

Rev. Billy Graham

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#13 1Novella

1Novella

Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:45 AM

QUOTE (Mrs. Jack Russell @ Feb 12 2009, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't been able to apply online because the postings aren't there....can you send me a link?
Posted Image

#14 flossy

flossy

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE (1novella @ Feb 13 2009, 07:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't been able to apply online because the postings aren't there....can you send me a link?

You have to sign up when there is a test. The next tests are February 16 and February 25. you might want to call 770-528-2535, the recruitment center for Cobb County and see where you can sign up.

The only difference between us and the animals is our ability to accesorize- Clarice, Steel Magnolias

#15 Mrs. Jack Russell

Mrs. Jack Russell

BUE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,767 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:52 AM

Here is the information I found on Cobb 911 website. (My niece took the test about a month ago) I guess the test that is scheduled for 2/16 must be filled. I would call the number Flossy gave or wait until after 2/16 to check the www.cobbcounty.org website for jobs. It may be on the list again. A simple explaination of why there was an article about the open positions in the newspaper is probably that there are openings. A simple explanation why a person was told that they were not hiring is because the folks who took the last test will be processed for the jobs before the next test. (Or something lkie that)

Cobb County 911

Employment

EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS OPERATOR
911 CENTER

Salary Rate: $15.16 per hour Salary Grade: 46

Benefits: Eligible for health and dental coverage, retirement plan, life insurance, long term disability insurance, deferred compensation, ten paid holidays per year, ten days annual leave per year after twelve months, and thirteen days sick leave per year.

Status: Non-Exempt (N) – Employees are eligible for overtime pay

Schedule: Shift work 2 12 hour teams (6am-6pm, 6pm-6am)

Essential Functions:

* Answers emergency and non-emergency calls from the public; determines nature of the call; assigns priority to call; simultaneously enters information into computer
* Dispatches the appropriate agency (e. g., police, fire, medical) to the scene
* Gives life-saving and pre-arrival instructions to callers in emergency medical situations
* Maintains contact with callers and response units in order to give current information
* Performs other duties as assigned

Minimum Qualifications:

* High School Diploma or GED
* US Citizen
* No Felony Convictions
* Must be able to pass Data Entry Skills Test, entry level written test, and Internal Affairs Background Process

Please visit the Cobb County Web site at www.cobbcounty.org or contact the Cobb County Human Resources Employment Center at 770-528-2535 regarding the next available test date.

Rev. Billy Graham

#16 beulah boy

beulah boy

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:54 AM

Published: 02/13/2009

By Ashley Hungerford
ahungerford@mdjonline.com

MARIETTA - Calling all operators, the Cobb 911 call center is hiring.

There are 16 openings - highly sought in today's economic climate.

Given the rising unemployment rates, Bonnie Rogers, an investigator in the public safety Internal Affairs department who is overseeing the hiring process, said they've seen an increase in applications for the positions.

"We usually test one or two times a month, but this month we're testing five times, and we'll probably do more next month," she said.

Each testing session can hold about 60 applicants.

Cobb Chairman Sam Olens said the county has seen an increase in applicants for all job postings over the last six months.

Except for public safety, the county has been under a hiring freeze for almost a year.

"I'm impressed with the commissioners' commitment to public safety," said Ann Flynn, assistant emergency communication manager.

The 911 center openings include staffing a new radio channel dispatch with five people. The Board of Commissioners approved the new radio dispatch in November, and the county began taking applications in January. It will be primarily used for communications in the county's specialty units, like Violent Incident Prevention and Early Response Unit. These units involve a high volume of radio communications.

"We want to fill the slots as quickly as possible," Flynn said.

The new radio channel could go live this summer.

Because of the high volume of applications, human resources sometimes closes the openings because they don't have room to test anyone else, Rogers said.

Rogers encourages interested applicants to sign up for job notification e-mails on the county's human resources Web site, www.cobbcounty.org/HR. When a position opens, a generic e-mail is sent out alerting interested applicants.

A career in the 911 center is not for everyone, Flynn said.

The three-page job description includes answering incoming emergency and non-emergency calls, dispatching the appropriate agency, providing life-saving and pre-arrival instructions to callers in emergency medical situations and maintaining contact in unusual situations.

Rogers said applicants are put through a series of tests, including a typing test, written test, polygraph, psychological exam, medical exam and a background check. Applicants are also tested on their dexterity and processing abilities.

"911 operators have to be able to multi-task and be precise; a switch of the street numbers could send firefighters to the wrong house up the street," Flynn said. "It takes a very unique personality."

Out of the 60 test-takers, only about two or three will pass, Flynn said.

After passing the tests, applicants undergo about four to six months of training, including four to six weeks in the call center academy where they learn such things as emergency signals, codes and state law, Flynn said.

Operators in training are then assigned to a training officer, who assists them as they rotate through the various mediums. Flynn said every operator is cross-trained.

The center dispatches units for the Cobb County Police and Fire Departments, Marietta Police and Fire Departments, the Powder Springs Police Department and the Cobb Sheriff Department.

Cobb's 911 center has 115 employees, and the center handles more than 2,500 calls a day.

Applicants must be at least 18 years old, a U.S. citizen and have a high school diploma or GED. The county will also perform a background check on all applicants.

To apply, visit www.cobbcounty.org/HR or contact Investigator Bonnie Rogers at (770) 528-3828.

#17 D-Cinco

D-Cinco

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:11 PM

There might be a very good reason for having so many openings. My husband worked there for a few months several years back. It is a long and very intense process to be hired. Once you get on there be prepared for a very, very stressful job. My husband just could not deal with the massive multi-tasking combined with the stress of having peoples lives depending on his efficiency. He admitted defeat and found something else.

Big rounds of gratitude, love and hugs to those awesome folks who can deal with the stress and provide this invaluable service. I'd never be able to handle it myself.

I do remember my husband getting frustrated with the amount of crazy, non-emergency calls he had to field on a daily basis. He said that kind of stuff got in the way of true emergencies.

Good luck to anyone who gives it a shot!

#18 Mr.Dis

Mr.Dis

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:01 PM

I have yet to be able to find that stupid tan Brik they keep talking about. rolleyes.gif

Mr. Dis offers Professional, Reliable lawn care for all of your home's needs. Please PM for a free Quote.

I'm a Uber Hottie... LGM say's so...

I hearby give credit to the Phoenicians for the Phoenician alphabet in all my writings on PCOM

#19 twinsister

twinsister

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:46 PM

Go on the Cobb County HR web page where they list job openings. If the 911 job is not listed you can request that youget an email when the position is opened again. You will get a generic email telling you that the position has opened. What they are doing is opening the postion and when they get enought for the test they close the job but a few days later they open it back up for the next test date.

Good luck

My daughter passed her assessment. Now she has to go set with a dispatcher tomorrow night from 7pm to 11pm I guess to let her get a taste of what she is getting herself into. Then the psy and physical. Hopeful they will hire her.
Twinsister retired March 23, 2009

#20 TOW2topgun

TOW2topgun

Chick's Play Thang

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE (Mr.Dis @ Feb 13 2009, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have yet to be able to find that stupid tan Brik they keep talking about. rolleyes.gif

That's a Beige or Tan BUICK silly...... wink.gif laugh.gif

#21 Mr.Dis

Mr.Dis

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE (TOW2topgun @ Feb 14 2009, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's a Beige or Tan BUICK silly...... wink.gif laugh.gif

I guess it is a good thing I went into the FD. All I have to understand now is which general direction and just follow the smoke plume to the house that is on fire. rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

Mr. Dis offers Professional, Reliable lawn care for all of your home's needs. Please PM for a free Quote.

I'm a Uber Hottie... LGM say's so...

I hearby give credit to the Phoenicians for the Phoenician alphabet in all my writings on PCOM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics