70 replies to this topic

#1 RaidersRock

RaidersRock

Boo Yah!!

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,353 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:34 AM

Fall ball games started this weekend for the rec dept, I was just wondering how others feel about the programs offered. Personally I am disappointed with the fastpitch/softball programs for the girls. My daughter played for a travel team in the spring, she had a great coach, she learned a lot & enjoyed playing at a competitive level. Other counties put a lot into their softball programs & it is disappointing that paulding hasn't kept up. Teams get 1 practice per week, if they are lucky. They don't have time to learn how to play. There is a lot of room for growth & IMO the folks in charge need to step it up, do their jobs & bring the county sports programs up to par.

Posted Image

#2 No Job

No Job

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:37 AM

What happened to the kids just having fun and learning sportsmanship? Too much is put on having to be the best.
God Bless one and all.

#3 RaidersRock

RaidersRock

Boo Yah!!

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,353 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE (No Job Too Small @ Sep 29 2008, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What happened to the kids just having fun and learning sportsmanship? Too much is put on having to be the best.

I know there are children who just want to have fun, but there are girls who want to compete. Paulding does not offer that. The rec dept is only about having fun, there are lots of girls who want more.
Posted Image

#4 smy34

smy34

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 12:02 PM

Having fun or learning...I guess if you want your child to be a zombie and say...they are out there I guess I could understand. I feel that even at the rec level it needs to be somewhat competitive, at least get your monies worth...

#5 madcohort

madcohort

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:49 PM

Paulding County is not there for Competetive level in the fall.. Not in baseball and not in Softball. Fall is for fundamentals.

Now if you are complaining about PC softball, in the spring, not having a competetive level, that is different. And again not the PCPRD responsibility but yours and other like minded parents and coaches that need to band together and come up with a system that works. Much like baseball has done. PCBAB is having problems losing kids to other counties as well. So truly a hard task you will be undertaking.. but you will be up to it i am sure!

#6 spunky

spunky

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:54 PM

Mt Tabor & Taylor Farm won't even allow anyone to host a tournament for softball. We give up rec & play travel. Rec was pityful. I don't know what the answer is but it was no fun for my child. Looks like they would do A & B teams for the girls.

#7 RaidersRock

RaidersRock

Boo Yah!!

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,353 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE (madcohort @ Sep 29 2008, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Paulding County is not there for Competitive level in the fall.. Not in baseball and not in Softball. Fall is for fundamentals.

Now if you are complaining about PC softball, in the spring, not having a competitive level, that is different. And again not the PCPRD responsibility but yours and other like minded parents and coaches that need to band together and come up with a system that works. Much like baseball has done. PCBAB is having problems losing kids to other counties as well. So truly a hard task you will be undertaking.. but you will be up to it i am sure!

I realize that fall ball is not as competitive, but lets face it the program as a whole needs drastic improvement. I know for a fact parents have pushed for changes and nothing ever happens. It is not important to the man in charge.

It would be great to hold competitive tourneys in paulding, it would be a great way to make park improvements like batting cages, there are girls who want to compete but don't have the opportunity.
Posted Image

#8 Canyon Ridge Gal

Canyon Ridge Gal

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 02:46 PM

I think Paulding Rec Dept. does a losy job, especially for girl's softball. My grandchildren play out of the county, and that is sad considering our tax money is paying for this. Paulding County used to have strong softball, even when communities had their own fields and ruritan clubs paid the bills. I hope our new commissioner will take a look that this aspect of recreation.

#9 flava

flava

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:08 PM

I have to completely agree with most of the posters about Paulding County Rec not doing a very good job with the girls fastpitch or slowpitch program. They loose alot of girls to surrounding county programs due to the lack of competitiveness in the program here. We are one of many families that left the county and went to play in West Cobb. Almost all of my daughters friends play out of West Cobb as well. Hardly none of the middle school teams pull from girls that are taught here in our own county. Most all of them play traveling ball out of West Cobb, Powder Springs, or Acworth. I find that really sad, since we are not stepping our programs up to meet the needs of our county residents.

As coaches, it's our job to teach these children so that they have the same opportunity to play sports at a school level, as traveling ball players do. Instead, we are not educating our coaches properly and in return, they are not "teaching" our children. Sports are suppose to be fun, but they also are suppose to teach sportsmanship, team work, and how to properly play a sport. Not all parents can afford to put their child in a traveling sport. Which is unfortunate since our county programs are not adequate to educate these players, so that they get the same opportunity AND coaching that a traveling ball player would get.

#10 RaidersRock

RaidersRock

Boo Yah!!

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,353 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:16 PM

Excellent post clapping.gif clapping.gif good.gif
Posted Image

#11 GOOSE

GOOSE

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:08 PM

Try complaining to the PCPRD and you will find they dont take any complaints from tax payers---they already know whats best for our children. If you don believe me just try 770-445-8065 and complain away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#12 madcohort

madcohort

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:25 PM

If you sensibly compare baseball and softball you will find that baseball is privately run by most of the non-profit youth associations. Why should Softball be different?

I am not saying that PCPRD cant help.. but why are you relying on them?

Get your stuff together!!! Form an organization!!! Hold some meetings!!! Talk with some of the local youth organizations about hosting softball. Quit complaining and DO SOMETHING... You are the reason that PC softball sux. Not PCPRD. YOU... DO SOMETHING!!!

And if you are.... You are a better person than me!! smile.gif

And if you arent? Then you reap what you sow... and that is NOTHING!

#13 ViperMom

ViperMom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:55 AM

For years each community had their own softball team, just like we do baseball. When the population of this county grew, the complaints were that everyone was having to travel across the county to let their daughter play softball. Back then, there was no gymnastic arena or soccer complex in the county, so if the girls wanted to play a sport it was softball.

The complaints won. The PCPRD board put together a program and sold it to the masses. Each of the community owned/operated parks agreed to let the softball program go and allow the county to take it over (be prepared, they have a similar bid for baseball!!!). It was the worst mistake. I am not saying that the intention from the start was to spoil softball, but it is very hard for an organization with so many irons in the fire to take on girls softball. Then you throw in the fastpitch/slowpitch issue.

It is very possible for individual parks to take back softball. I just don't know where you'd put them. Most of the parks are full with baseball players and the mounds are built, etc. Some parks have travel softball teams and that is a great way to go...of course, it is competative and some parents aren't ready for that.

Don't get mad at the rec department (I think their intentions are good). And I doubt Mr. Shearin made out the practice schedule so I think you can leave him out of THIS argument, too. Get involved with your local park and try to put something together.

#14 bamafan

bamafan

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:57 AM

When we moved into the county 8 years ago we checked into the softball rec program here and found that it was lacking. We then preceeded to go to West Cobb and found that to get what we wanted for our daughter we needed to go to travel ball. That is the best decision we have ever made concerning her now softball career. Be proactive and do what is best for your daughter. It will pay off in the long run. I am not saying travel ball is for everyone so weigh your options and decide from there.

#15 RaidersRock

RaidersRock

Boo Yah!!

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,353 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 07:17 AM

QUOTE (ViperMom @ Sep 30 2008, 06:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't get mad at the rec department (I think their intentions are good). And I doubt Mr. Shearin made out the practice schedule so I think you can leave him out of THIS argument, too. Get involved with your local park and try to put something together.

Jerry is not the man in charge I was referring to.
Posted Image

#16 falcons7

falcons7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 07:19 AM

I could give example after example of why the softball program ran by the county will NOT grow. The thing is the independent parks were sold a bill of goods when softball moved to Mt Tabor and Taylor Farm. The original deal was that the county would allow each independent to run their softball programs out of the county parks. Each park would handle the registration and would pay the PCPRD a fee for each girl. That lasted one season then the next season the county took the program over with out much resistance from those that were running the softball program the year before. They did however put together a "softball board". They however had no teeth and could only do so much. What has to happen is exactly what Cobb County does. Let the people that have the passion for running the programs run the program. The people that run it now it is a job. West Cobb Girls Softball is run by volunteers and is held accountable by the Parks and Rec department. The county provides the facilities and allows the people with the passion to put on an excellent program to do so. The even funnier thing is there are board members at West Cobb that are Paulding residents. Look at how that program flourishes and has grown. What could those people do if they were given the chance to put on a program in our county? The sad thing is those that have the power will not even let those that have participated out of county come back and coach in county. You had coaches with several years coaching experience out of county that were denied teams this season by PCPRD. The teams were given to coaches that had little or no experience and the level of play sure showed.

The other sad thing is the two people that are responsible for managing the programs are not interested in making them better. We as tax payers have the ability to voice our displeasure about the public officials that we pay their salaries. I think the county spoke loud and clear this past election. Now what has to happen when the new administration takes office is to make sure they know how you feel about our rec department. I think the new administration will be all ears to what their constituents have to say.

#17 flava

flava

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:32 AM

I have coached in this county several years, both when the private parks had individual softball leagues and through PCPRD. And let me say, that I'll never coach at PCPRD again, unless some major changes are made! As a coach, your hands are tied...every decision you make has to go before the "PAID" staff AND YES, THIS IS THIER FULL TIME JOB! There are no COACHING CLINICS put on to educate our coaches; there are no PLAYER CAMPS put on to educate our players; and the only park that has ever put on a "GREAT" camp is East Paulding (California) and they stopped putting on the camp all together this past summer.

The worst thing that could have happened was when the county took back over girls softball! Why? Because the parks are more worried about there "MENS" league than they are the "GIRLS" league! We have a great softball program in this county...the only problem is, it's for men! We only get to have the fields one day a week for practice, because the men's league has them the rest of the time.

What are the two strongest sports in Paulding County? FOOTBALL AND BASEBALL!!! Why? Because they are ran at individual parks, by local board members that care about what's going on within that organization and not by "PAID" representatives that are running a dictatorship!

And why don't we have traveling ball in this county? Well I'll tell you...the county won't give up their fields for an "OUTSIDE" organization to practice! And we say it's all about the girls! This county is ran by ONE MAN and we need to look at replacing him before things will change or (my suggestion) get it back into the local private ran parks in the county!

#18 GOOSE

GOOSE

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:44 PM

Look what happened when the Soccer people took their program away from Dooley, it flourished. Wonder what he would do all day long if he wanst in charge of softball?

#19 Grayce

Grayce

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,454 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE (RaidersRock @ Sep 29 2008, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fall ball games started this weekend for the rec dept, I was just wondering how others feel about the programs offered. Personally I am disappointed with the fastpitch/softball programs for the girls. My daughter played for a travel team in the spring, she had a great coach, she learned a lot & enjoyed playing at a competitive level. Other counties put a lot into their softball programs & it is disappointing that paulding hasn't kept up. Teams get 1 practice per week, if they are lucky. They don't have time to learn how to play. There is a lot of room for growth & IMO the folks in charge need to step it up, do their jobs & bring the county sports programs up to par.

Been that way for years!
Sometimes I just want to be left alone.........And sometimes I don't!

Georgia is always on my mind......Dawg Fan, Falcons on Sundays and Hawks on the nights they play and I can't leave out the Braves.......love them all EXCEPT Tech...lol

#20 S~M

S~M

The Nikon Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,896 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:07 PM

You know I'd be happier if they would just fix the hand dryer in the girls bathroom, or keep some paper towels stocked....maybe a little soap would be nice tongue.gif Not once, in all the years we have been there, has there been soap or towels in that bathroom dry.gif

OK, with that said, yes the program is lacking. Our girls are being let down, not having the practices they need to learn basic fundamentals of the game. I see new players coming in, even in the Fall, when its not supposed to be 'competitive', and I know these girls are going to be pushed to the side. The coaches have too little practice time, to be able to really focus on the ones who need the most help. Instead, they concentrate on their 'star' players, and try to push out a winning team. I have never once witnessed a coach, swap players out in positions, so they could LEARN to play. Now this is not directed at the 6U teams, they are still too young to be fixed into a position....but 8U and up, there is very little teaching going on.

There are plenty of travel teams for the more serious players, at the 'rec' level, it should be all about teaching these girls to be better players, and its not.

I will also say though, when softabll was at the individual parks, it wasn't any better. We played at California, and at New Hope....at both of those parks, we were sharing with the baseball teams, and they always got the better game times, better practice schedules, etc. Softball was shafted. And the fees were outrageous, $125+ just to sign up and then they asked for money for uniforms on top of that.

I had high hopes when it was taken over by the parks, it just has not panned out. The fees are lower, thats about the only good thing I can say about it. Heck, my girls have not even gotten visors this season, just the tee shirts, what is up with that?

#21 RaidersRock

RaidersRock

Boo Yah!!

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,353 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:39 PM

QUOTE (SmoochieMom @ Sep 30 2008, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK, with that said, yes the program is lacking. Our girls are being let down, not having the practices they need to learn basic fundamentals of the game. I see new players coming in, even in the Fall, when its not supposed to be 'competitive', and I know these girls are going to be pushed to the side. The coaches have too little practice time, to be able to really focus on the ones who need the most help. Instead, they concentrate on their 'star' players, and try to push out a winning team. I have never once witnessed a coach, swap players out in positions, so they could LEARN to play. Now this is not directed at the 6U teams, they are still too young to be fixed into a position....but 8U and up, there is very little teaching going on.

There are plenty of travel teams for the more serious players, at the 'rec' level, it should be all about teaching these girls to be better players, and its not.

I will also say though, when softabll was at the individual parks, it wasn't any better. We played at California, and at New Hope....at both of those parks, we were sharing with the baseball teams, and they always got the better game times, better practice schedules, etc. Softball was shafted. And the fees were outrageous, $125+ just to sign up and then they asked for money for uniforms on top of that.

I had high hopes when it was taken over by the parks, it just has not panned out. The fees are lower, thats about the only good thing I can say about it. Heck, my girls have not even gotten visors this season, just the tee shirts, what is up with that?

SM, I appreciate your thoughts, no they don't get the practice times they need & I know that fall ball is not as competitive. You & I both know what happens out there with coaching, most of them don't have a clue. I agree that they need to learn the fundamentals but what after that. As taxpayers we pay for this program that is going downhill big time, something needs to be done to offer more serious opportunities to compete, maybe they could focus more on the girls programs than the men's softball.
Posted Image

#22 S~M

S~M

The Nikon Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,896 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE (RaidersRock @ Sep 30 2008, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
SM, I appreciate your thoughts, no they don't get the practice times they need & I know that fall ball is not as competitive. You & I both know what happens out there with coaching, most of them don't have a clue. I agree that they need to learn the fundamentals but what after that. As taxpayers we pay for this program that is going downhill big time, something needs to be done to offer more serious opportunities to compete, maybe they could focus more on the girls programs than the men's softball.

I agree there needs to be more focus on the girls, NOT the men.

But, Rec is Rec, I have lived all over the USA and rec is always intermural play, so the kids can learn and grow as players. They then graduate on to middle school, or high school ball, or travel teams. Yes, rec needs to be well run, by people who have the girls best interest in mind. So, how do we go about voting out the ones who don't?

I do have to say, most of our coaches are hard working, dedicated individuals, who really enjoy working with the girls. I will never fault any of them, who are there, trying their best to coach the girls.

Now the ones who don't show up for games and practice, well, thats another story rolleyes.gif

I will finish by saying, my oldest daughter has been playing ball since she was 3. She will probably never be a travel player, she just is not that competitve. She enjoys rec ball, I enjoy rec ball, I don't want to be a travel mom, lol However, I do want what I pay for, not only in park fees, but through my taxes. And as high as my taxes are, we should have a kick azz rec program.

#23 fastpitchdad

fastpitchdad

Paulding Com member

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:56 PM

Tommy could care less about that program from what I have seen. I was given a hard time for allowing a travel team to practice out of Taylor Farms when Rec season was over (fields wide open). The hoops they wanted me to jump through, and Tommy never returned a phone call or email regarding it. I have talked to several coaches

Let a volunteer run the fastpitch program as previously mentioned. I bet it would do well

I agree that most of the coaches are doing their best. Guess what? They are volunteers and doing it because they want to. But their hands are tied with limited resources and no practice time.

How do we express our opinion and make a change?
The poster formerly known as Universal Office Solutions

Help bring fastpitch back to Paulding ~Join our group~

#24 GOOSE

GOOSE

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 05:22 PM

Who is in charge of the Recreation Office? My guess would be to tell your opinion to the boss of that office.

QUOTE (fastpitchdad @ Oct 1 2008, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tommy could care less about that program from what I have seen. I was given a hard time for allowing a travel team to practice out of Taylor Farms when Rec season was over (fields wide open). The hoops they wanted me to jump through, and Tommy never returned a phone call or email regarding it. I have talked to several coaches

Let a volunteer run the fastpitch program as previously mentioned. I bet it would do well

I agree that most of the coaches are doing their best. Guess what? They are volunteers and doing it because they want to. But their hands are tied with limited resources and no practice time.

#25 Georgia Peach Mom

Georgia Peach Mom

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:05 PM

Well I sort of agree with whoever said something about an A and B teams. I think the girls should try out based on their ability not their age. It is not fair to put a girl that has played for 3 or 4 years with girls that have never seen a softball. JMO
Enjoy the little things in life because one day you will look back and realize that they were big things!

#26 yellowduckdog

yellowduckdog

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE (fastpitchdad @ Oct 1 2008, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As a coach now in the s-ball league I can assure he could not care less about girls softball. My girls love softball & I enjoy coaching the kids more than you will ever know! However if you volunteer you are hung out to dry at that point, with no consistency as far as uniforms, umpires sent to the wrong fields no practice times.You would think that fall ball would get a practice once a week (since it is the instructional time after all) but that is not the case.It is getting where I want to take my team to West Cobb as well & that is unfortunate since I live almost in C-ville. I cant believe a county of this size is this unorganized & no one cares!!!How about we start with David Austin?!?!
Cops 15 Minutes 9MM 1.15 secs which do you choose?

#27 Johnboy tr

Johnboy tr

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,727 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:45 PM

i started coaching slow pitch in paulding county in 1997, when i started there was around 15 teams in each age group, we got 2 practices a week, as time went along there was less and less teams every year because baseball was trying to take over the parks, they did take over them and softball went to the county under tommy dooley, who i believe answered to michael justice, since they took over every team that i coached , and coached against had to go out of county to play because they would not allow us to play or have field times to practice,most of us started playing travel ball out of this cobb & douglas counties because we were not allow in paulding to play, so in a just tommy and his boss ran everybody out of paulding to play. so you tell me who is the blame for our poor softball turnout and skill level. if you look at the girls on the school teams you'll find very very few that play ball in p.c. in the off season, they all play in cobb or douglas

#28 fastpitchdad

fastpitchdad

Paulding Com member

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:40 AM

QUOTE (yellowduckdog @ Oct 1 2008, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As a coach now in the s-ball league I can assure he could not care less about girls softball. My girls love softball & I enjoy coaching the kids more than you will ever know! However if you volunteer you are hung out to dry at that point, with no consistency as far as uniforms, umpires sent to the wrong fields no practice times.You would think that fall ball would get a practice once a week (since it is the instructional time after all) but that is not the case.It is getting where I want to take my team to West Cobb as well & that is unfortunate since I live almost in C-ville. I cant believe a county of this size is this unorganized & no one cares!!!How about we start with David Austin?!?!

Your right, I meant to say could NOT care less

Who is in charge of the Recreation Office? My guess would be to tell your opinion to the boss of that office.

I know people have complained to Michael Justice, the director and nothing has been done.
The poster formerly known as Universal Office Solutions

Help bring fastpitch back to Paulding ~Join our group~

#29 Johnboy tr

Johnboy tr

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,727 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:04 AM

QUOTE (fastpitchdad @ Oct 2 2008, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your right, I meant to say could NOT care less

I know people have complained to Michael Justice, the director and nothing has been done.

it's because he does'nt care

#30 flava

flava

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:21 AM

QUOTE (yellowduckdog @ Oct 1 2008, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We play football, baseball, and cheerleading through New Georgia/South Paulding and they offer a great organization! They also offer girls slowpitch softball in the spring as well. I have spoken to them about expanding their girls softball program to include girls fastpitch...they are very interested in this idea. They are looking for a group of people that would head up this organization and start building it. If anyone is interested in doing this, let me know and I will get us on the agenda for the next board meeting.

Also, for those that might be interested...this park is ran by a great group of CHIRSTIAN LEADERS in our county! They are 100% about kids and family FIRST! They offer a variety of events that no other organization that I have been apart of offers, for instance they have group devotions with players and parents, they have an onsite park chapelin, and more.

Just another example of the kind of LEADERS this park has teaching your children...140LB football team had a player get seriously injured a few weeks ago during the game, as soon as that game was finished our entire team (and parents) got down on their knees and prayed for the healing of this child on the opposing team. I don't know about you, but I've never been involved in any other organization that has done that before!

If you are interested helping give our local Paulding County girls softball players (fastpitch or slowpitch) the same opportunities that the surrounding counties give their residents, PM me and we can talk more about getting started. Also, if you are simply interested in moving your team/organization to their park, I know they would also welcome you in with open arms as well.

#31 madcohort

madcohort

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 02:51 PM

NOW THAT POST IS WHAT WE SHOULD BE DOING....
THINKING AND WORKING TOWARD WHAT WE WANT TO ACCOMPLISH AND NOT POINTING FINGERS!

GOOD LUCK!!!

#32 GOOSE

GOOSE

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (madcohort @ Oct 2 2008, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
NOW THAT POST IS WHAT WE SHOULD BE DOING....
THINKING AND WORKING TOWARD WHAT WE WANT TO ACCOMPLISH AND NOT POINTING FINGERS!

GOOD LUCK!!!

I dont think we should have to leave the county rec to have what is needed. We need someone to force Dooley to get out of the way and allow someone else to run the program. Try doing any sport that Dooley is involved in and you will quickly learn you cant accomplish anything because he wont allow it, unless of course your playing on his baseball team. You might even try complaining about him but it will go nowhere. I also agree there should be A and B divisions and lets keep our people and money in Paulding. I wonder if the commissioners has any idea how much money could be brought into Paulding by having a competive league and tournaments, but im sure none of the businesses in Paulding could use any money, just go over to Lost Mt Park any day and see what could be had here in Paulding.

#33 irish

irish

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:13 PM

FACTS----

Dooley and Justus are basically politicians. They keep the expense numbers down so nobody asks questions and leave them alone. They fail to see the big picture: there is money to be made with our programs and in our parks. Community parks such as Ridge Rd or Ruritan survive on concession sales and bidding for tournaments. Example- Taylor Farm has been out of hot dogs for a week. So they have 3 people working the concession stand to serve $1 drinks and .05 cent bubble gum. You have games/practices starting at dinner time until late in the eve. Perfect opportunity to make money. Softball is the #1 sport for girls/young women in our country and the market is growing every year. D and J can't see past their desks.

This is what really upsets me: 1) Dooley/Justus have my dream job. I would love to take this county parks and rec dept beyond the next level. We are once again one of the fastest growing counties in the country and our residents have to travel to other counties to participate in a decent program. I'm not campaigning I'm just saying they should start doing their jobs because things are only going to get bigger around here. 2) They are cheating our kids. I went to college on an athletic scholarship...my brother went to college on an athletic scholarship. Think it's impossible?....NEVER! You're kid may not play division I but I am here to tell you with some talent and good grades, kids can take that love of a sport and help pay for school. My brother was like Rudy....no athletic talent but heart. He went to a Div III school, got a good education and football paid for about half of it.

I say let's stop thinking small....start a petition, flood D and J with phone calls, call higher and higher up the ladder. One thing I've learned...softball parents are active and energetic....so let's figure this out and do something.! (this is my first post so I hope to hel* I don't get in trouble. I just say what I believe in and I reallllyyy believe in kids!)

#34 Sue

Sue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:49 PM

QUOTE (flava @ Sep 30 2008, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have coached in this county several years, both when the private parks had individual softball leagues and through PCPRD. And let me say, that I'll never coach at PCPRD again, unless some major changes are made! As a coach, your hands are tied...every decision you make has to go before the "PAID" staff AND YES, THIS IS THIER FULL TIME JOB! There are no COACHING CLINICS put on to educate our coaches; there are no PLAYER CAMPS put on to educate our players; and the only park that has ever put on a "GREAT" camp is East Paulding (California) and they stopped putting on the camp all together this past summer.

The worst thing that could have happened was when the county took back over girls softball! Why? Because the parks are more worried about there "MENS" league than they are the "GIRLS" league! We have a great softball program in this county...the only problem is, it's for men! We only get to have the fields one day a week for practice, because the men's league has them the rest of the time.

What are the two strongest sports in Paulding County? FOOTBALL AND BASEBALL!!! Why? Because they are ran at individual parks, by local board members that care about what's going on within that organization and not by "PAID" representatives that are running a dictatorship!

And why don't we have traveling ball in this county? Well I'll tell you...the county won't give up their fields for an "OUTSIDE" organization to practice! And we say it's all about the girls! This county is ran by ONE MAN and we need to look at replacing him before things will change or (my suggestion) get it back into the local private ran parks in the county!

Amen

#35 Georgia Peach Mom

Georgia Peach Mom

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 05:24 AM

Well, we got PO'd the other night when we were at Mt Tabor on the "softball" fields and were asked to cut our practice so that 2 little boys could get "extra practice"! Now what kind of crap is that?? Do you really think that the baseball team would have gotten off of their "baseball" field for 2 girls?? They really need to get their priorities straight or they are going to run all of the softball players off all together! I would also like to know why we still had to pay the same amount as we have every year but the All Stars did not get jerseys from the park nor did they get medals for the end of the season like they always have in the past. If they are not going to keep the same package then we should not have to pay as much!
Enjoy the little things in life because one day you will look back and realize that they were big things!

#36 spunky

spunky

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:23 AM

QUOTE (irish @ Oct 3 2008, 12:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FACTS----

Dooley and Justus are basically politicians. They keep the expense numbers down so nobody asks questions and leave them alone. They fail to see the big picture: there is money to be made with our programs and in our parks. Community parks such as Ridge Rd or Ruritan survive on concession sales and bidding for tournaments. Example- Taylor Farm has been out of hot dogs for a week. So they have 3 people working the concession stand to serve $1 drinks and .05 cent bubble gum. You have games/practices starting at dinner time until late in the eve. Perfect opportunity to make money. Softball is the #1 sport for girls/young women in our country and the market is growing every year. D and J can't see past their desks.

This is what really upsets me: 1) Dooley/Justus have my dream job. I would love to take this county parks and rec dept beyond the next level. We are once again one of the fastest growing counties in the country and our residents have to travel to other counties to participate in a decent program. I'm not campaigning I'm just saying they should start doing their jobs because things are only going to get bigger around here. 2) They are cheating our kids. I went to college on an athletic scholarship...my brother went to college on an athletic scholarship. Think it's impossible?....NEVER! You're kid may not play division I but I am here to tell you with some talent and good grades, kids can take that love of a sport and help pay for school. My brother was like Rudy....no athletic talent but heart. He went to a Div III school, got a good education and football paid for about half of it.

I say let's stop thinking small....start a petition, flood D and J with phone calls, call higher and higher up the ladder. One thing I've learned...softball parents are active and energetic....so let's figure this out and do something.! (this is my first post so I hope to hel* I don't get in trouble. I just say what I believe in and I reallllyyy believe in kids!)

you are correct. It makes me mad that they won't host a fastpitch tournament. Thats big bucks. All the travel teams wouldn't have to drive so far to play a tournament. It would be great to play local. We drive to Adams park in Kennesaw for our practices

#37 madcohort

madcohort

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:01 AM

THEN DOOOOOOOOOOOOO SOMETHING!!!

RUN FOR OFFICE... START THE PETITIOTN... TALK TO A LOCAL ORGANIZATION!!

DO SOOOOOOOMETHING!! BUT COMPLAINING HERE WONT GET YOU WHAT YOU WANT!

#38 Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown

Icon

• +Member plus Orange
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,279 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:21 AM

QUOTE (madcohort @ Oct 3 2008, 08:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
THEN DOOOOOOOOOOOOO SOMETHING!!!

RUN FOR OFFICE... START THE PETITIOTN... TALK TO A LOCAL ORGANIZATION!!

DO SOOOOOOOMETHING!! BUT COMPLAINING HERE WONT GET YOU WHAT YOU WANT!

Madcohort, are you Tommy Dooley? huh.gif What is your affiliation with Parks & Rec and why are you so defensive? dry.gif

#39 HiramGirl

HiramGirl

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,215 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:17 AM

That would be Tommy Dooley.... wink.gif

QUOTE (Charlie Brown @ Oct 3 2008, 08:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Madcohort, are you Michael Dooley? huh.gif What is your affiliation with Parks & Rec and why are you so defensive? dry.gif

#40 madcohort

madcohort

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:30 AM

LOL!!! No not Dooley.

And not defensive.

Just a coach and parent like y'all.....

But this constant complaining irritates me. It it like Dems and Repsss.. always got ideas but never solve anything!!!

The thread would be better served if the originator stated like this:

Hey everyone! I am just tired of how Girls Softball get the shaft in PC. I want to do "this". I want to take "this" proposal to teh board. What do you think? What else can we do to make it better? I realize that this will take time and effort. i want to have this done by fall ball next year. Can I get your help and support?

But instead we get Dooley sux and justice doesnt care and blah blah blah!!!

Do something!!!!

Take FLAVA up on her offer and talk with the NEW GA board. I know some members and I bet they would be willing to help organize softball on the competitive level again!!

But gosh.. quit whining .

On a completely different subject: Nice picture, Charlie Brown! smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics