22 replies to this topic

#1 _sMoKe_

_sMoKe_

Paulding Com member

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:04 AM

Every time it rains with just the slightest lighting and thunder, my DSL takes a crap. Anyone else have this problem? Any fixes you can share? huh.gif
"You do your thing, I'll do mine"

#2 Glassdogs

Glassdogs

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:16 AM

QUOTE (sMoKe1962 @ Jul 13 2008, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time it rains with just the slightest lighting and thunder, my DSL takes a crap. Anyone else have this problem? Any fixes you can share? huh.gif

Yep. Been down that ugly road.

Is your phone line buried? Got one of those pedestals in your yard? It could be anywhere from the interface on your house all the way back to the DSLAM. The Bell-speak for the problem is a "high-open". Mine was cutting out when it got cold, as well as wet. This is a common problem, but BS will NOT admit it.

I went through the ususal Hindu-speak trying to get a fix, and got nowhere. I just happened to mention the problem one day in a group of people, and a guy I didn't know asked me for my business card. I got a call from him the next morning, turns out he works for BS/ATT corporate and is a big-wheel in DSL. He dispatched a tech, and they switched copper pairs from the side of my house all the way to the DSLAM on 92 @ EPaulding. Problem solved.

It pays to have friends in high places. wink.gif

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist".

#3 Riograce

Riograce

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,480 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:24 AM

No problems with our DSL, :::knocking wood::: but our phone cuts out for a while after it rains. BS (gotta love those initials!) allegedly fixed it a few months ago, but it's doing it again.

#4 LabMom

LabMom

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,530 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:33 AM

Hubby was on the phone last night at 11:00 going around with BS.(yes, I love that acronym, so appropriate.) They keep saying that the problem is inside the house. Hubby says it's not. Internet was down for about 5 hours on Fri. an hour or so last night, and has been hiccupping today.
Sorry, I don't take guilt trips. I already travel too much as it is..

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons....For you are crunchy & good with ketchup!

Oh, but please, don't let the facts get in the way of your opinion.

#5 Mektige

Mektige

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:42 AM

Always happens here.
Editor-in-chief at www.pixelvolt.com.

#6 The Sound Guy

The Sound Guy

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,347 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 03:29 PM

Yep quite a bit.

It seems to hang my router too... sometimes I can reboot the router and it will come right back up.

Watch the light on your modem for the DSL link. If it starts blinking, it's lost sync with the DSLAM in the cabinet and you are down.

The other issue I've been having is the DSL is up, but I can't log into the ATM switch from the router (connection will not come up).

I live on 61N and use the cabinet at 61 and Dabbs Bridge. The fiber link is back to the Dallas CO and it appears to be buried as the crews that are burying that gas/water/whatever line seem to have a fiber magnet and have hit the cable over and over and it takes BS 6-8 hours to get a splicing crew out here and put it back together.

I'm about ready to start calling and demanding some service credit. Maybe that will get their attention.

I use this link for work, I can't afford for it to be out all the time.

Dang, just dropped and recovered while i was pre-viewing this post. Pain in the neck.

SG

DISCLAIMER: The information and opinions expressed in this post are not necessarily the opinions of the author and may be denied or disregarded at a later date. Reading of this paragraph constitutes as agreement on part of reader not to hold author responsible for any damaging effects resulting from reading and agreeing with anything said in this post; furthermore reader waives all future claims resulting from changes in law which may render this disclaimer null and void. This disclaimer is valid in all states with the exception of those states which have laws forbidding the existence of this disclaimer, and in states where such laws exist the reader agrees to read this disclaimer in a state where this disclaimer is binding.

Oh yea, Pubby says "Ditto"

#7 Paulding Navigator Team

Paulding Navigator Team

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 03:33 PM

Just had AT&T out to my house this morning to fix my telephone line (and computer line)..... Even though the phone usually goes out after a rain, he said that some cable work had taken place up the road from me and when they went to fix it, mine wasn't connected correctly. He repaired it and now both work.... maybe you live close to me and have the same issue.... I live around Nebo Road and Hwy. 61.

#8 jlewi

jlewi

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE (The Sound Guy @ Jul 13 2008, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep quite a bit.

It seems to hang my router too... sometimes I can reboot the router and it will come right back up.

Watch the light on your modem for the DSL link. If it starts blinking, it's lost sync with the DSLAM in the cabinet and you are down.

The other issue I've been having is the DSL is up, but I can't log into the ATM switch from the router (connection will not come up).

I live on 61N and use the cabinet at 61 and Dabbs Bridge. The fiber link is back to the Dallas CO and it appears to be buried as the crews that are burying that gas/water/whatever line seem to have a fiber magnet and have hit the cable over and over and it takes BS 6-8 hours to get a splicing crew out here and put it back together.

I'm about ready to start calling and demanding some service credit. Maybe that will get their attention.

I use this link for work, I can't afford for it to be out all the time.

Dang, just dropped and recovered while i was pre-viewing this post. Pain in the neck.

SG

Why don't you call the contracters and demand they pay for your down time. It isn't ATT fault that the dumb arses hit the cable.They just don't have fiber splicers sitting around waiting at the work center for damages to be called in.

#9 snikerfitz

snikerfitz

When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,631 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 03:57 PM

HA that makes me laugh funny how my cable modem as well as my tv only works when the sun is not out... Luckily I have internet today cause it is cloudy and rainy...

while I'm loathe to admit it, rules are meant to be broken, nudged and shoved around every now and then when a higher good, greater benefit is available. Pubby 01/07/09

"Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, and beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long. Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger ... Show respect to all people and bow to no one ... "~Tecumseh, Shawnee~"

I live my life for no one but me.... Don't try and change me, convince me, or criticize me. I don't walk on water and don't claim to. Like me, Love me, or Hate me. I could care less.

#10 MillCreek

MillCreek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 04:01 PM

I wuv my DSL wub.gif Hopefully, I didn't jinx myself.....

#11 CarolineElizabeth

CarolineElizabeth

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,615 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 04:02 PM

my direct tv always goes out!

#12 November Rain

November Rain

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE (CarolineElizabeth @ Jul 13 2008, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my direct tv always goes out!

Ha, I was wanting to know if they get their DSL from DishNetwork somehow...

#13 jjsmom

jjsmom

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:33 PM

Ours used to do this too..AND the phone would have a loud buzzing noise. I kept calling and they kept coming out and saying they could not find anything, it was probably in our wiring inside the house. Well, about 6 months ago they replaced the fiber optic lines out at the end of the road, and we have not had any problems since...knock on wood..

#14 EleytenX

EleytenX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:33 PM

My DSL has ben on and off since the rain started, the phone has been on and off and our phone has called 911 3 times this week when the phone was out. Yah that 4am knock at the door from a 911 hangup call is not all that fun and very annoying.

#15 West Metro Realty

West Metro Realty

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:40 PM

We recently moved to the woods and our power goes out often with the rain. We are so not used to that, but LOVE the rain because our backyard waterfall is BACK--yeah! My son was married in front of the waterfall on June 1st. On June 3rd or 4th, it went dry and has only recently come back. Today it is gushing! So, we don't mind losing the DSL and power. We just light a candle and open the doors and windows to hear it--(and to let our dog inside. She's a wimp when it rains and thunders.)

Betty

Choose the Real Estate Agents at West Metro Realty for all of your real estate needs. PauldingRealEstate.com
http://www.paulding.com/ads/Westmetro2008.swf

#16 SushiBoofay

SushiBoofay

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:24 AM

QUOTE (ReadingRules @ Jul 13 2008, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just had AT&T out to my house this morning to fix my telephone line (and computer line)..... Even though the phone usually goes out after a rain, he said that some cable work had taken place up the road from me and when they went to fix it, mine wasn't connected correctly. He repaired it and now both work.... maybe you live close to me and have the same issue.... I live around Nebo Road and Hwy. 61.

Hmmmmm....I'm seeing a Hwy 61 connection.....we live near 61 too..... sad.gif

A stout-hearted mouse can lift an elephant

#17 Go BLUE!

Go BLUE!

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,233 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:05 AM

Everytime it rains my entire PHONE line goes out - they have no idea what the issue is but magically get it fixed within 24 hours after I call to complain. dry.gif

Posted Image
"If heaven ain't a lot like Detroit, I don't wanna go....if they ain't got no 8 Mile like they do up in the D, then send me to hell or Salt Lake City it would be about the same to me." - Uncle Kracker

#18 ~Hey Lee~

~Hey Lee~

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:08 AM

Ours has been doing the very same thing. Phones and DSL goes out. I've never noticed it until the last few rains/storms we had.

#19 Livin Life

Livin Life

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:15 AM

We have not had any trouble with our DSL.

QUOTE (snikerfitz @ Jul 13 2008, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HA that makes me laugh funny how my cable modem as well as my tv only works when the sun is not out... Luckily I have internet today cause it is cloudy and rainy...

That is funny. When we had cable TV it would go out on sunny days.

Don't sweat it!

#20 ~*Kim*~

~*Kim*~

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:49 AM

My DSL goes out all the time, rain or shine...

My phone ALWAYS has VERY VERY bad static... When I called BS the last time to report it, they said that there was some trouble in the outside lines, and that they would have someone over in about 2 days, so ol' buddy comes out to the house and says that there is nothing wrong with the lines... I told him to leave me his number and I would call him when I got home to show him.

So I called him and he was like "oh, it does have static..." He said he would come back out to my house to fix it, and I have never heard of him again.

I am so tired of BS, but I cant get cable out at my house, and I live so far back in the sticks that I cant get service on my cell. So I guess I am stuck. sad.gif
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference. - Unknown

R.I.P Subway

#21 MikilDemion

MikilDemion

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:23 AM

Use to have this issue, and during the winter whenever the temp dropped below freezing.

I must have lucked out with the BS tech. He checked the box at the entrance to the neighborhood, replaced 3 things there, and all the issues went away. Haven't had an issue since.

I did have issues with the phone and rain when we lived in Smyrna. Turned out the line from the pole to the house lost about a foot of shielding. So they had to come out and replace it.
Where am I?! What am I doing in this basket? And why is it so freaking hot!?

#22 PsychoMom

PsychoMom

La La La . . . I can't hear you!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,903 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:31 AM

BS is really getting on my last nerve! I haven't had internet since lighting hit last week. The modem has power, but no signal. They told me it could be the line, or the wiring inside. Well, the phone works on that line, but not the internet. And our phone usually stops working after it rains for a few days, then we have that buzzing sound. They said it was inside the house. Interesting since the rain is OUTSIDE! I am considering switching to Verizon internet and getting a Magic Jack for phone service. Our DirecTV is out too, but lightning hit the dish and blew out the TV and DVR and DVD and Surround Sound. Lovely weekend around my house.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old we grow old because we stop playing."
(George Bernard Shaw)

#23 S~M

S~M

The Nikon Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,894 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:52 AM

I am on the phone with MOMOF3IBE, she has been without internet since yesterday sad.gif She is sad....take that back, she is MAD!

She went through the whole run around with the tech support from India, was supposed to have someone come fix it today by noon. We she got an automated phone call this morning telling her they would fix it tomorrow by 5? She went off the hook on BS, lol

OTOH, I have BS and no problems smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics