13 replies to this topic

#1 Turning the other cheek

Turning the other cheek

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:52 PM

It's nice and warm and toasty by the fire here at the house tonight watching the beautiful snow. But the snow is not so beautiful to everyone. Tonight is going to be pretty rough for many who are outside in the weather with now nice, warm house to sleep in.
Come by the church anytime to drop off your coats, blankets, sleeping bags, socks, thermal underwear, scarfs, gloves, and toboggan hats.

St. James Community Church does 90% of our ministries here in Paulding county, but we also have a ministry that is focused on those who live on the streets (actually, in the woods, under bridges, abandoned buildings/stores) along Fulton Industrial and other Atlanta areas.

Thank you,
Pastor Matt
678-531-1107
Turning the other cheek 'outta here'!

#2 Bumplett

Bumplett

bumpity bump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,104 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:37 PM

Pastor Matt,

Could you tell us where your church is located??
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Posted Image

Don't BREED or BUY while SHELTER PETS DIE!!!

"A sensible man knows you can't please everybody. A wise man knows you can't please anybody." Richard Needham

#3 Turning the other cheek

Turning the other cheek

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE (Bumplett @ Jan 16 2008, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pastor Matt,
Could you tell us where your church is located??

460 South Johnston Street, Dallas

www.saintjamescc.com

#4 JBrigman

JBrigman

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,296 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:25 PM

I really don't mean this to sound dumb...but do we actually have homeless people in Paulding?
Don't Litter -- Fix Your Critter! And remember, rescued animals make the best pets!

#5 Goodbye

Goodbye

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,096 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:19 AM

i actually do have a couple of old coats that are still in good condition. i'll try to get by your church by friday and drop them off. i'd rather give them to someone that needs them than to keep them hanging in my closet. i know there are many who don't have a way to stay warm, and while the coats don't solve all their problems, if they help in some way then i'll be happy.

#6 BabeCake

BabeCake

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,025 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 04:31 AM

When I was gathering items for the women's shelter I cound the best place to pick up sheets, blankets, pillows and toiletries was hotels. They have to rotate their linens every few months and usually end up throwing them away because they don't have anyone to take them. The Holiday Inn on the Marietta Loop donated 4 pick up loads of pillows and blankets.

It never could hurt to ask.

#7 Bumplett

Bumplett

bumpity bump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,104 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:28 AM

QUOTE (JBrigman @ Jan 16 2008, 11:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really don't mean this to sound dumb...but do we actually have homeless people in Paulding?

I don't think it's a dumb question JB - it's hard to imagine something that's so well hidden - I never would have known that downtown Dallas had a red light district if someone hadn't told me where to look ohmy.gif - It's around us, we just aren't looking with our eyes wide open ~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Posted Image

Don't BREED or BUY while SHELTER PETS DIE!!!

"A sensible man knows you can't please everybody. A wise man knows you can't please anybody." Richard Needham

#8 Ernnnnnnnn

Ernnnnnnnn

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,758 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:39 AM

QUOTE (Bumplett @ Jan 17 2008, 06:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think it's a dumb question JB - it's hard to imagine something that's so well hidden - I never would have known that downtown Dallas had a red light district if someone hadn't told me where to look ohmy.gif - It's around us, we just aren't looking with our eyes wide open ~

ohmy.gif mellow.gif

#9 Turning the other cheek

Turning the other cheek

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:02 AM

QUOTE (JBrigman @ Jan 16 2008, 11:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually yes. We don't have homeless people sleeping on the city square, but there are places where you will find homeless in abandoned buildings/houses, and in the woods.
I believe we have very few homeless, but what we do have more of are folks who may have a trailer/house that don't have the money to have gas for heat or even electricity.

About a year ago, we had a young hispanic lady who was pregnant come into one of our services. We soon found that she could speak no english, but we able to have someone who could speak enough for her to tell us she needed food. We gave her the food and then found out that she was living nearly in the backyard of the church in a small shack that didn't even have floors. The building she was living in was right in our own backyard almost, and we didn't even know it.

But, even more so there are multitudes of homeless living around the area of Fulton Industrial where we go to minister to as well.

Here is a topic with pictures of one of our visits...
http://www.paulding....=...t&p=1191628

QUOTE (lisabug606 @ Jan 17 2008, 01:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i actually do have a couple of old coats that are still in good condition. i'll try to get by your church by friday and drop them off. i'd rather give them to someone that needs them than to keep them hanging in my closet. i know there are many who don't have a way to stay warm, and while the coats don't solve all their problems, if they help in some way then i'll be happy.

Thank you. If no one is there, you may leave them on the front porch area. Thank you!!

QUOTE (BabeCake @ Jan 17 2008, 04:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I was gathering items for the women's shelter I cound the best place to pick up sheets, blankets, pillows and toiletries was hotels. They have to rotate their linens every few months and usually end up throwing them away because they don't have anyone to take them. The Holiday Inn on the Marietta Loop donated 4 pick up loads of pillows and blankets.

It never could hurt to ask.

That's a good idea, never thought of it! biggrin.gif

#10 UpgradedToPlatinum!

UpgradedToPlatinum!

One Day At A Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,308 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:14 AM

Hey Matt! I'm about to move, and I'm gonna have a ton of stuff for you!! I'll try to bring it this weekend to the church. I have blankets out the wazoo and was wondering what I was gonna do with them all!!
Posted Image

#11 kristyk

kristyk

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:17 PM

I have alot of old blankets that I can bring by there and I will check on some old coats as well. I would hate to know that I was out in the cold right now with nothing to keep warm.

#12 Turning the other cheek

Turning the other cheek

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE (Goldngrl @ Jan 17 2008, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Matt! I'm about to move, and I'm gonna have a ton of stuff for you!! I'll try to bring it this weekend to the church. I have blankets out the wazoo and was wondering what I was gonna do with them all!!

QUOTE (kristyk @ Jan 17 2008, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have alot of old blankets that I can bring by there and I will check on some old coats as well. I would hate to know that I was out in the cold right now with nothing to keep warm.

Thanks!! If you can get them to us this week, we have a group of us that are going out this saturday morning with clothing, jackets, and warm food. We would like to take as much warm stuff that we can!!

#13 Turning the other cheek

Turning the other cheek

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:43 AM

Sure was really cold last night and is still cold this morning.

16 degrees...wind chill makes it feel like 6 degrees!!!! ohmy.gif

Get your old coats, jackets, scarfs, gloves, blankets, and sleeping bags together this week!!

Donate you items to St. James Community Church. Next Saturday we will be out at Fulton Industrial to give out these warm clothes and also provide a fresh hot meal.

Thank you,
Pastor Matt

#14 Turning the other cheek

Turning the other cheek

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 11:25 AM

OK everyone. Today is the last day to get in your donations!! We are going out tomorrow to bring these items to those in need!

Please consider bringing these items by the church this afternoon and evening.

Matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics