9 replies to this topic

#1 musicteach

musicteach

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:47 PM

Now, I know how some paulding.commers feel about people trying to get rid of pets on this site, but, please hear me out before you judge. My husband and I have a house full of pets- three dogs and two cats. All of our pets are shelter rescues. Our most recent addition, the dog referenced above, became a member of our family about six weeks ago. We adopted her from the Douglas County Animal Shelter. She was at the shelter because her owners, who were moving away, could not take her with them. She was only at the shelter a few days before we adopted her, and we feel in love with her instantly. I was looking for a smaller dog, but not a puppy, that could be my "lap dog".

Sadie, as we are calling her, has never been in a household with cats. We have two cats, and they are not getting along well. She chases them around the house, which has caused us to have to keep them seperated. We thought, after a couple of weeks, she would get over the "newness" of the cats, and stop, but she hasn't. It is becoming difficult to manage her, so we are looking to see if anyone would like to have her as a pet.

She just recently visited our vet, Douglas Oaks Animal Hospital, and the vet said she is five years old. She is spayed, just had all her shots for a year, and is about 31 pounds. She is a Welsh Corgi/Basset Hound mix. She is very quiet, rarely barks, and loves to sit in your lap. She is very much a house dog. The first week we had her, she slept in a crate (we wanted to make sure she was house broken), and we discovered she is crate trained. She is also housebroken, and the first thing she will do when she gets outside in the morning is go to the bathroom. She walks on a leash well also. She gets along very well with our other two dogs, who are much bigger than she. (one is 70+ pounds, and one is 45+ pounds).

We haven't had to train Sadie for any commands- she knows sit, come, and stay. However, she does better with visual cues, such as pointing your finger down if you want her to get off furniture. I think the people who owned Sadie before we adopted her beat her, as the is a little skidish around men until she gets to know you. If you raise your hand at her to pet her, she thinks you are going to hit her and cowers.

She is the perfect addition for a family with small children, as she is a calm dog, and loves to give and receive kisses.

My husband and I are not going to take her back to the shelter, but, we can't keep her and let her terrorize our cats. They have been members of our family for years now, and have not had any issues with the other dogs- we just don't think it's fair that Sadie bothers them.

If anyone is interested, PM me. I will check back often. I can email a picture, but, for some reason, I can't get it to attach to this post.

Musicteach

#2 musicteach

musicteach

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 08:28 PM

Attached File  Sadie__s_picture.bmp   58.19KB   571 downloads

I now have the picture attached- she is cute!

#3 PauldingPeach

PauldingPeach

Caught In The Twillight Zone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,109 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 08:30 PM

I'm sorry Sadie didn't work out for you. I hope you get a taker for her soon. Good luck.
QUOTE (musicteach @ Sep 9 2007, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Attached File  Sadie__s_picture.bmp   58.19KB   571 downloadsI now have the picture attached- she is cute!
She is cute. You can tell her little tail is wagging. wub.gif
Formerly Dogz~n~Katz

#4 musicteach

musicteach

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE (MustLuvDogznKatz @ Sep 9 2007, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sorry Sadie didn't work out for you. I hope you get a taker for her soon. Good luck.She is cute. You can tell her little tail is wagging. wub.gif

Thanks for the well wishes- we really hope someone who needs a sweet, smaller dog would like to have her in their family. We have been trying to figure out a way to make things work, but we are running out of ideas, other than lock the cats in the basement whenever Sadie is in the house...

#5 PauldingPeach

PauldingPeach

Caught In The Twillight Zone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,109 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 08:33 PM

Sadie_musicteach.jpg
Formerly Dogz~n~Katz

#6 Riograce

Riograce

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,480 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 08:44 PM

I'm sorry that Sadie needs a new home, but I completely understand - and appreciate! - your desire to make your prior pets happy. I'm always sad when I read of someone wanting to get rid of their *first* pet[s] while keeping the newest one. It's never seemed fair to me.

We just recently adopted a dog - our first! - from the PCAC. We have five cats, so we were apprehensive as to how Chloe would fit into our household. Two weeks later, two of the five have pretty much accepted Chloe, moving about the house as usual. Two others - our most skittish ones at the best of times - will come into the room with her, but are still very cautious and actively avoid her. Our youngest, Flicker, is the funniest to watch --- I really think he's *jealous* of Chloe, much as any other youngest sibling would be upon the introduction of a new brother or sister. He steers clear of her, but when he does have contact with her, he hisses and bows up and generally tries to intimidate her. Chloe, in the meantime, just looks a little bemused.

I wish you well in your search for a new home for Sadie. smile.gif

#7 musicteach

musicteach

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 09:05 PM

I'm glad Chloe has worked out with your family! That's good news. Sadie refuses to leave the cats alone- she chases them, and when they hide, she just sits and waits for them. I think she needs a home with no cats- dogs are not a problem, though. She does well with her brother and sister pups.

#8 musicteach

musicteach

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 05:47 AM

If anyone is interested, just PM me. I will be at work (teacher), and p.com is blocked from the schools, so I won't be able to check for updates.

This dog won't need to go to the vet for shots until August 08!

#9 TabbyCat

TabbyCat

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,962 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 06:55 AM

My guess would be that breaking Sadie of chasing cats will be very difficult. The problem is that Corgis are herding dogs, and when they see an animal running from them like that, it's pure instinct to "herd" them.

We have a Corgi who lives with 4 cats. When she was a puppy, the herding behavior was TERRIBLE with everything that moved (even ME), but most especially with the cats. And though she is a very intelligent and obedient dog, it was difficult to break the herding behavior! Over time, two of the cats have become so close with her that they not only don't run from her, but instead they rub up against her and fall down at her feet. Another doesn't love her as much, but she doesn't run from her, so that kitty doesn't get chased. But the fourth kitty hates the dog and runs every time she sees her--and Lacey chases her EVERY SINGLE TIME!

I guess there's no chance of getting the kitties to stop running from her, huh?

If not, good luck with rehoming her. I've not known very many Bassets, but I know for a fact that Corgis are loyal, loving, and very intelligent dogs who love to please their owners!

Edited by TabbyCat, 10 September 2007 - 06:56 AM.

#10 musicteach

musicteach

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE (TabbyCat @ Sep 10 2007, 07:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My guess would be that breaking Sadie of chasing cats will be very difficult. The problem is that Corgis are herding dogs, and when they see an animal running from them like that, it's pure instinct to "herd" them.

We have a Corgi who lives with 4 cats. When she was a puppy, the herding behavior was TERRIBLE with everything that moved (even ME), but most especially with the cats. And though she is a very intelligent and obedient dog, it was difficult to break the herding behavior! Over time, two of the cats have become so close with her that they not only don't run from her, but instead they rub up against her and fall down at her feet. Another doesn't love her as much, but she doesn't run from her, so that kitty doesn't get chased. But the fourth kitty hates the dog and runs every time she sees her--and Lacey chases her EVERY SINGLE TIME!

I guess there's no chance of getting the kitties to stop running from her, huh?

If not, good luck with rehoming her. I've not known very many Bassets, but I know for a fact that Corgis are loyal, loving, and very intelligent dogs who love to please their owners!

Thanks for the insight- we continue to hope that she will "get over" the newness of the cats. Today, she had one of our cats hemmed up in the fenced in yard under a bush. She doesn't try to herd the other dogs, but she sure does get after the cats! This is our first Corgi, so I do appreciate the insight into their habits and behaviors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics