Paulding.com

Parks are big business

Apparently our tax funded new burnt hickory park building cannot be used by the public on ANY SUNDAY because the county without voting has rented it to a church for $50,000 not only will we not see any of that money put back in our parks but what is the counties responsibility in this situation, 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Relicrescue said:

Apparently our tax funded new burnt hickory park building cannot be used by the public on ANY SUNDAY because the county without voting has rented it to a church for $50,000 not only will we not see any of that money put back in our parks but what is the counties responsibility in this situation, 

No racket ball?

I doubt any vote was involved, the facility has always been available since it was built and It's always cost money to rent it on the weekend.    We paid for the use of the large ballroom for our daughter's and a friend's graduation party in 2016.  As I recall it was $400 or so for the day to decorate and use.     50K seems kinda high, unless that was for the entire year and for the entire building. 

The same thing happens when the school system rents the gym at a school for services.      I'm happy that the county facility is being used.  

29 minutes ago, The Sound Guy said:

I doubt any vote was involved, the facility has always been available since it was built and It's always cost money to rent it on the weekend.    We paid for the use of the large ballroom for our daughter's and a friend's graduation party in 2016.  As I recall it was $400 or so for the day to decorate and use.     50K seems kinda high, unless that was for the entire year and for the entire building. 

The same thing happens when the school system rents the gym at a school for services.      I'm happy that the county facility is being used.  

I don't mind it being used. Schools are not used for other purposes on Sundays or even Sunday nights or Wednesdays. Renting it out would not prevent the use of it as intended. My question is would renting it out prevent the use of other activities in the building during church services. I wish the OP would elaborate on where the money goes. We have built a lot of new parks and we are maintaining them at taxpayers expense.

no one other than church can be in building, I’ve known they rented buildings it just bothers me because they are taking in money on supposed to be a public building for profit and no one else even has the chance to rent on a Sunday for an event, and the county is responsible for all clean up and stuff no matter what happens 

• Like 2

"My question is would renting it out prevent the use of other activities in the building during church services"

"burnt hickory park building cannot be used by the public on ANY SUNDAY"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, the original post doesn't say there was a vote.  It says there was NOT a vote.  I took that point to mean it was a decision made without the public's (aka taxpayer's) knowledge.

Renting out a school facility that is not used on the weekend is one thing, but to make a park facility unavailable for half the weekend when most private citizens (aka taxpayers) might wish to rent it for an event is another. 

Churches don't pay the taxes that build or maintain parks, and the government doesn't pay for anything.  We do. 

• Like 1