Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Jennie

Lunches

I posted a few weeks ago about how to keep lunches cold while working in this Ga heat. Wanted to know if anyone has any ideas as to what to pack because my son is now sick of sandwiches. No microwave to heat anything up due to working outdoors. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. I did hamburgers but I am clueless! thanks!

Pasta Salad loaded with chunks of salami & cheese & veggies, dress the salad with italian dressing (no mayo)

Thermas of Soup, Chili, Stew, etc .... Can have chilled soups too.

Change up the sandwiches with wraps or stuffed pitas or tortillas

• Like 3

thanks Blondegal1, How well does that lunch hold up in a cooler left in a work truck in 100 degree weather? Looks great though!

You should look into getting a plugin cooler.

http://amzn.to/24qdlA7

I wouldn't recommend one.

I bought one years back and it was great for a bit, especially for long road trips. But it broke down twice and I trashed it - wasn't worth it to get it fixed the second time (1st was under warranty).

A problem in this situation is that the plugs in your car/truck/suv do not work unless the vehicle is running. Designed that way so you don't run down the battery. Don't think he would want to run his truck all morning.

Good thought though ....

• Like 1

I suggest you freeze water bottles to keep the lunches cool. I am sure he drinks lots of water.

He also probably needs calories. Make salads with avocado and bacon. Watermelon and cantaloupe do a better job of hydrating. Sandwiches and chips need a lot of water to digest properly. Fruit with cheese and meats will replenish the carbs and fluids he loses in this heat better.

• Like 2

thanks Brian, creative one and LPPT. Great tips and suggestions! I do freeze one gatorade and leave one cold along with 3 cooler packs. The company provides the water for them so he has unlimited supply. The plug in cooler does sound good but they would not want to waste the gas just to keep food cold. Thanks!

• Like 1

I also freeze water bottles for coolers. I reuse them over and over and mark them so not to use them to drink. No watery mess and pop back in the freezer at night.

thanks Blondegal1, How well does that lunch hold up in a cooler left in a work truck in 100 degree weather? Looks great though!

Not a clue. LOL

But I agree with the others who suggest frozen water bottles.

Maybe even invest in a small yeti cooler.

beenie weenies and crackers, you could also cook extra at night and let him carry left overs for lunch, since the meals are being kept in a cooler, they will not be to cold, for him to eat, and the cool meals may taste good.. just be sure to drain grease off good... fried chicken is good left over, eaten cool, water melon, any kind of fruit, pudding, jello, i know sandwichs get old, but it is better then nothing, and it is just to hold him over until he gets home. unless he wants to eat out everyday.. and that is expensive.

thanks, MissSophie, Blondiegal1 and Lady Raider. A yeti is not in the budget right now but maybe if we start saving we can get one in a few years I bet they are awesome though! I actually bought some beanie weenies, spaghetti O's with meatballs, some potted meat( a little scetchy on that but see if he likes it) Did grill some chicken he liked and he did take it on Friday so I know that works along with the fried chicken. Will just have to do trial and error on some things. Thanks for all the great ideas!

Those lunches in the pics look like what women on a diet would eat.Now,I agree with the Beanie Weenies. Just add Vienna sausages,Texas Pete,Sardines,hunk of cheese,pickle hogs feet,potted meat,crackers,RC(Kroger has `em) and a Moon Pie for dessert. A MAN`s lunch.

Those lunches in the pics look like what women on a diet would eat.Now,I agree with the Beanie Weenies. Just add Vienna sausages,Texas Pete,Sardines,hunk of cheese,pickle hogs feet,potted meat,crackers,RC(Kroger has `em) and a Moon Pie for dessert. A MAN`s lunch.

A very well preserved man I might add. :)

I have to disagree with you about this being a mans meal... I love Vienna sausages with hot sauce.. I was going to suggest that, but i thought a lot would go ewwww.... lol..... my granddaddy use to take sardines and crackers for lunch, and when i would go with him to work, we would sit on his tail gate and eat lunch.. and granny fired apple pies, we would spilt one for dessert :wub:

• Like 2

I have to admit I bought the vienna sausages and the potted meat a ham one and pot roast I believe he took a couple sandwiches and the potted meat so we will see. Not sure about the sardines but who knows when a man is hungry if its in the cooler you eat right? Thanks everyone for the suggestions and apple pies OMG that sounds delish!

I left out liver pudding and crackers. When I was a kid(Mayflower was in dry-dock),Daddy,when going fishing, would stop at a country store and get a lb. of liver pudding,box of crackers,and a carton of Cokes,Pepsis,or RCs. This was fare for the day(oh yeah,and an onion). If the fish were biting,we fried the fish and cornbread for supper,right there on the bank.

Edited by Al Oker

I used to eat those kippers in the oval can with some hot sauce and crackers and they were good. I can't deal with sardines, but my mother loved them.

0007402700190_500X500.jpg

Canned items can be put on the dash, so he can have a piping hot lunch. you need pop- top cans and don't forget plastic forks or spoons. A sandwich with hot soup might be pretty good.

Bread items in foil will be nice & hot too. Get creative with the mix of hot & cold.

I used to have to take lunch at 11:00, so my container of left overs was put on the dash and was ready to eat by then. Of course, I was cautious of what foods I used. Cube steak with mashed potatoes & gravy were awesome. Even with that a nice cold pickle, or pickled okra were extra nice.

Having some cold pudding, cheese chunks, applesauce, sliced peaches, etc help keep if from being the "same old thing".

Even a cheap cooler will keep things colder if you use a few tricks. Use thick newspaper in the bottom of it and on top of everything after you pack it. If you use frozen bottles, you just leave the cooler open or lay the paper out of it to dry. after eating.

You should look into getting a plugin cooler.

http://amzn.to/24qdlA7

They don't do well in a hot vehicle. The solid state refrigeration units in them will only cool to a maximum of 40 degrees below the ambient temperature. So in a 100 degree automobile, you'd get 60 degrees out of it at best. Refrigerated food should be kept at about 40 degrees or below.