Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
glassdogs

Internet Phone Services? Which One?

We rarely need a land line, and probably should do away with it entirely. But the alarm system uses the land line, and converting that system to wireless is just outrageous priced. We do occasionally need to make overseas calls.

So, Magic Jack, Vonage, Ooma, and others are out there as a possibility.

So, do any of you have one of these services? Which one? Strengths and weaknesses?

Appreciate any input you can give.

We've used Vonage for the past 2 years and the only problem we've had is there's a slight delay (maybe 2-3 seconds) in the conversations as well as a slight echo. But for the price you pay, those can be overlooked (at least in my opinion). We don't do international calls, so I can't give an opinion on that.

My daughter has been using Ooma for the past several years and as far as I know has had no problems other than the few second delay.

Edited by Armymom

I've had Vonage for about 9 years. No problems so far. I get all the bells and whistles that I had with AT&T like call waiting and call forwarding for less than half the price. If my internet goes out for any reason, Vonage automatically forwards the calls to my cell phone from the house.

Ooma allows me to blacklist all robo calls, in addition to any other calls I wish to blacklist. I have blacklisted about 100 phone numbers, and it's easy to do.

Ooma is a good service.

Vonage for probably 8 years no issues. I don't know about the other internet services but with Vonage you can assign the amount of bandwidth you want assigned to your phone. So if there is a clarity issue you just bump up the bandwidth to a setting that gives you good clarity. They also have some pretty good if not free overseas calling plans. I think we pay around $30 a month and that is unlimited domestic/Canada and unlimited overseas calls because the spousal unit calls the Philippines all the time. Like 4000+ minutes a month all the time. (Vonage complained because she used so many of their "unlimited minutes".) Plus you can use it with your cell phone also. You can assign something like 3 mobile numbers. (I don't use it so do not know the exact numbers).

Also as mentioned if the Internet goes out the calls will route to your cell so you are never without service.