Paulding.com

Valerie Wilson is HIGHLY qualified for State Superintendent of Schools

mast_salsa_form.jpg            
IMG_9868%20photo%20by%20Erik%20Voss%20fo
Valarie%20FB%20copy.png
Val%20Twitter%20copy.png

Meet Georgia Democrats’ Candidate for State School Superintendent – Valarie Wilson

“Valarie Wilson is hands-down the most qualified person for the job of State School Superintendent,” says DPG Chairman DuBose Porter. “Her experience and ability to reach across the aisle will make her one of the most effective statewide officials to ever serve Georgia.”

At recent debate, Valarie clearly outshined her opponent. Here are just a few statements detailing what she stands for.

“I’ve spent my career working across partisan lines to ensure that our children are provided with the best quality education.”

On high school graduation rates, Valarie said “I think it’s important that we provide wraparound services that address the whole child and that we are sure that we are meeting their needs when they come into our classrooms.”

“I also think it’s important that we reach our children early,” added Wilson. “If we get to them early and on grade level, there’s a higher chance that those children will complete school and graduate.”

In her closing statement, Valarie said “I have the business experience of managing one of the largest departments in Fulton County, with one of the largest budgets and largest staff. I also managed a multi-million dollar non-profit entity. But I also have the education experience. I led the city schools of Decatur as its chair for seven of my twelve years on that board and we turned the school system around and allowed for it to be successful without teacher furloughs or increasing class sizes. It’s important that whoever is your next state school superintendent is laser-focused on doing what’s best for children.”

Valarie’s experience and work ethic is exactly what is needed at the Georgia Department of Education. She has a proven record of bringing together students, parents, and educators to best prepare Georgia’s children for the future.

Valarie joined the school board of the City Schools of Decatur in 2002 and became the moving force behind the establishment of the College Heights Early Childhood Learning Center, acting on research that shows that early childhood education is critical to success in the K-12 years.

As Board Chair from 2005-2011, Valarie helped to turn around the finances of the district. Through a forceful—if sometimes painful—reorganization, the district was able to move forward with no teacher furloughs or shortening of the school year. Valarie joined the Georgia School Boards Association in 2009 and was its president in 2012-2013.

Valarie is currently Executive Director of the Atlanta BeltLine Partnership, Inc. Previously she was Director of the Human Services Department in Fulton County, responsible for an annual budget of $26 million and directing programs that serve the elderly, children and youth. She has also been Director of Fulton County’s Office of Aging.

A native of Swainsboro, Georgia, Valarie is a graduate of Clark College and completed graduate studies in public administration at Troy State University. She now lives in Decatur with her husband, Carter, and son, Nicholas.

Find Val online at ValforEducation.com, like her Facebook page, and follow her on Twitter.

Early voting is currently underway. Find your nearest early voting location here, then lock in your vote for Valarie Wilson and the other great Democratic candidates on the ballot.

badges_2014_georgia_victory.jpgbadges_2014_contribute_red.jpgbadges_2014_get_social.jpg

social_icons_2014_twitter.jpgsocial_icons_2014_facebook.jpgsocial_icons_2014_vimeo.jpgsocial_icons_2014_instagram.jpgsocial_icons_2014_mail.jpg       DEMOCRATIC PARTY OF GEORGIA • 763 Trabert Ave NW • ATLANTA, GEORGIA 30318 • DuBose Porter, Chair; Nikema Williams, First Vice-Chair; Sen. Lester Jackson, Treasurer; R.J. Hadley, Vice Chair; Miguel Camacho, Vice Chair; Rep. Pedro Marin, Vice Chair; Laverne Gaskins, Secretary • NOT AUTHORIZED BY ANY CANDIDATE OR CANDIDATE’S COMMITTEE • WWW.GEORGIADEMOCRAT.ORG   

TrackImage?key=2077367955

I gotta go with the R on this one. My mother who is a retired educator and lifelong democrat agrees with me.

Some of Richard's qualifications:

Richard Woods is the clear choice. He has been in the classroom, has written lesson plans, and has been responsible for teaching our children. This is experience his opponent does not have. He understands the challenges facing our teachers, students, and administrators.

• Like 2

To attack Valarie Wilson on her support for Common Core is simply put: childish. Valarie Wilson has the necessary leadership experience that is needed as a State School Superintendent.

Students in New Jersey—ranking #1 in education—have a better chance in college than students in Georgia. Over the last few decades, the United States educational rankings have plummet. As of 2014, Georgia ranks 32nd in the entire nation. The state’s grade is based on low spending and poor school systems. With Common Core in place, it would allow states to compare standardized test scores, ultimately setting a common mutual ground for all students within the nation. Common Core does not dictate that states have to follow the standard verbatim. However, states must adopt at least 85% of the standards, leaving 15% to modify. We need Common Core or we (Americans) will continue to fall behind South Korea, Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Sweden, and Finland.

“The Common Core is a set of strong standards that will help our students to compete in the global labor market. Legislators’ efforts to replace these evidence-based standards with home-grown guidelines will hurt our students and could contribute to an exodus of educators from the public system.” —Valarie Wilson

To attack Valarie Wilson on her support for Common Core is simply put: childish. Valarie Wilson has the necessary leadership experience that is needed as a State School Superintendent.

Students in New Jersey—ranking #1 in education—have a better chance in college than students in Georgia. Over the last few decades, the United States educational rankings have plummet. As of 2014, Georgia ranks 32nd in the entire nation. The state’s grade is based on low spending and poor school systems. With Common Core in place, it would allow states to compare standardized test scores, ultimately setting a common mutual ground for all students within the nation. Common Core does not dictate that states have to follow the standard verbatim. However, states must adopt at least 85% of the standards, leaving 15% to modify. We need Common Core or we (Americans) will continue to fall behind South Korea, Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Sweden, and Finland.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Like 4

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Newsjunky, that is my reaction that creationism and the 'truth' of a 6000 year old earth must be taught as a theory of equal standing in Georgia schools with evolution, which appears to be state policy as passed by the GOP legislature.

Fact is the opposition to common core comes from the same source as the flip-flop the GOP has made on countless other issues from forced purchase of health insurance to keynesian economics - i.e. the black president is for it which means you must oppose it.

pubby

Newsjunky, that is my reaction that creationism and the 'truth' of a 6000 year old earth must be taught as a theory of equal standing in Georgia schools with evolution, which appears to be state policy as passed by the GOP legislature.

Fact is the opposition to common core comes from the same source as the flip-flop the GOP has made on countless other issues from forced purchase of health insurance to keynesian economics - i.e. the black president is for it which means you must oppose it.

pubby

His race has nothing to do with it. I had hoped he would serve America well. If anyone is racist it is him sad to say. He has been a disaster and he is not finished. He is importing poverty and will soon give away American jobs by making millions of illegals legal by executive order. He has not stopped flights from Ebola stricken areas while putting our soldiers in harms way of the dread disease. He cares more for Africans than he does for Americans. He is destroying our economy with his policies. I guess Obamacare will be saved if our people get sick.

• Like 1

pubby

10 Principled Reasons To Oppose Common Core :

http://whatiscommoncore.wordpress.com/2014/09/26/top-ten-things-parents-hate-about-common-core-by-joy-pullman/

:angry:

pubby

I'm so sick of you and others always bringing race into everything. I'll hazard a guess that you didn't vote for Romney. Because of his skin color or was it because you didn't agree with his policies? Do you hate white men? You are intolerant of others that don't agree with you. Most of the conservatives try at least to debate the actual topic without throwing in name calling.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/373840/ten-dumbest-common-core-problems-alec-torres

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/11/a-new-kind-of-problem-the-common-core-math-standards/265444/

• Like 3

I have not had time to read all of these posts but I will say hands down that ANYONE that makes decisions on behalf of public education needs to have had some type of experience in the classroom. Everyone of our legislators needs to travel around and spend time observing what goes on in our classrooms day in and day out. The Georgia School Board Superintendent most definitely needs to have had classroom experience! The problem with public education now is that we have people that don't know one thing about education making the decisions.....UGH!!!

• Like 2

His race has nothing to do with it. I had hoped he would serve America well. If anyone is racist it is him sad to say. He has been a disaster and he is not finished. He is importing poverty and will soon give away American jobs by making millions of illegals legal by executive order. He has not stopped flights from Ebola stricken areas while putting our soldiers in harms way of the dread disease. He cares more for Africans than he does for Americans. He is destroying our economy with his policies. I guess Obamacare will be saved if our people get sick.

I suppose you could make the argument that race 'has nothing to do with it', NJ ... That argument would go like this ... The GOP has been just as disrespectful of every Democratic candidate for office and President since ... well Jimmy Carter ... or maybe Kennedy (you know the ultimate sign of disrespect is a bullet to the brain).

I think it is probably due to some academic work regarding linguistics and how to destroy democratic systems so that the oligarchs can present the appearance of democracy. While the argument is more tenuous going back to Kennedy; it becomes probable beginning with Nixon and his dirty tricks unit which destroyed Democratic candidates like Muskie (The Canuck letter forgery) or even Nixon's interference in the Paris Peace Talks in 1968 which derailed a likely settlement to the Vietnam War to keep us at war. (Fear that audio tapes held by Lyndon Johnson were in the Democratic HQ at the Watergate is the presumed real reason for the senseless bugging and burglary at the Watergate.)

pubby

I suppose you could make the argument that race 'has nothing to do with it', NJ ... That argument would go like this ... The GOP has been just as disrespectful of every Democratic candidate for office and President since ... well Jimmy Carter ... or maybe Kennedy (you know the ultimate sign of disrespect is a bullet to the brain).

I think it is probably due to some academic work regarding linguistics and how to destroy democratic systems so that the oligarchs can present the appearance of democracy. While the argument is more tenuous going back to Kennedy; it becomes probable beginning with Nixon and his dirty tricks unit which destroyed Democratic candidates like Muskie (The Canuck letter forgery) or even Nixon's interference in the Paris Peace Talks in 1968 which derailed a likely settlement to the Vietnam War to keep us at war. (Fear that audio tapes held by Lyndon Johnson were in the Democratic HQ at the Watergate is the presumed real reason for the senseless bugging and burglary at the Watergate.)

pubby

How can you even bring up Nixon considering how Obama has abused his office. Pubby, we will never agree on Politics nor candidates but I respect your right to disagree.

• Like 2

pubby

Being disrespectful and throwing around libelist comments are two totally different things. And, I guess you feel like the dems have always been respectful to republicans. Did a republican shoot Kennedy, or did a democrat shoot Reagan? We've had crappy democrats and crappy republicans forever, that will never change. Your excuses for calling EVERY conservative on this forum a racist is pathetic. You don't seem to comprehend that conservatives do not vote for liberals, and vice-versa. Doesn't matter what damn color someone's skin happens to be. Doing so just shows ignorance. We're not afraid of names, that bs doesn't work anymore. Anyone running for POTUS or for any government office needs a thick skin, regardless of color.

Edited by yathink?

NJ:

I have to disagree.

The GOP guy just seems so predictably, well, anti-progress. You know, party of NO approach who is sensitive to the parents fear that their kids are getting a better education than they got.

Howard Maxwell - you heard him at the PBA meeting last spring - has the same reading as Ms. Wilson on Common Core and to call him a liberal is almost fighting words.

I think those who don't see the improvements in education or math standards are just afraid ... but hey, fear has been driving Republican voting for decades ... seriously ...

Understanding how the new standards will improve students’ math skills:

Math Common Core State Standards require greater focus by teachers and deeper knowledge by students than many previous state standards. Students will need to accurately calculate equations, understand concepts not just memorize answers, and accurately select the best mathematical concept or equation to solve real-world problems, while demonstrating why the method or equation they selected is accurate.

The new standards make sure students are learning and absorbing the critical information they need to succeed at higher levels.

Elementary School Example
Previous Math Question
CCSS Math Question
Each shirt costs $4. How much do 3 shirts cost? Each shirt has 6 buttons. How many buttons are needed to make 7 shirts? This question can be answered by a “count-all” strategy, in which you don’t need to know your multiplication tables by memory to get the right answer. This question requires automatic recall of multiplication tables to get at the right answer. Middle School Example
Previous Math Question
CCSS Math Question
Donna buys 40 apples at 35 cents each. She eats 2 apples and sells the rest for 45 cents each. How much money does she make? Donna buys some apples at 35 cents each. She eats 2 apples and sells the rest for 45 cents each. She makes $4.40. How many apples did she buy? This question only requires use of simple arithmetic. This question requires use of an algebraic equation.
Previous Math Question
CCSS Math Question
A bird flew 20 miles in 100 minutes at constant speed. At that speed, how long would it take the bird to fly 6 miles? A bird flew 20 miles in 100 minutes at constant speed. At that speed: (a) how long would it take the bird to fly 6 miles? (B) How far would the bird fly in 15 minutes? © How fast is the bird flying in miles per hour? (d) What is the bird’s pace in minutes per mile? This question requires one calculation, using a formula. This question requires a series of calculations and reasoning. It measures if students understand why the formula works. High School Example
Previous Math Question
CCSS Math Question
If 3(y-1) = 8, then what is y? What are two different equations with the same solution as 3(y-1) = 8? This question is an example of solving equations as a series of mechanical steps This question is an example of solving equations as a process of reasoning. map-mini-button.png Support the reform movement. Click here to learn more »

A hint ... your kids are brighter. They'll benefit from the reforms. It is important that they be pursued.

pubby

I wouldn't give you two cents for common core.

In fact, I would bet that those taught by common core couldn't figure out how to get two cents out of a nickle.

pubby

Pubby, pubby, pubby.

First, the GOP had nothing, I repeat, NOTHING, to do with JFK being shot.

Second, it is a fact that the ONLY REASON that JFK was president, in the first place, in order to be shot, was because his father, old Joe (bootlegger) Kennedy made a deal with organized crime, re: Sam Giancana, to rig the votes in Illinois, thus getting JFK presidency.

Third, if you want to talk about dirty tricks, you should look at JFK's and LBJ's campaigns, now THERE were some real dirty tricks.

• Like 2

Common Core is a data mining scheme to market your child's personal private information:

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/343040/common-core-trojan-horse-michelle-malkin

:nea:

Facebook is a data mining scheme to put corporate America's greedy hand in your pocket and if we don't educate our youth better, they will be even more vulnerable.

pubby

Facebook is a data mining scheme to put corporate America's greedy hand in your pocket and if we don't educate our youth better, they will be even more vulnerable.

pubby

So why are you supporting the corporate data mining of our school children ? ? ?

:huh:

• Like 1

I read Michelle Malkins' piece on what was being done and it struck me as not just a little silly but full bat-cheese wacko :)

Let me explain by posting a piece from the article.

Research fellow Joy Pullmann at the Heartland Institute points to a February Department of Education report on its data-mining plans that contemplates the use of creepy student-monitoring techniques such as “functional magnetic resonance imaging” and “using cameras to judge facial expressions, an electronic seat that judges posture, a pressure-sensitive computer mouse and a biometric wrap on kids’ wrists.”

The DOE report exposes the big lie that Common Core is about raising academic standards. The report instead reveals Common Core’s progressive designs to measure and track children’s “competencies” in “recognizing bias in sources,” “flexibility,” “cultural awareness and competence,” “appreciation for diversity,” “empathy,” “perspective taking, trust, [and] service orientation.”

Now to the uncritical mind t his sounds like they're going to strap down 120,000,000 kids and doing "functional magnetic resonance imaging" and turn on cameras in their bedrooms to peek at them as they undress to see what kind of underwear they're using ... ever single one of them... my KID ... chaNO

Bull hockey with massive fifty-foot tall hockey sticks.

I have no doubt that there will be a scientific survey that may employ functional magnetic resonance imaging to see what parts of the brain are being employed in autistic children when they're studying math or learning to speak.  I have no doubt that a university will be studying five sets of 120 diversely selected children of various socio-economic groups as they ponder this or that task as they go through the process in real studies that  do exactly as they purport to do - improve the process.

As far as gmail ... the free email service ... there are other services and access to them by students over age 13 is pretty doggone near universal at this point anyway.  I mean, what do you want, the schools to host emails for their students AT A GOVERNMENT SERVER that the SCHOOLS/GOVERNMENT can access to see? ... or is your ISP that provides you your email - comcast - some how a white knight that doesn't "do" you because the 'rights' protecting Republican's in Congress have really snapped down on the abuses of corporate American in data-mining.   (I apologize for that lie in the spoiler)

I do have to say, though, this attack is like so many of the attacks raised in recent weeks against anything that represents progress.  Each time I see them and hear them I get the idea that we're again in front of the big screen watching, again and again, this scene.

You have to understand, I'm pretty aware of obsessive-compulsive behaviors and their increase in times of stress amongst those who insist on  sameness as a basic part of their existence ... namely my autistic son.  We are really proud, btw, that unlike many who are OCD that he doesn't spend hours rocking and beating his head against he wall as that is truly a problematic behavior.

And I wouldn't suggest that conservative are formally OCD although they do seem to have fallen into high-stress levels and, more than that, seem to retreat in repetitive behaviors that are certainly much more complex than what most would associate with OCD ... but still they are pretty obviously not meaningfully connected to reality.

I mean, fMRI's are an expensive test.  It makes sense to test 200 or maybe 500 selected people for some scientific purpose but to suggest that 120,000,000 kids - every child in school - is going to be observed with an fMRI while at school daily?  weekly?  or lets say monthly at a cost of $2000 per scan plus would cost 1.92 TRILLION DOLLARS a year. Here's the math:  (8 months x $2,000 per month x 120,000,000 kids = $1,920,000,000,000.)

Yet you've got everyone so frigging rattled and scared that they don't think "Does this make any sense?" ... they say, 'Kill 'em for thinking that they can do that to my Johnny and Suzie."

pubby

PS:  The scare mongering associated with ebola, ISIS, etc. is nothing more than manipulation by those whose sole path to power is based on lies.  And I'm not saying that you, mrshoward, are guilty ... we're all just being manipulated; some more than others.

After reading most of their platform, hearing them speak and speaking with them personally I believe both candidates are qualified. However, the better question is should we even have an elected state school superintendent.

Regardless of who wins, it is probably well past time to have a conversation about eliminating it. The state Board of Education is made up of appointed individuals and they have a lot more say about education policy than the elected superintendent.

After reading most of their platform, hearing them speak and speaking with them personally I believe both candidates are qualified. However, the better question is should we even have an elected state school superintendent.

Regardless of who wins, it is probably well past time to have a conversation about eliminating it. The state Board of Education is made up of appointed individuals and they have a lot more say about education policy than the elected superintendent.

Yes we should get to vote on them. If I get a vote in it that is what it will be. If it were up to me I would vote to elect our local Superintendent. They only get that much say because the Governor allows it. If he gets along better with the new Superintendent I expect more power will be given back to that office.

Yes we should get to vote on them. If I get a vote in it that is what it will be. If it were up to me I would vote to elect our local Superintendent. They only get that much say because the Governor allows it. If he gets along better with the new Superintendent I expect more power will be given back to that office.

Well okay, you could keep the right to vote on the state school superintendent but we get rid of the state Board of Education. That way the people or the persons directly in charge of education are accountable. As it stands now an appointed board has decision-making authority.

Georgia, at one point tried electing superintendents, it did not work out. Most superintendents around the state of Georgia do not want to be elected.

I forgot about all that. Losing money to the feds because of non-performance, responsibility for which Deal ducked about like he's ducked so many others.

Looking at medicaid, which of course, the state under Deal failed to expand to cover some 650,000 Georgians, including many working poor, I discovered that this administration also failed to provide medicaid for 89,000 others Georgians, including the disabled, who are qualified under the current guidelines.

Apparently these 89000 folks sought coverage under the ACA but were found to be eligible for medicaid in Georgia under the current rules and these folks applied.

Currently the state's failure to meet its obligation to this group of children, pregnant women, elderly and disabled is under investigation.

It makes sense in this topic because, well, because, if you choose to not vote for someone other than Deal (an admirable choice and good idea) you might want to select Ms. Wilson for State School Superintendent because it is obvious from the way that Governor Deal treated Mr. Barge, that that governor is going to do what ever it takes for him to look good (even if he has to bury the bones like he is doing with medicaid).

pubby

I forgot about all that. Losing money to the feds because of non-performance, responsibility for which Deal ducked about like he's ducked so many others.

Looking at medicaid, which of course, the state under Deal failed to expand to cover some 650,000 Georgians, including many working poor, I discovered that this administration also failed to provide medicaid for 89,000 others Georgians, including the disabled, who are qualified under the current guidelines.

Apparently these 89000 folks sought coverage under the ACA but were found to be eligible for medicaid in Georgia under the current rules and these folks applied.

Currently the state's failure to meet its obligation to this group of children, pregnant women, elderly and disabled is under investigation.

It makes sense in this topic because, well, because, if you choose to not vote for someone other than Deal (an admirable choice and good idea) you might want to select Ms. Wilson for State School Superintendent because it is obvious from the way that Governor Deal treated Mr. Barge, that that governor is going to do what ever it takes for him to look good (even if he has to bury the bones like he is doing with medicaid).

pubby

I would not go that far! In some instances, you couldn't slide a piece of paper between their differences.

I don't think either has sufficiently articulated what specific actions they would take once in office.

Well okay, you could keep the right to vote on the state school superintendent but we get rid of the state Board of Education. That way the people or the persons directly in charge of education are accountable. As it stands now an appointed board has decision-making authority.

Georgia, at one point tried electing superintendents, it did not work out. Most superintendents around the state of Georgia do not want to be elected.

It is not the first time a Governor has stripped the State School Superintendent of power. Remember Linda? I think this choice should be left open to the Governor.