Paulding.com

Rash of thefts in two New Hope neighborhoods last night

My next-door neighbor had their truck broken into last night and cash stolen.

It turns out, quite a few people had cars broken into last night in two neighborhoods off of Old Cartersville Rd.: Chestnut Grove, and the one across from Candlewood (not sure of the name of that subdivision).

Then I just saw this post on facebook:

"So, evidently Old Cartersville Rd. got hit with a lot of car break ins last night. It sucks to work hard for nice things to just have someone come and steal them. Diamond earrings gone, wedding band gone, gun gone, laptop gone and Ipad gone."

Anyone here affected? Several of us are setting up surveillance cameras so we can nail whoever did this, if they try it again (which they probably will, since it was so lucrative for them).

This may have been a safe area, but I would contribute part of the problem to the fact that if people are leaving diamond earrings, iPads, guns, etc. in their cars, the thieves likely decided to come visit a few folks...

• Like 1

This may have been a safe area, but I would contribute part of the problem to the fact that if people are leaving diamond earrings, iPads, guns, etc. in their cars, the thieves likely decided to come visit a few folks...

Well that makes a load of sense. I leave something in MY car in MY driveway on MY property and you want to blame me because some asshat thinks they are entitled to just come along and take whatever they feel like because they can see it through the glass car window? Would it be the same if they broke into a house and took the same valuables they could see through a window made out of the same glass?

• Like 2

Or maybe part of the problem is that thieves are emboldened by statements like this that make it seem the victims fault instead of their own fault.

Or maybe part of the problem is that thieves are emboldened by statements like this that make it seem the victims fault instead of their own fault.

Or MAYBE when you do something dumb and it bites you in the arse, you learn a valuable lesson. It is the fault of the thieves, but each of us has to exercise some form of good judgment to make sure that we are not victims. I hope the thieves are caught, but for those folks in the area, please DO NOT leave your valuables in your car unless you park inside your garage.

• Like 4

Exactly. And one of the items stolen was a gun. I highly doubt that gun was visible at all from the outside. My neighbor said the glove compartment, console, etc. had all been riffled through and were left open by the thieves. Also, these vehicles were LOCKED. So someone saw a LOCKED vehicle and took it upon themselves to break in and go through the entire vehicle to see what they could find to steal. It's not like they had an iPad, laptop, and diamond earrings out on display with a sign, "Free to Good Home."

Frankly, I'd be ticked if my car were broken into even if they didn't take a thing. That is a violation of MY property.

Well that makes a load of sense. I leave something in MY car in MY driveway on MY property and you want to blame me because some asshat thinks they are entitled to just come along and take whatever they feel like because they can see it through the glass car window? Would it be the same if they broke into a house and took the same valuables they could see through a window made out of the same glass?

As the repoman who was creeping about my yard a few weeks ago (he was at the wrong house--all my stuff is paid for, however, he decided to accost me anyway) can attest, if it is past 'visiting hours' and you are in my yard and/or knock on my door, I will greet you with an automatic 12ga.

Lurkers, thieves, bottom-feeders, and other criminal types be warned.

:good:

• Like 4

As the repoman who was creeping about my yard a few weeks ago (he was at the wrong house--all my stuff is paid for, however, he decided to accost me anyway) can attest, if it is past 'visiting hours' and you are in my yard and/or knock on my door, I will greet you with an automatic 12ga.

But but but, what about no death penalty?

Just kidding, I'm with you on this one all the way.

• Like 1

Oh, please. No one here ever stated that this was the fault of the victim. They were responding to a question that was asked:

This used to be such a safe area. What the heck has happened??

It was pointed out that the area may have traditionally been "safe," but the increased affluence in some of the subdivisions has created a climate where certain material items that previously were not there in great numbers, are now there for the taking. None of the items named should ever be left in a car overnight, especially one parked in a driveway. These are basic preventative techniques that big city people have always known, but now country folks need to know when suburbs come to town. When a community expands and puts people in a more densely populated situation, these are the natural results. Sadly, it is a natural progression, everywhere and always. No one blamed the victim, but one does need to be prudent in terms of taking precautions. Leaving jewelry, computers and firearms in a car all night is anything but cautious. I must admit that this somewhat odd (who takes off their wedding ring and leaves it in the car overnight?), and there is also the possibility that some of the items were an insurance claim more than anything else.

• Like 1

It was pointed out that the area may have traditionally been "safe," but the increased affluence in some of the subdivisions has created a climate where certain material items that previously were not there in great numbers, are now there for the taking. None of the items named should ever be left in a car overnight, especially one parked in a driveway. These are basic preventative techniques that big city people have always known, but now country folks need to know when suburbs come to town. When a community expands and puts people in a more densely populated situation, these are the natural results. Sadly, it is a natural progression, everywhere and always. No one blamed the victim, but one does need to be prudent in terms of taking precautions. Leaving jewelry, computers and firearms in a car all night is anything but cautious. I must admit that this somewhat odd (who takes off their wedding ring and leaves it in the car overnight?), and there is also the possibility that some of the items were an insurance claim more than anything else.

Here's a something them poor ole country folks know that you big city people may not know.

Stealing can cause damage to your lungs, brain and other body parts that are hit by buckshot.

So these poor ole country folk need edumacation on how to handle big city problems and not only that, they are scamming the insurance comapnies.

Dang, them poor ole country folk are dumb enough to leave stuff in their cars, but smart enough (and crooked enough) to try and cheat the insurance companies.

I get sooooo dang tired of people saying "well you shouldn't have done that", when the truth is, the criminal shouldn't have done that.

I understand taking precautions, but if you can't have something locked up and expect it to be safe, then I say shoot em all and let God sort em out.

That will stop it.

Ohhhh, I forgot, them same people that blame the victim will now be saying, you over reacted.

ETA

I have posted a few times about when in the 1930's my grandfather shot a man for stealing two of his chickens. This was at the corner of Roswell Rd. and Piedmont Rd.

He called the cops and told them he shot a man stealing his chickens and for them to come and get him. (the thief)

When I asked what did the cops do to him, his reply was, "Why would they do anything to me? He was breaking the law, I just stopped him."

Ahhhh, the good old days when people knew who was doing wrong and who was just "stopping them".

• Like 7

My sisters neighborhood was also. So far last night it includes Brentwood, Chestnut Grove, Candlewood, and Cumberland Falls. I know one gun was stolen out of Cumberland Falls. Was it a different neighborhood that one more was stolen at? They must have been out all night to get around to this many neighborhoods! Hope they are caught before they decide to use a gun!!

Something doesn't seem right here. Were the only cars broken into that had valuables in them or did they also strip some car parts like stereos, gps systems, dvd players etc? This doesn't look like something just desperate dumb criminals with petty theft on their toolbelt would be able to pull off. Waaaay too organized to have not only hit different neighborhoods in one night but to know which cars had something worth stealing.

Edited by Jane Ty

Something doesn't seem right here. Were the only cars broken into that had valuables in them or did they also strip some car parts like stereos, gps systems, dvd players etc? This doesn't look like something just desperate dumb criminals with petty theft on their toolbelt would be able to pull off. Waaaay too organized to have not only hit different neighborhoods in one night but to know which cars had something worth stealing.

My neighbor that was hit had a computer in the back on the floor that they completely missed. They went through all 3 vehicles of hers. They went through the console and glove compartment took all her papers out and had them on the seats. They sure went through the front of each vehicle thoroughly. This will be her 3rd time hit, in 3 years. 2 years ago hit twice in one week, and then Wednesday night. It seems they are watching her, because each time she was hit, she has been out of town.

My sisters neighborhood was also. So far last night it includes Brentwood, Chestnut Grove, Candlewood, and Cumberland Falls. I know one gun was stolen out of Cumberland Falls. Was it a different neighborhood that one more was stolen at? They must have been out all night to get around to this many neighborhoods! Hope they are caught before they decide to use a gun!!

Where is Cumberland Falls?

I live off of Ridge Road, and we have had vehicles broken into and gone through before. About a month ago, my dog was barking like crazy. When I looked out my bedroom window, there were two individuals prowling around the neighborhood with a flashlight. I called Paulding County SO and, when they arrived, the two people were just sitting in the middle of the road at the corner of my house.

Guess what----the police just talked to them and let them go. The officer said it was two teenage girls who were just walking around the neighborhood having a smoke!!! It was 2 a.m., they did not live in the neighbor hood, and had a flashlight. Just because they were teenage girls doesn't mean they aren't capable of breaking into a car!!!! If all they were doing was smoking, why couldn't they do it at home or in their own neightborhood? And I thought there was a curfew for teenagers.

My neighbor that was hit had a computer in the back on the floor that they completely missed. They went through all 3 vehicles of hers. They went through the console and glove compartment took all her papers out and had them on the seats. They sure went through the front of each vehicle thoroughly. This will be her 3rd time hit, in 3 years. 2 years ago hit twice in one week, and then Wednesday night. It seems they are watching her, because each time she was hit, she has been out of town.

Where is Cumberland Falls?

It is also off Old Cartersville Road near Annandale I think.

You do realize that you can't shoot a 'lurker' just because they're in your yard? If you're a responsible gun owner, you should know that.

Good grief!! I hope the people who had property stolen have gotten in touch with the pawn shops around here. These scumbags will be trying to get money for their loot, I'm sure.

You do realize that you can't shoot a 'lurker' just because they're in your yard? If you're a responsible gun owner, you should know that.

You do realize I didn't mention anything about shooting anyone? Hell, I didn't even say I would point it at anyone. I said 'greet.' To me, the implication should simply be that if you are in the vicinity of my house, in the wee hours, I have the forethought to arm myself (and will) while I ascertain who you are and/or why you are 'lurking.' Please keep in mind that I live on 3 heavily wooded acres, therefore, if someone is in my yard and/or knocking on my door in the middle of the night they aren't looking to borrow sugar.

I have owned guns for 28 years of my life. As for being a 'responsible gun owner' I suppose that term is as subjective as any other when it comes to guns. I feel I am as responsible as I can possibly be, your conclusions my differ--and I am ok with that. Furthermore, I am well aware of the OCGA and how the laws of our state view self-defense and the use of firearms--especially 'stand your ground' and the 'castle doctrine.'

Just to give a heads up, the sheriff department was in our subdivision around 11 tonight. Someone was in a neighbors backyard with flash lights, flashing her house. When the officers got here, they were gone and the officers didn't see anyone when they walked around.

Be safe everyone!!! Make sure all doors and windows are locked. Not to mention your garage doors and side door. They mean business.

• Like 1

Just to give a heads up, the sheriff department was in our subdivision around 11 tonight. Someone was in a neighbors backyard with flash lights, flashing her house. When the officers got here, they were gone and the officers didn't see anyone when they walked around.

Be safe everyone!!! Make sure all doors and windows are locked. Not to mention your garage doors and side door. They mean business.

Oh no! What neighborhood do you live in?

It is also off Old Cartersville Road near Annandale I think.

It is right past Annandale & Camberley, across from Candlewood.

Welp, it happened again last night, this time in the Chestnut Hills part of Chestnut Grove. From a neighbor today:

"My neighbor's car was hit twice in the last couple of weeks. Black car waiting in cudlesac as someone walks on foot. Last night's events were about 11PM. They seem to be looking for cash or quick items to take. Please lock your vehicles and report any unusual vehicles parked anywhere. Take a picture of anything unusual so we can post to team up together against these crimes"

I hadn't heard of nextdoor.com and it looks great... we do have a private facebook group for our neighborhood, and it seems that has served the same function for us (we're keeping in close communication about this there, and our local Sheriff is also now a member).

I like the idea of taking pictures. Does your neighborhood have a https://nextdoor.com/ website?

Yesterday there was a red truck with a Mexican man and a African American man casing the middle of our subdivision. Especially one particular house. My neighbor watched them for the longest time. When they went by to leave the subdivision she did get the license plate number.

She said that they stopped and watched the house, then backed up, rolled forward, backed up, rolled forward, sat there for about 10 minutes. Then they went into the neighbors driveway, sat there for about 2 minutes, backed up, and left the subdivision.

Yesterday there was a red truck with a Mexican man and a African American man casing the middle of our subdivision. Especially one particular house. My neighbor watched them for the longest time. When they went by to leave the subdivision she did get the license plate number.

She said that they stopped and watched the house, then backed up, rolled forward, backed up, rolled forward, sat there for about 10 minutes. Then they went into the neighbors driveway, sat there for about 2 minutes, backed up, and left the subdivision.

That's pretty bold. Sounds like they didn't care who saw them.

Dang son, I thought I was over the edge.

I see I have a few more feet to go.

:)

Here while back,a neighbor's sex offender ex husband was sitting outside my house watching his ex wife,while she was on her porch.I called PCSO,dispatcher tells me if he make a move toward the house to call right back.I said "maam,the crosshairs are on him,if he moves toward my house the next call is to the coroner."......

Edited by Gone
  • Like 1