Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
lescook

North, South, East and West Paulding

I get the basics of north, south, east and west (and maybe middle?) Paulding, but I have a question(s).

We own a house that is off North Davis Mill Rd and another house that is off Poole Bridge Rd (which is off Ridge Rd).

Now I get that the house off Poole Bridge is considered South Paulding, but what is the house off N. Davis Mill Rd considered? This house is close to Hiram Sudie Rd.

Is it middle Paulding?

I have never thought of one section of Paulding as being "better" or "worse" than another, I kinda thought they were all pretty much the same, but hey, what do I know.

Is there a part of Paulding that is generally considered a "better" part of Paulding and a part that is considered a "worse" part of Paulding?

BTW, just because it is generally considered "better" or "worse", that of course does not make it true.

(just like most of those who think they live in Vinings, actually live in Smyrna and no there is no place called Smynings)

I am not looking to cause problems or have people feel the need to defend their part of Paulding, after all I don't think Paulding needs defending, but ask out of true curiosity.

I get the basics of north, south, east and west (and maybe middle?) Paulding, but I have a question(s).

We own a house that is off North Davis Mill Rd and another house that is off Poole Bridge Rd (which is off Ridge Rd).

Now I get that the house off Poole Bridge is considered South Paulding, but what is the house off N. Davis Mill Rd considered? This house is close to Hiram Sudie Rd.

Is it middle Paulding?

I have never thought of one section of Paulding as being "better" or "worse" than another, I kinda thought they were all pretty much the same, but hey, what do I know.

Is there a part of Paulding that is generally considered a "better" part of Paulding and a part that is considered a "worse" part of Paulding?

BTW, just because it is generally considered "better" or "worse", that of course does not make it true.

(just like most of those who think they live in Vinings, actually live in Smyrna and no there is no place called Smynings)

I am not looking to cause problems or have people feel the need to defend their part of Paulding, after all I don't think Paulding needs defending, but ask out of true curiosity.

New Hope is East Paulding.

I grew up in a house on what is now South Davis Mill when it was a dirt road with only about 8 houses on it. I now live in New Hope which is East Paulding. I consider Dallas to almost be middle Paulding, but North Davis Mill I would still consider south Paulding. North Davis Mill isn't that far from Hiram High School and Hiram is southeast Paulding.

I grew up in a house on what is now South Davis Mill when it was a dirt road with only about 8 houses on it. I now live in New Hope which is East Paulding. I consider Dallas to almost be middle Paulding, but North Davis Mill I would still consider south Paulding. North Davis Mill isn't that far from Hiram High School and Hiram is southeast Paulding.

But N. Davis Mill runs behind Paulding High, it is closer to Hwy. 278 and the Hwy. 61 intersection than it is Hiram High School, plus it has a Dallas address, not Hiram.

Not arguing, just questioning.

In fact, this type of thing is the reason for my post to begin with.

I guess it would depend how far up North Davis Mill you are talking about. You said the house is on the end towards Hiram Sudie, which is south Paulding. When I lived on South Davis Mill 30 years ago we attended Hiram Elementary but we had a Dallas address. I am guessing the Dallas address for that area hasn't changed much.

I lived in East Paulding for 11 years. Six differen addresses, all within a three mile radius.

I have no idea what else there is in Paulding...

If this house is being put up for sale or rent then I would just call it the "Dallas area" since the address is Dallas.

If this house is being put up for sale or rent then I would just call it the "Dallas area" since the address is Dallas.

Nah, I was just wondering about how people see Paulding.

I grew up in Cobb and knew how people saw that county, of course that changed greatly over the years.

But I have no clue how parts of Paulding are perceived.

My house off N Davis Mill is probably about the same mileage from the Dallas square as it is Hiram High.

Now that we have brought it up, I think I will clock it one day, if I remember.

Did you know that there is a piece of property, at the dead end of Poole Bridge Rd that is owned by the City of Atlanta, Airport sumpin sumpin???? I'm out of town right at this moment and can't get to my paperwork but, I couldn't believe it myself, so I printed It right from the tax website!!!

Where the creek is?

From what I understand, Poole Bridge used to have a bridge and cross a creek and continue to Sweetwater Church Rd.

Is the airport gonna extend out to here?

:)

You pose an interesting question as to how folks view certain parts of the county--I was just thinking about this very topic to myself the other night. I have lived here my entire life and have always thought of everywhere 'the same.' Now, as a rule, when I was growing up the 'bad' parts were the housing projects in Dallas and the basketball courts in Hiram. Of course, this was just popular conjecture and most likely had more to do with the racial makeup of the areas than anything.

I can tell you this much: After my first trip to the Hiram WalMart in several years tonight--it now tops my list unequivocally as the bowels of Hell. Jeeze almighty...I felt like running around biting people after 2-3 minutes.

So, to sum it up:

The 'Projects'

Hiram 'courts

Hiram Walmart

• Like 1

You pose an interesting question as to how folks view certain parts of the county--I was just thinking about this very topic to myself the other night. I have lived here my entire life and have always thought of everywhere 'the same.' Now, as a rule, when I was growing up the 'bad' parts were the housing projects in Dallas and the basketball courts in Hiram. Of course, this was just popular conjecture and most likely had more to do with the racial makeup of the areas than anything.

I can tell you this much: After my first trip to the Hiram WalMart in several years tonight--it now tops my list unequivocally as the bowels of Hell. Jeeze almighty...I felt like running around biting people after 2-3 minutes.

So, to sum it up:

The 'Projects'

Hiram 'courts

Hiram Walmart

The Hiram Walmart is ok, you just have to have a certain mind set before going.

Sorta like having a proctology exam, you know what's it's going to be like, you just have to cowboy up and get through it.

The Hiram Walmart is ok, you just have to have a certain mind set before going.

Sorta like having a proctology exam, you know what's it's going to be like, you just have to cowboy up and get through it.

I can dig that--I was just unprepared...next time (god forbid) I will be able to get my mind right before making the journey.

I have NO CLUE!!! I just came across that by accident and thought it was strange that the City of Atlanta/HJIA had property somewhat near our rental house. I do, know that it's at the deadend and kind of SW? Closer to the South but still in a Westerly direction

I've lived in the same S/D as Stradial for 15 years and have only been down to the end of Poole Bridge Rd. once.

<br />I've lived in the same S/D as Stradial for 15 years and have only been down to the end of Poole Bridge Rd. once.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Right off the top of my head, I forget how many acres it is but, I was shocked to see it, myself!!  It may make more sense when GreyStone starts to build in about 5-7 yrs at Hwy 92 & Ridge Rd. Not sure but, just maybe!!!

<br /><br /><br />

Right off the top of my head, I forget how many acres it is but, I was shocked to see it, myself!! It may make more sense when GreStone starts to build in about 5-7 yrs at Hwy 92 & Ridge Rd. Not sure but, just maybe!!!

What is that all about? Did Greystone buy up that farmland? I googled the City of Atlanta and property ownership in Paulding, they have over 10K acres that they own and have had since the 70's, something to do with the airport and also the Paulding Forest. I wonder if some of the acreage just wraps around in such a way to include that area near the end of Poole Bridge. MY DH said they are probably hanging on to it so they can build Section 8 housing one day...I'm pretty sure he's kidding.

Oh Stradial, back to your question, I have never thought any area as West Paulding, only East, North & South.

I think I have a crush on you now :lol:

We consider Nebo, Ridge and Sweetwater Church Rds, South Paulding, anything above Dallas Hwy is North Paulding. We hardly ever mention East or West Paulding Co. Yes, GreyStone bought Mr Fullers property, a few years ago.

Nieces go to PC and live off Hiram Sudie just before the Davis Mill intersection. I'm off Sweetwarer Church and am in Hiram HS district (for now anyway, you know how they like to redraw districts around here!). I think outsiders see the county as a whole as rednecks who chew and spit and carry our shotguns with us. I don't think they realize how awesome we really are!

That the City of Atlanta has owned 10K acres in Paulding for the past forty years is very widely known, as is comes up regularly on this site and in the local media, whenever expansion for Hartsfield Airport is discussed. Atlanta purchased 10K acres here and in Dawson County back in the mid-1970s, with an eye toward opening a second metro airport. At the time, the land in both counties was inexpensive, and Atlanta considered it a bargain to buy the land and hold it long-term, while it considered several different options. There was a tremendous outcry from the Paulding population (making the current airport controversy seem tepid in comparison), which helped to earn Paulding's reputation as reactionary by certain other segments of the Atlanta area. In the end, the lack of interstate access, local opposition and other factors combined to prompt Atlanta to expand Hartsfield by building another terminal there. However, it has held on to the land here and in Dawson ever since. Paulding did purchase 150 or so acres from Atlanta when it built the Paulding Airport, but otherwise the land remains owned by Atlanta. This tale has been told repeatedly in the news recently, with the controversy over the expansion of service into Paulding.

Every one up here in North Paulding will confirm it is the best place in Paulding County.20 minutes to the nearest towns,but only 10 minutes to the solitude and quietness of the woods.

Oh and we have Bigun's too.

Edited by Gone
  • Like 4

Nieces go to PC and live off Hiram Sudie just before the Davis Mill intersection. I'm off Sweetwarer Church and am in Hiram HS district (for now anyway, you know how they like to redraw districts around here!). I think outsiders see the county as a whole as rednecks who chew and spit and carry our shotguns with us. I don't think they realize how awesome we really are!

Uhhh ohhh.....that describes me to a tee.

I don't describe it as North, South, East or West. To me it's still communities. Burnt Hickory, New Hope, Union, New Georgia, Sudie, Braswell, etc. Having lived here over 30 years, I just know where these places are.

• Like 1

I have lived on Hiram Sudie since the '60s. We have never had any problems here. You can say what you want to about

South Paulding, but it is no worse than any other part of the county. Problems are everywhere, nobody in immune to them

now. Just listen to the scanner, North and East have just as many problems or more than the rest of the county. So you folks

that think you live in the best part, just keep on dreaming.

• Like 1

Every one up here in North Paulding will confirm it is the best place in Paulding County.20 minutes to the nearest towns,but only 10 minutes to the solitude and quietness of the woods.

Oh and we have Bigun's too.

Amen!

If you have a Douglasville address, that's def South Paulding. We need our own zip code --- don't know how much sales tax goes to that other county. New GA is also South Paulding, I believe.

<br />BTW, just because it is generally considered "better" or "worse", that of course does not make it true.<br />(just like most of those who think they live in Vinings, actually live in Smyrna and no <b>there is no place called Smynings
<br /><br /><br />

I also grew up in Smyrna (moved in 82) and am sad as to the changes. Smynings makes me laugh. Seriously, laugh!!! I am in North Paulding. Closer to Cartersville and Acworth.

Yorkville is northwest of Dallas, and Union is southwest of Yorkville.

Braswell is just Braswell and defies explanation but it's northwest of Burnt Hickory if you ever need to go there.

Not sure why you would, really...

Braswell is just Braswell and defies explanation but it's northwest of Burnt Hickory if you ever need to go there.  <br /><br />Not sure why you would, really... /><br />

Just to pass thru going to the pizza farm and the dirt road on the east side of town is access to the wma.

Having been born and raised in Paulding, when I hear someone say North, South, East or West Pauling, my response is always, "Wherever that in." Now, if you say New Hope, Burnt Hickory, Acworth, Braswell, Yorkville, etc., then I understand. Just about everybody I know personally who was born and raised in Paulding are the same way.

• Like 1