Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Mrskittycat

what do you think about the goverment shutdown?

do you think it's fair for them to shut down public places that our tax dollars pay for? I also heard on the news today since the farmers are not getting help from Government, that the price of milk may soon be 6+ dollars a gallon! and that's just the dairy farmers, no telling what prices could reach for other food.I for one am sick of it all! a bunch of grown? people do this to prove a point,but who is it hurting? Yep us peons.IMHO I think if they want to shut down, fine go do your thing but stop taking my tax dollars to fund things I cant have access to.. ok throw your stones this is just my opinion

do you think it's fair for them to shut down public places that our tax dollars pay for? I also heard on the news today since the farmers are not getting help from Government, that the price of milk may soon be 6+ dollars a gallon! and that's just the dairy farmers, no telling what prices could reach for other food.I for one am sick of it all! a bunch of grown? people do this to prove a point,but who is it hurting? Yep us peons.IMHO I think if they want to shut down, fine go do your thing but stop taking my tax dollars to fund things I cant have access to.. ok throw your stones this is just my opinion

I agree. But one thing that really bothers me is all the whining about the 'non-essential' workers that are out of work. They will either get back pay when the 'shut down' is over or they can draw immediate unemployment while they are out of work. When normal people are furloughed, their money is never recouped, they're just SOL.

It's inexcusable. The New York Times published a 5-page expose yesterday detailing how monied Tea Party interests (think Koch brothers), have planned for and set-up this shutdown months ago to extort the American people. It's traitorous behavior.

mrnn

• Like 2

Scare tactics. Pure and simple.

Time for all of them, from the Pres_ent down to the first year Representatives to sit down and hammer out an agreement. Keep some things shut down if necessary. If the country can do without them, leave them shut down.

Every single moral, fiscally responsible citizen has to make cut backs if income doesn't cover expenses. It's time for the government to do the same thing.

• Like 3

What I think is crap is that every member on Congress is still receiving pay during this shutdown. Uh...excuse me?!?!?!

They may be entitled to it but some are not taking it. I read that Gingrey is refusing his and will not be a part of the Health Care Program. He does not believe Congress should be getting subsidies when the normal citizen does not. He is sending his check to pay down the national debt during the shutdown and providing for his family's health care.. Think I read that several of the Republicans are either doing this with their pay checks or sending it to charity.

Both sides are waiting for the other side to blink, If neither side does even they admit if it gets to the point where America has to default on its debt the result could mean another recession that could eventually reverberate around the world. Some think they may be just stupid enough to let it happen.

If there ever was a better time to call for a Constitutional Convention I can't think of it.

Edited by CitizenCain

The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

All the liberals whining about how the tea party GOP are destroying our country is a piece of crap. NEVER in any shut down has the president ordered all previously open landmarks like the WW II monument, Lincoln Memorial, Mt Rushmore and even ocean bays closed. All PO (AH) is doing is hurting everyone he can to get sympathy and fear the sky will fall. The last time we almost had a shut down under PO (AH) he said your social security check and military pay wouldn't be coming. It was and is a lie. PO liar, liar, liar and a narcissistic want to be dictator. Last time I read the Constitution when both houses pass a bill and the president signs it, it becomes the law of the land. PO (AH) does NOT have the authority to allow some to be delayed or exempt INCLUDING Congress. No one will stand up and impeach him (which should be done) or they will be called a racist. Well call me a racist if you wish but someone in Congress needs to file impeachment against PO (AH). Where is Bob Barr when you need him.

Everyone in every state should pay attention and all the ones stalling....namely demonuts... should be voted out of office.

The House passed a bill to take away the Congress' exemption and Reid refused to bring it up in the Senate. The House passed a bill to exempt us....ordinary citizens.... for one year like businesses but here again Reid refused to bring it up. They voted to fund veterans, CDC, Washington, DC and still Reid refused to bring it up. Now who is stone walling? Reid and PO (AH).

• Like 2

If those places cost money to staff and run and are not vital then yes. Outdoor places no.

For instance kennesaw mt park. Sure close the museum. It needs to be staffed and cleaned. Keeping it open costs money. The park itself no way. That costs nothing to let people enjoy. Should the gates be closed? Maybe. If you have to close them at night who opens them in the morning. Close them and leave them closed. If they can stay open then leave them open.

I love it

Maybe now folks will wake up and realize that the federal government is too big adn as way too much power.

Quit waiting on big brother to help you,fend for yourself.

• Like 2

The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

All the liberals whining about how the tea party GOP are destroying our country is a piece of crap. NEVER in any shut down has the president ordered all previously open landmarks like the WW II monument, Lincoln Memorial, Mt Rushmore and even ocean bays closed. All PO (AH) is doing is hurting everyone he can to get sympathy and fear the sky will fall. The last time we almost had a shut down under PO (AH) he said your social security check and military pay wouldn't be coming. It was and is a lie. PO liar, liar, liar and a narcissistic want to be dictator. Last time I read the Constitution when both houses pass a bill and the president signs it, it becomes the law of the land. PO (AH) does NOT have the authority to allow some to be delayed or exempt INCLUDING Congress. No one will stand up and impeach him (which should be done) or they will be called a racist. Well call me a racist if you wish but someone in Congress needs to file impeachment against PO (AH). Where is Bob Barr when you need him.

Everyone in every state should pay attention and all the ones stalling....namely demonuts... should be voted out of office.

The House passed a bill to take away the Congress' exemption and Reid refused to bring it up in the Senate. The House passed a bill to exempt us....ordinary citizens.... for one year like businesses but here again Reid refused to bring it up. They voted to fund veterans, CDC, Washington, DC and still Reid refused to bring it up. Now who is stone walling? Reid and PO (AH).

1. That's been the President's position all along.

2. BTW on what grounds would you impeach Obama ? ( Stamping your feet and yelling just because won't work.)

3.So what's the plan fund the government piece by piece until the only thing left is the Health Care act ? Shrewd no one would ever see though such a clever plan !

In reality, the shutdown only demonstrates just how unimportant much of the government is. Life is continuing just fine without them.

• Like 7

In reality, the shutdown only demonstrates just how unimportant much of the government is. Life is continuing just fine without them.

It's been less than a week....give it time.

With that said, and I've mentioned before, it's the debt ceiling that scares the sheeze out of me. Shutdowns have happened throughout history, the debt ceiling has never failed to be raised.

ETA: Why hasn't John Boenher put the clean CR on the floor for an up and down vote? He said this morning that it would fail because there aren't enough Republicans to pass it. Many news sources are citing 21 GOP reps who have said they would vote for a clean CR. So is Boehner lying? If he's not, why not give the House the opportunity to open government back up by letting the House vote?

mrnn

Edited by mrnn

With that said, and I've mentioned before, it's the debt ceiling that scares the sheeze out of me. Shutdowns have happened throughout history, the debt ceiling has never failed to be raised.

ETA: Why hasn't John Boenher put the clean CR on the floor for an up and down vote? He said this morning that it would fail because there aren't enough Republicans to pass it. Many news sources are citing 21 GOP reps who have said they would vote for a clean CR. So is Boehner lying? If he's not, why not give the House the opportunity to open government back up by letting the House vote?

mrnn

Why won't the Dems budge? Passing a CR takes away some bargaining chips.

I have little use for either party anymore, but in this case, the GOP is the one who is listening to the majority of the people. A high majority of the people do not support Obamacare and they want spending reigned in.

Did you read my article above? Put simply...this is how it works. The House is doing it's job. I wish the media would report it accurately.

Why won't the Dems budge? Passing a CR takes away some bargaining chips.

I have little use for either party anymore, but in this case, the GOP is the one who is listening to the majority of the people. A high majority of the people do not support Obamacare and they want spending reigned in.

Did you read my article above? Put simply...this is how it works. The House is doing it's job. I wish the media would report it accurately.

Yes, I read it and believe it's a weak argument. The article pretends that elections mean nothing by ignoring the Presidential and Senate elections and gerrymandered House elections of 2012 (Dems had 1.2M for votes for House seats than GOP but only picked up, what, like 12 seats?). The article pretends that the primary function of the House is not to fund the government in its entirety, but rather to just fund the parts that they like. It pretends that refusing to fund a law previously legitimized via legislation, adjudication, and electorally, is constitutional when, in fact, it flies in the face of the constitution. The article pretends that a minority party is constitutionally justified to hold the full faith and credit of the United States (despite the 14th amendment) hostage in order to push through minority legislation (that House bill includes not just Obamacare but Keystone, eliminating Consumer Protection, eliminating EPA regulations, opening ANWR and offshore drilling, unleashing coal, etc....a veritable Christmas list of the GOP).

RE: Obamacare being unpopular....the stat we usually read from the conservative talking heads is about how 56% of Americans are against the law. A deeper look into that statistic says that 18% of that 56% are against the law because they wanted a single-payer system. That leaves 38% truly against Obamacare. This true figure meshes with the 2012 election cycle where, in national and statewide elections, Obamacare supporting candidates outperformed those against Obamacare.

mrnn

• Like 1

Every damn one of them should be dragged out of the capitol and the white house and horse whipped until the shutdown ends. We have a bunch of damn lawyers making decisions where we would be far better served if we had a bunch of dirt farmers. These are professional politicians.

I still say that we would be way ahead right now if the terrorist had missed the World Trade Center and hit the capitol.

• Like 1

Obama received 50.1% of the popular vote in 2012. Maybe we need an electoral college to decide what Americans want based on popular vote as well.

RE: Obamacare being unpopular....the stat we usually read from the conservative talking heads is about how 56% of Americans are against the law. A deeper look into that statistic says that 18% of that 56% are against the law because they wanted a single-payer system. That leaves 38% truly against Obamacare. This true figure meshes with the 2012 election cycle where, in national and statewide elections, Obamacare supporting candidates outperformed those against Obamacare.

mrnn

With that said, and I've mentioned before, it's the debt ceiling that scares the sheeze out of me. Shutdowns have happened throughout history, the debt ceiling h

as never failed to be raised.

mrnn

Why hasn't Reid put any of the House passed resolutions on the floor of the Senate?

Dirt farmers is what most were when they started meeting in the 1770s to determine our future. And not only dirt farmers, but tradesmen. Actually very few "lawyers".

Then we were lucky. We got an assemblage of some of the greatest minds of their time who all came together, with plenty and lots of disagreements, and they hammered out the Declaration, the Bill of Rights, Consititutions, Governmental framework, .....all from scratch.

Then they approved it, and allowed the rest of the sates to approve it.

Now, our PAID professional Congress cannot even agree on simple legislation to fund the govermental agencies we need, many in order to do business. The crop and beef, pork, chicken, and turkey statistics the various companies use to determine pricing for next week, next month, and next quarter have all been suspended. They have to go with their gut feelings without any feed back of what is out there in cold storage, at the slaughtershouses, in freezers, in export containers, etc. And we now have no feedback on how the grain harvest is coming now that it is in full swing. Is the crop good ? Which will bring prices down, which you will see at the grocery stores. Is it bad, poor, fair.? we don't know.

The guys who did that work are furloughed and once they come back it will take weeks to imput the data.

And by the time they are back to full speed, the crop will be harvested. So much for our intergovernment agencies that help the farmers, brokers, buyers, etc. know what is going on.

And while the great GOP congress was trying to pass all these other bills, farm bill not included, ....why will they not allow the EPA requested suspension of the Ethanol Mandate to hit the floor and get at least discussion, if not an outright vote ? Why....because they have been paid not to.

It's inexcusable. The New York Times published a 5-page expose yesterday detailing how monied Tea Party interests (think Koch brothers), have planned for and set-up this shutdown months ago to extort the American people. It's traitorous behavior.

mrnn

Interesting article you cite. I believe it. If folks haven't gathered they're being played like a fiddle, they are blind.

Yep, that NYTimes article tells the story about how the devil went down to Georgia.

Jon Tripcony, when he said we need a single-payer health system in this NYTimes article, basically called the winner ... and it ain't the devil.

That's the reason the affordable care act will stand. And while I won't go so far as to say opposition to the ACA is traitorous I will say employing the tactics involved is so disrespectful of 227 years of constitutional government all the perpetrators should be thrown out on their collective butts.

The really sad thing is that all of the opponents already have health care coverage and, if anything, will benefit from the cost containment aspects of the ACA. Their reason for opposing it is because of their tacit collusion in profiting, including through fraud, from the bloated extortion the existing medical care system extracts from the rest of us.

pubby

You people that keep blaming the Tea Party and the Koch Brothers for everything are absolutely laughable!

And it shows that you get your "news" from partisan blogs instead of pursuing the real facts.

• Like 2

Dirt farmers is what most were when they started meeting in the 1770s to determine our future. And not only dirt farmers, but tradesmen. Actually very few "lawyers".

Then we were lucky. We got an assemblage of some of the greatest minds of their time who all came together, with plenty and lots of disagreements, and they hammered out the Declaration, the Bill of Rights, Consititutions, Governmental framework, .....all from scratch.

Then they approved it, and allowed the rest of the sates to approve it.

Now, our PAID professional Congress cannot even agree on simple legislation to fund the govermental agencies we need, many in order to do business. The crop and beef, pork, chicken, and turkey statistics the various companies use to determine pricing for next week, next month, and next quarter have all been suspended. They have to go with their gut feelings without any feed back of what is out there in cold storage, at the slaughtershouses, in freezers, in export containers, etc. And we now have no feedback on how the grain harvest is coming now that it is in full swing. Is the crop good ? Which will bring prices down, which you will see at the grocery stores. Is it bad, poor, fair.? we don't know.

The guys who did that work are furloughed and once they come back it will take weeks to imput the data.

And by the time they are back to full speed, the crop will be harvested. So much for our intergovernment agencies that help the farmers, brokers, buyers, etc. know what is going on.

And while the great GOP congress was trying to pass all these other bills, farm bill not included, ....why will they not allow the EPA requested suspension of the Ethanol Mandate to hit the floor and get at least discussion, if not an outright vote ? Why....because they have been paid not to.

Yes, and not knowing that information, increases risk and when risk increases, so do prices. If things are better than anticipated; more profit accrues and the money men are happyier than they would be if they knew it was a good harvest.

Bottom line, if we shut down all these aspects of the government, those with money tend to win while the rest of us mere mortals lose. It is pure selfishness and frankly:

These scenes are from the movie Network (1976) which is available on demand on HBO.

pubby

... and ...

but don't forget this one:

You people that keep blaming the Tea Party and the Koch Brothers for everything are absolutely laughable!

And it shows that you get your "news" from partisan blogs instead of pursuing the real facts.

Partisan blogs my ass; the NYTimes.

Sorry if you fox-muddled mind is incapable of telling the difference.

pubby

Why hasn't Reid put any of the House passed resolutions on the floor of the Senate?

He put their CR on the floor and it failed in an up and down vote. Why won't Boehner do the same? Surely he's not putting his speakership above the interests of the United States.

mrnn

I read your article, read mine. And when you're done and you still don't buy it, point me to the long history of the NYT being caught in lies. While I'll grant you that their editorial board is unabashedly leftist, their reporting is considering top notch around the globe and has been for decades.

mrnn

Obama received 50.1% of the popular vote in 2012. Maybe we need an electoral college to decide what Americans want based on popular vote as well.

Obama had 51 and Romney got 47...a 4pt swing and 126 electoral vote victory is pretty much an ass-whooping.

mrnn

• Like 1

I agree. But one thing that really bothers me is all the whining about the 'non-essential' workers that are out of work. They will either get back pay when the 'shut down' is over or they can draw immediate unemployment while they are out of work. When normal people are furloughed, their money is never recouped, they're just SOL.

WOW! It isn't def yet all of them will get their pay. Unemployment barely pays your mortgage and I'm not sure where you come up with the furlough part....If you have a civilian job (not talking GOVT here NORMAL people as you put it....Not really sure why they are normal but GS isn't) and get laid off AKA furlough you get unemployment....It is no fault of you, if you company cuts back. Once again I don't understand the hate towards GS and Contractors on here. The politicians shut the GOVT and it seems to be OK to hate on the GOVT workers....................SMH

The only way for the government shutdown to be fair is when they shut down Congress and all branches of fat cat government. Rest assured if Congress was to have their paychecks suffer due to a shutdown they would make it a priority to avoid it.

• Like 3

Partisan blogs my ass; the NYTimes.

Sorry if you fox-muddled mind is incapable of telling the difference.

pubby

The NY Times has a well-known liberal slant. The fact that you apparently don't know that only confirms your own partisan leanings.

• Like 2

51.1%47.2%

Four points is huge if it's baseball but four points isn't much when it comes to an ass whooping. That is NOT an overwhelming majority. An overwhelming majority would be like 60/40.

Obama had 51 and Romney got 47...a 4pt swing and 126 electoral vote victory is pretty much an ass-whooping.

mrnn

mrnn

I know this is true. I also heard they they intend to keep it up until everyone that receives a check goes without. Heard about this way back in the summer.

They may be entitled to it but some are not taking it. I read that Gingrey is refusing his and will not be a part of the Health Care Program. He does not believe Congress should be getting subsidies when the normal citizen does not. He is sending his check to pay down the national debt during the shutdown and providing for his family's health care.. Think I read that several of the Republicans are either doing this with their pay checks or sending it to charity.

At his age, I hope he will share the price of his premium with us :ninja:

Just noticed this...

Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR)

FURLOUGH UPDATE

All NAVAIR HQ employees should return to work tomorrow, Monday Oct 7, unless otherwise notified. Those who will not be recalled will be contacted today with further info. Legislation may be enacted to provide back pay for furloughed employees, to include restoration of leave. However, this cannot be done until the shutdown ends.

Keyword MAY................

Nice you cant even live in your own home :wacko:

http://www.ktnv.com/news/local/226557661.html?lc=Smart

Oh wow, that's crazy! I can't believe they're forcing people out of their homes. This is getting ridiculous!

On another note, my husband's nephew who is currently going to college for Criminal Justice is unable to write his research paper due to the National Institute of Justice and the Bureau of Justice Statistics websites being shut down.

I don't think they know just how many people they are affecting! And all because some grown men are arguing over not getting their way.

:nea:

The NY Times has a well-known liberal slant. The fact that you apparently don't know that only confirms your own partisan leanings.

The slant, my friend, is in caring about the topic. The Times is a journalistic organization that retracts facts when it gets them wrong. The facts here are that the conservative cabal decided after Romney lost that they had to take down Obamacare at any cost and apparently would ruin the nation's credit, throw millions of federal employees out of work, wreck the economy to get their way.

Why?

I'm beginning to believe it is simply because the Democrats stole Romney care and put it in to law and they're pissed that they're not going to get credit for this inspiration of the Heritage Foundation.

pubby

PS: If that is not why, why did Romney pitch his plan in his 2008 effort to get the GOP nomination and why did the Bush Administration enact Part D of medicare if they weren't trying to buy votes from the elderly with prescription drug coverage. Of course that is the really sick thing; those in the GOP do things like Medicare Part D to cozy up to groups and get their vote (the elderly) while Democrats do it mainly because it is the right thing to do. (Of course the Republicans assert their reasons are the only logical reasons to do anything so discount the stated motives of their Democratic brethren.)

I know this is true. I also heard they they intend to keep it up until everyone that receives a check goes without. Heard about this way back in the summer.

At his age, I hope he will share the price of his premium with us :ninja:

Not nice LPPT!

The slant, my friend, is in caring about the topic. The Times is a journalistic organization that retracts facts when it gets them wrong. The facts here are that the conservative cabal decided after Romney lost that they had to take down Obamacare at any cost and apparently would ruin the nation's credit, throw millions of federal employees out of work, wreck the economy to get their way.

Why?

I'm beginning to believe it is simply because the Democrats stole Romney care and put it in to law and they're pissed that they're not going to get credit for this inspiration of the Heritage Foundation.

pubby

Oh give me a break. Quit crying wolf and all the bleeding heart junk about our country failing. Just like Reid and Pelosi you want to blame the GOP and Tea Party. I say tar and feather all ofCongress and PO and start over. Would you like to be President Pubby? I'll vote for you.

• Like 2