Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
jp184

need advise

I have a friend who has a family member who got into some trouble and was charged with a misdemeanor. They do not have the money for an attorney but their afraid their income is to high for a public defender. Does the public defenders office only look at the income or do they consider what your bills are and what you pay out each month. If you have any suggestions please let me know so I can pass this on to them. They are good people its just that one family member made a stupid mistake. Thanks!

I have a friend who has a family member who got into some trouble and was charged with a misdemeanor. They do not have the money for an attorney but their afraid their income is to high for a public defender. Does the public defenders office only look at the income or do they consider what your bills are and what you pay out each month. If you have any suggestions please let me know so I can pass this on to them. They are good people its just that one family member made a stupid mistake. Thanks!

You can call the City or the County, which ever jurisdiction the offense occurred, then they can give you more accurate info. There is also an attorney who is a commerce member on here who may be able to give you advise on the situ...

The qualifications are set at the state level. As I understand, they look at a combination of household income and assets. I don't think they go into depth with bills and other expenses. It seems that most people with jobs don't qualify, because the cutoff is pretty low and because they look at the household, not just the individual.

If they don't qualify, there are a lot of attorneys who are willing to work out payments plans, like I do.

in the real world in this county, if you have a job you do not qualify

they seem to save the public defender funds for those that are stuck in jail and cannot bond out

You are better off asking the PD office in that particular jurisdiction. And please don't let anyone tell you that public defenders don't do a good job. The level of service varies from across Counties.

You are better off asking the PD office in that particular jurisdiction. And please don't let anyone tell you that public defenders don't do a good job. The level of service varies from across Counties.

I agree Nick. I know of some who work as hard as PD as they do for paying cilents. Yes. very hard indeed.

Thanks everyone, they decided not to go apply because they feel their income is over the income guidelines. I'm not sure what they will do, maybe start selling some things.

Sell whatever you can and DON'T use a Public Defender!! They only spend an average of 10 minutes on your case.

A public defender can actually do more for you than a lawyer. They work together often and if they get along they'll often be able to get charges dropped.

Someone I know had a 3rd DUI charge, the public defender got it reduced to reckless driving. The offer by the public defender "I'll bake you a batch of chocolate chip cookies.".