Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Eddie Bennett

Football Coach Knew About Rape, But Games Continued

Steubenville football coach knew athletes raped girl, 16, and still tried to shield them of prosecution. Meanwhile, two teenage girls were arrested for threatening the rape victim on Twitter.

Steubenville Football Coach Reno Saccoccia.

He not only knew that two of his players had sexually assaulted a teen-age girl during a booze-fueled night last August, he also tried to shield his athletes from prosecution, evidence presented during the trial suggests.

My Link

Edited by The Postman

This is a major reason I'm glad the atty. gen. prosecuting the case has convened a grand jury to consider charges against other people. He told one of the players he'd just make this all go away. I hope they round them all up, put them in jail, and then bulldoze the football stadium and its surrounds. Geez Louise.

• Like 2

This is a major reason I'm glad the atty. gen. prosecuting the case has convened a grand jury to consider charges against other people. He told one of the players he'd just make this all go away. I hope they round them all up, put them in jail, and then bulldoze the football stadium and its surrounds. Geez Louise.

I can't even imagine how a civilized community can get away with things like this, and allow rapists to continue to represent their school in football games. Stubenville, and Atlanta, are on the news for gross activity, while some people call it biased hit jobs on authority.

I'm glad nobody it using Vick's Vapor Rub around their eyes to make themselves cry, while broadcasting to the public. but even that goes on in the media.. unsure.gifunsure.gif

Edited by The Postman

Nobody was convicted of anything when they played the games. That's how it works in this country - innocent until PROVEN guilty in a court of law. Would you have it any other way?

Schools do have different rules about what happens when a player is ACCUSED of something. The question is what were the rules at the school in Stubenville?

Nobody was convicted of anything when they played the games. That's how it works in this country - innocent until PROVEN guilty in a court of law. Would you have it any other way?

Schools do have different rules about what happens when a player is ACCUSED of something. The question is what were the rules at the school in Stubenville?

I agree with your first paragraph, markdavd, but with your second paragraph I sort of disagree. School rules are administrated by school officials. If the law finds out about a cover up, those rules will be changed, if in fact it's a rule. But, I don't think that is a school rule. Saccoccia wasn't going by school rules, and if he was the school administrators will be answering to some charges.drinks.gif

Edited by The Postman

But, I don't think that is a school rule. Saccoccia wasn't going by school rules, and if he was the school administrators will be answering to some charges.

If there wasn't a rule saying players accused but not convicted of a felony can't play, why would the school administrators face charges? What charges would they face?

Maybe a question of legal or ethical.

If there is a report given to a teacher or school employee concerning possible abuse, it has to be reported to the authorities. There is an ethical policy for educators.

Something similar happened at PCHS around 1997. There was a group of basketball players who would target a girl who had problems such as low self esteem or had bad home situations and pretend to "like" the girl. They would make the girls think that they wanted to be their "boyfriends" and would coerce the girls into having sex. The girls, if I'm not mistaken, were ages 13 to 15. Several of the boys actually raped one of the girls, and she tried to kill herself twice. The coach got made when the sheriff's department came to the school to arrest the boys because it was close to the time for a big game, because most of the boys involved were star players.

At the trial, the coach said that he, personally, did not see anything wrong with what the boys did. Luckily, they were all convicted and most of them did time, even though it wasn't for very long.