Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
drosser

Car Lots

A good friend of my daughter's has had been through some really bad times financially. She has a decent job but not so good credit because of divorce and some other stuff. She is in desperate need of a car. She tried to get one through a normal dealer but that didn't work.

Does anyone know of any buy here-pay here lots that can be trusted? She's been through so much that I'd hate for her to get stuck with a lemon she won't have the money to get fixed.

I've seen some in Paulding, Douglas, and Cobb but I don't know the first thing about any of them.

if she has that much to put down, why not just buy something out right so she doesnt have a car payment? She would be better off getting a secure credit card through her bank to establish credit, buy a car out right and once she has reestablished credit she can finance through a traditional lot/loan...she will save a fortune!

I think these guys do "buy here pay here" but I'm not exactly sure.

I recommend Autohouse in downtown Hiram. My dealing was with Billy Oneal. Extremely honest. They are members here on Paulding.com and I've read many favorable comments about them on here.

if she has that much to put down, why not just buy something out right so she doesnt have a car payment? She would be better off getting a secure credit card through her bank to establish credit, buy a car out right and once she has reestablished credit she can finance through a traditional lot/loan...she will save a fortune!

She's only got $1,000 to put down. That won't buy any kind of decent car. She has a child and works nights, so she needs dependable transportation.

I recommend Autohouse in downtown Hiram. My dealing was with Billy Oneal. Extremely honest. They are members here on Paulding.com and I've read many favorable comments about them on here.

I researched them and feel like the cars they sell are not worth anywhere near what they are asking for them. No one deserves to be ripped off just because they'd had credit problems in the past. But it might be that all the buy here-pay here places are like that. I haven't ever had any dealings with them, so I don't know if this is how they operate.

One of my daughters bought a car at one of those places about 10 years ago and she didn't have to put a whole lot down. She paid by the week and they were pretty reasonble. It took her 3 years to pay the car off, and she never had any mechanical problems with it. Unfortunately, the place is no longer there. It was in Doraville.

Try Auto House in Hiram.

2nd Try: Credit Acceptance (next to CVS at intersection of Hardy Pky & Bobo Rd)

Thanks!! I'll tell her about Credit Acceptance.

I researched them and feel like the cars they sell are not worth anywhere near what they are asking for them. No one deserves to be ripped off just because they'd had credit problems in the past. But it might be that all the buy here-pay here places are like that. I haven't ever had any dealings with them, so I don't know if this is how they operate.

One of my daughters bought a car at one of those places about 10 years ago and she didn't have to put a whole lot down. She paid by the week and they were pretty reasonble. It took her 3 years to pay the car off, and she never had any mechanical problems with it. Unfortunately, the place is no longer there. It was in Doraville.

Thanks!! I'll tell her about Credit Acceptance.

I hope you help her find a good deal, on a good car, with a good title.

If Credit Acceptance is the lot across the street from Briar Patch that used to be Nathan's... Please do much research.

I hope you help her find a good deal, on a good car, with a good title.

If Credit Acceptance is the lot across the street from Briar Patch that used to be Nathan's... Please do much research.

I don't know anything about Credit Acceptance, but it sounds like that's where it's at. I might not tell her about them if you've heard bad things. That's why I got on her. I wanted to find out if anyone had any experience with local places.

I don't know anything about Credit Acceptance, but it sounds like that's where it's at. I might not tell her about them if you've heard bad things. That's why I got on her. I wanted to find out if anyone had any experience with local places.

Personally I had a very good experiance with Billy Oneal at Autohouse. In fact in 40+ years of trading cars I rate this experiance one of the best.

I've never stepped foot on the lot across from the Briar Patch (and never will). My daughter-in-law had the worst car buying experiance I've ever heard of. They claimed the sales manager ripped her off, then the name of the lot changed from Nathan's. She has a judgement against the sales manager. Maybe in 1,000 years her judgement will get paid after the 40 ahead of her's get paid. Turn's up her duplicate title was worthless against Title Max's real title.

You get what you pay for. She got one great deal on that car. I saw her paperwork and I saw the screen at Red Top Action. She paid to the penny the exact same price the owner of Nathan's paid Red Top Auction. Hum???

My only experience worth mentioning: I saw a Mercedes ML320 on a lot. I've always liked those, reminds me of Tonka toys. I looked at it, found a receipt with the previous owner's info on it and called him. He was the only owner before he traded it in on a new one. He said that he loved it, that it was a great car but that the radiator had blown and the cost of repair was so insane that he traded it in on a new one. So someone repaired the radiator, sold it at auction and here it sat in Dallas. The lot wanted 3 times the book value in installment payments and no "cash" price was available. So, it was a good car - but who knows if it would last the time it would take you to pay 3 times the book value - In that case, I bet it wouldn't.

It is the same lot. I actually bought mine around the time the "scandel" made the news. (A relative of the owner who worked at the lot ran off with several people's cash down payments and never registered their vehicles with the state) I remember I had a delay with registration, a few weeks as I recall. BUT no other issues with them, even with a few late payments here and there (JUST have her call them if that happens to work out a later payment date). I just paid off my purchase within 4 years, had monthly payments I could handle, and never once had an issue. This is just my personal experience.

I think in that range you ought to check out GTA Autos on Macland right at the cobb line.

Steve Lang seems to be a pretty good guy. I know that Subby bought a nice Saab from him at a great price. Most of the cars are $500-700 or so down and the cars seem priced reasonably. You can see some listings of his from earlier this month. I think he provides carfax on all of them.

http://paulding.com/forum/index.php/forum/6-automotive/

pubby

CARFAX is the key document when buying a used car ... and when you get one with big questions, run.

The smart thing to do with any used car to is have it checked out BEFORE you buy it. If not then you only have yourself to blame if you get a lemon.

Be very wary of the fine print of those "buy here pay here" lots. Many of them have the clause that if you are so much as a day late with the payment you lose the car and every thing you've put into it money wise.

Had a friend that did detail work for one of those places and he said Saturday mornings were like Christmas on the lot. Everyone would show up, pull personal items out of all the cars, divvy it out, clean them up, and have them ready to sale again all before 10am.

She's only got $1,000 to put down. That won't buy any kind of decent car. She has a child and works nights, so she needs dependable transportation.

my husband bought an explorer for $900 three years ago, not one mechanical issue since....we are car shopping for our daughter now, price range, 1k...

most buy here pay here places are 'good', they just charge an arm and a leg for their services, they are catering to credit challenged people...I think most want at the very least 1k down and for a car worth about 4k you will end up financing around 12-15k. I think most of them on average run about $400 a month.

Ive heard good things about the one that is on pcom, I think its auto house?

Hope she finds something good :)

• Like 1

Maybe have her sign up through a credit union and take out a small personal loan or a car loan. She could have a little more to buy a car outright and her payments would be manageable. I have been with membersfirst for about 10 years and love them. I've had a car loan through them as well. First hand experience. :)

Maybe have her sign up through a credit union and take out a small personal loan or a car loan. She could have a little more to buy a car outright and her payments would be manageable. I have been with membersfirst for about 10 years and love them. I've had a car loan through them as well. First hand experience. :)

Op, stated that the person can't get financed, therefore they probably can't take out a loan at a bank. :)

I didn't see that she had anything as a down payment.

But if she does, then I do agree with you. No car payment and a secured credit card is a great start over.

Op, stated that the person can't get financed, therefore they probably can't take out a loan at a bank. :)

I'm not able to get financed for stuff either, that's why i love the credit union. They always do their best to assist me and i don't know all the technicalities but i know they have approved me more than once when a bank wouldn't. :blush: Worth a try. I hear that Family Savings credit union is a good one too. Maybe she could atleast call them and get an idea of if they could help. :pardon:

idk what is on her credit....I'm a loan officer and have seen some pretty ugly reports due to divorce, unfortunately.

It's going to be hard getting something financed with "bad" credit and not have 1. a high interest rate or 2. over priced car. Financial institutions and dealers may see someones credit as "High risk" and that is where the high rates come from. Unfortunatley, you have to "pay your dues" to get your credit back. And I know first hand about that. :/

I can say I have seen several people who couldn't get loans through their banks or credit unions at the time of purchase have gone with Santander and another lender (can't remember their name for the life of me right now). BUT, I've also refinanced a ton of loans from those same lenders...and they were charging customers up to 25% APR. (25% is extream, but I do see a lot of 14-18% loans)

It may be worth it to her to have a high interest loan for a year while she repairs her credit, and refinance for a lower rate through her credit union or bank later. It wouldn't hurt to open a membership with a credit union now and open a small $500 secured credit card to build a relationship before she attempts to refinance down the road.

Drivetime. But as you probably already know with a bad credit score anywhere she goes she's going to have pay an arm and a leg in high interest.

https://www.drivetime.com/

I think you interest rate here depends on your down payment....so maybe she can buy down a good rate. I've heard good and bad things about this place.

I'd say stay away from older cars (statistically speaking, cars only last 6-10 year...if you finance a 6 year old car for 5 years, you run the risk of making a payment on a non running car), and certainly have your mechanic look at it if you can.

I personally use Marotti Auto here in Dallas, and I trust everything that man says. He's helped me out a lot when I've been scammed by other local mechanics.

• Like 1

Secured credit cards are the BEST way to rebuild credit! My dh had his credit ruined by his parents using his ss# to get cc's and and utilities in his and other siblings names. We up'd his score 140 points in a year by getting 2, using them to pay bills and them pay them off. We didn't pay much interest because we paid them off every month. Fwiw, we got a Wells Fargo and capital one!

i second that i just got a car from them great honest folks. my car had a issue after i bought it i called them they had me bring it back and took care of it right then and there. no fuss no attitude and no charge. they stand behind their cars! they even worked with me to get a payment that i could afford. And Billy was the one who sold me my car. :wub: my car will be paid off in 2yrs...and it came with a warranty. for 3 months as well

Edited by Krazyboutcats
  • Like 1

I think in that range you ought to check out GTA Autos on Macland right at the cobb line.

Steve Lang seems to be a pretty good guy. I know that Subby bought a nice Saab from him at a great price. Most of the cars are $500-700 or so down and the cars seem priced reasonably. You can see some listings of his from earlier this month. I think he provides carfax on all of them.

http://paulding.com/...m/6-automotive/

pubby

CARFAX is the key document when buying a used car ... and when you get one with big questions, run.

i tried him he was a no show on the day i told him i was coming said he forgot then showed up 20 mins later only to get on the phone and leave me standing there. he had said he has several cars in my price range but when i finally got to talk to him he had 1 pimp daddy car hid in the back he was trying to sell me. i would tell anyone to buy a car there.

Edited by Krazyboutcats

i tried him he was a no show on the day i told him i was coming said he forgot then showed up 20 mins later only to get on the phone and leave me standing there. he had said he has several cars in my price range but when i finally got to talk to him he had 1 pimp daddy car hid in the back he was trying to sell me. i would tell anyone to buy a car there.

You WOULD tell anyone to buy a car there?

Thanks so much to everyone for their input. I'm passing everything on to my daughter to pass on to her friend. She does have a down payment and her credit score is around 550. She tried to get a car at a well-advertised dealer that claimed the could get financing for low credit scores. They put her in a $16,000 with a $1,500 down payment. She had it a month without hearing anything from them. She had it insured with the name of a supposed lien holder and everything, but she never received any paperwork or bill from the lien holder about when she was supposed to begin her payments. The dealer kept telling her that everything was fine but then started asking for additional copies of her check stubs and WC form. She provided everything to them, and then they told her the lienholder said the documents were fake, which was just unbelievable. They would not allow her to talk to anyone at the lienholder and would not tell her the name of the company. They just kept saying "the bank". She had to take the car back earlier this week and is now about to lose her job because she's having a had time getting to work.

She has got the names of several places that she will be looking tomorrow. I will proide an update when and if she gets a car.

Thanks so much to everyone for their input. I'm passing everything on to my daughter to pass on to her friend. She does have a down payment and her credit score is around 550. She tried to get a car at a well-advertised dealer that claimed the could get financing for low credit scores. They put her in a $16,000 with a $1,500 down payment. She had it a month without hearing anything from them. She had it insured with the name of a supposed lien holder and everything, but she never received any paperwork or bill from the lien holder about when she was supposed to begin her payments. The dealer kept telling her that everything was fine but then started asking for additional copies of her check stubs and WC form. She provided everything to them, and then they told her the lienholder said the documents were fake, which was just unbelievable. They would not allow her to talk to anyone at the lienholder and would not tell her the name of the company. They just kept saying "the bank". She had to take the car back earlier this week and is now about to lose her job because she's having a had time getting to work.

She has got the names of several places that she will be looking tomorrow. I will proide an update when and if she gets a car.

Was this Rick Hendrick Chevy??

I understand that he is a one-man operation. He also blogs about cars on a national web site and has a few things going. He's a college grad and an entrepreneur as well.

The reality about one-man shows is that sometimes they are distracted as he obviously was. Throw in the fact that he may not be the best salesman - the best salesmen are ubber-attentive - and I suspect that you and he just didn't hit it off.

And Steve Lang, who is who this is, is not what I would call the best salesman. He's a nice-enough guy whom I think has one great skill that is very valuable for a low-end used car dealer to have. What is that skill? Frankly, I think he is a pretty savvy car buyer who buys the cars he has right and is pretty sure of their quality, given they tend to fall in the $2,500- $5,000 range.

In other words, when it comes to buying a decent, probably reliable ride knowing which six-to-ten year old models are basically 'more reliable' than others and being able to choose a 'good one' amongst those out there ... well that is a skill. I think he's probably pretty good at doing that kind of shopping; so good that is largely what he writes about.

And the car you may have called it a pimp ride was probably a good full-sized American car that was in above average condition and with probably above average reliability that would have been a solid and reliable car for the money. The people in the car business that I tend not to trust are those that 'have the hot' cars that sell at a premium more because of their style. These are the one's that have been wrecked and rebuilt, had the odometer turned back because their value inflates dramatically because of lower miles, may have been flooded and brought in from somewhere else ... were rental units ... but definitely wouldn't have been mistaken as a pimp car (Older Cadillac, Lincoln, Grand Marquis, Buick Roadmaster.)

Now that's not to say that he might not have an Accord, Suzuki, small Chevy, Dodge Intrepid or Infinity ... but that he looks and buys cars that he thinks are not ragged out or poised to break. I'm sure he's misjudged some - everyone in the used car business does - but he doesn't buy them if he thinks they may be a headache for the person he sells them to.

So, you're welcome to your opinion, but saying he's not a 'great' salesman and that he sometimes stock solid American iron is not a turnoff to me. He's someone who knows cars, tries his best to buy good ones and that is what I value.

I think Autohouse has the same attitude toward the cars they buy and are as smart about buying. I believe they also buy generally newer cars. I suspect they put more money into conditioning the cars they sell. Finally, I also think they're better salesmen and so they get the more for each car they sell because of that.

Bottom line, if the folks at Autohouse bought a car and checked the brakes and saw that the maybe had 2000 miles left on them, they'd just replace the pads. If GTA checked them and they were still performing well, they would let you know that they are fine now but you might need to have them checked in couple of months.

Similarly, if the last oil change was 2700 miles ago on a car, Autohouse might replace the fluids while GTA would leave the old sticker on and offer, a deal closer, to pay for the oil change.

I also bought a used car from Hardy a few years ago. They car was a late model, had a fresh oil change and when the power windows went out, they replaced the switch without question and with no questions asked.

To me they've all been honest folks dealing in a straightforward manner and all delivering on the promise you get what you pay for.

pubby

I understand that he is a one-man operation. He also blogs about cars on a national web site and has a few things going. He's a college grad and an entrepreneur as well.

The reality about one-man shows is that sometimes they are distracted as he obviously was. Throw in the fact that he may not be the best salesman - the best salesmen are ubber-attentive - and I suspect that you and he just didn't hit it off.

And Steve Lang, who is who this is, is not what I would call the best salesman. He's a nice-enough guy whom I think has one great skill that is very valuable for a low-end used car dealer to have. What is that skill? Frankly, I think he is a pretty savvy car buyer who buys the cars he has right and is pretty sure of their quality, given they tend to fall in the $2,500- $5,000 range.

In other words, when it comes to buying a decent, probably reliable ride knowing which six-to-ten year old models are basically 'more reliable' than others and being able to choose a 'good one' amongst those out there ... well that is a skill. I think he's probably pretty good at doing that kind of shopping; so good that is largely what he writes about.

And the car you may have called it a pimp ride was probably a good full-sized American car that was in above average condition and with probably above average reliability that would have been a solid and reliable car for the money. The people in the car business that I tend not to trust are those that 'have the hot' cars that sell at a premium more because of their style. These are the one's that have been wrecked and rebuilt, had the odometer turned back because their value inflates dramatically because of lower miles, may have been flooded and brought in from somewhere else ... were rental units ... but definitely wouldn't have been mistaken as a pimp car (Older Cadillac, Lincoln, Grand Marquis, Buick Roadmaster.)

Now that's not to say that he might not have an Accord, Suzuki, small Chevy, Dodge Intrepid or Infinity ... but that he looks and buys cars that he thinks are not ragged out or poised to break. I'm sure he's misjudged some - everyone in the used car business does - but he doesn't buy them if he thinks they may be a headache for the person he sells them to.

So, you're welcome to your opinion, but saying he's not a 'great' salesman and that he sometimes stock solid American iron is not a turnoff to me. He's someone who knows cars, tries his best to buy good ones and that is what I value.

I think Autohouse has the same attitude toward the cars they buy and are as smart about buying. I believe they also buy generally newer cars. I suspect they put more money into conditioning the cars they sell. Finally, I also think they're better salesmen and so they get the more for each car they sell because of that.

Bottom line, if the folks at Autohouse bought a car and checked the brakes and saw that the maybe had 2000 miles left on them, they'd just replace the pads. If GTA checked them and they were still performing well, they would let you know that they are fine now but you might need to have them checked in couple of months.

Similarly, if the last oil change was 2700 miles ago on a car, Autohouse might replace the fluids while GTA would leave the old sticker on and offer, a deal closer, to pay for the oil change.

I also bought a used car from Hardy a few years ago. They car was a late model, had a fresh oil change and when the power windows went out, they replaced the switch without question and with no questions asked.

To me they've all been honest folks dealing in a straightforward manner and all delivering on the promise you get what you pay for.

pubby

Yeah but sometimes you pay big and still get sideways. Live and learn.

Sorry, but I can't stay silent on this one.

The person who I believe this is referring to had only $400 to $500 to put down on a vehicle and wanted a Toyota or Honda.

There was a Toyota Tercel and a Suzuki Esteem that I had sold earlier that week. She also did call me beforehand, but did not show up in person until about four to five days later. By then both of those vehicles had sold and the only other $500 down vehicles I had were a 2002 Chrysler Town & Country and an older Cadillac Deville.

She does bring up one valid point. I am not there all the time. Between writing for Yahoo! Autos and balancing a lot of things that go well beyond the scope of work, I have to manage my time. Sitting at a car lot for hours on end is not a productive use of that time. Since I live only three miles away from the lot this is rarely an issue. However I do travel out of town sometimes (I was in Vegas this week racing an Audi R8 of all things) so I'm not always around.

PUBBY is right in that I provide Carfax reports on everything I sell and have absolutely no issue on having any vehicle looked at by an independent mechanic. In fact, I think that's the only intelligent way to buy any vehicle from any dealership or private individual anywhere.

In terms of industry experience, I have inspected, appraised and liquidated over 10,000 vehicles a year for Capital One Auto Finance for several years. Before that I was on the auction staff at about a half dozen auto auctions here in metro-Atlanta and I even managed to finish in the top 10 in the World Auctioneer Championship in the Ringman competition. To be frank, this business has been my life since 1999 and I wouldn't want to do anything else in terms of a career.

As for actual buyer satisfaction, I have achieved a perfect 100% positive feedback rating on Ebay and I have sold cars there since the early 2000's. Everything from an older Subaru I originally bought for $25 (which was bought by a Rally Coordinator from Subaru and driven all the way back to California) to older classic cars that have been shipped off to Europe, Africa and the Middle East.

Here's the Subaru story in case you're curious...

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/11/question-of-the-day-what-was-your-best-automotive-deal-ever/

The truth is that we all work hard in this business and try to focus on some unique niche of the market that best serves our talents. Some of us are strong on the buying end of the deal. Others are exceptional at reconditioning and repairs. Then there are those who have more extensive relationships with banks, credit unions and finance companies.

I like to think that where I excel is on the buying and pricing sides of the equation. My overhead is low and I have easily inspected over 50,000 vehicles in my lifetime. I know cars. If anyone wants to challenge that idea, or amuse themselves, they can feel free to google 'Steven Lang and cars'.

Thank you Pubby for defending me and I appreciate all of you who have read this far. All the best!

A good friend of my daughter's has had been through some really bad times financially. She has a decent job but not so good credit because of divorce and some other stuff. She is in desperate need of a car. She tried to get one through a normal dealer but that didn't work.

Does anyone know of any buy here-pay here lots that can be trusted? She's been through so much that I'd hate for her to get stuck with a lemon she won't have the money to get fixed.

I've seen some in Paulding, Douglas, and Cobb but I don't know the first thing about any of them.

A bigger question is can she be trusted?All that stuff going on in her life would make here the most likely to default. There is always two sides to the coin......

ote name='Steven Lang' timestamp='1364691495' post='3786453']

Sorry, but I can't stay silent on this one.

The person who I believe this is referring to had only $400 to $500 to put down on a vehicle and wanted a Toyota or Honda.

There was a Toyota Tercel and a Suzuki Esteem that I had sold earlier that week. She also did call me beforehand, but did not show up in person until about four to five days later. By then both of those vehicles had sold and the only other $500 down vehicles I had were a 2002 Chrysler Town & Country and an older Cadillac Deville.

She does bring up one valid point. I am not there all the time. Between writing for Yahoo! Autos and balancing a lot of things that go well beyond the scope of work, I have to manage my time. Sitting at a car lot for hours on end is not a productive use of that time. Since I live only three miles away from the lot this is rarely an issue. However I do travel out of town sometimes (I was in Vegas this week racing an Audi R8 of all things) so I'm not always around.

PUBBY is right in that I provide Carfax reports on everything I sell and have absolutely no issue on having any vehicle looked at by an independent mechanic. In fact, I think that's the only intelligent way to buy any vehicle from any dealership or private individual anywhere.

In terms of industry experience, I have inspected, appraised and liquidated over 10,000 vehicles a year for Capital One Auto Finance for several years. Before that I was on the auction staff at about a half dozen auto auctions here in metro-Atlanta and I even managed to finish in the top 10 in the World Auctioneer Championship in the Ringman competition. To be frank, this business has been my life since 1999 and I wouldn't want to do anything else in terms of a career.

As for actual buyer satisfaction, I have achieved a perfect 100% positive feedback rating on Ebay and I have sold cars there since the early 2000's. Everything from an older Subaru I originally bought for $25 (which was bought by a Rally Coordinator from Subaru and driven all the way back to California) to older classic cars that have been shipped off to Europe, Africa and the Middle East.

Here's the Subaru story in case you're curious...

http://www.thetrutha...tive-deal-ever/

The truth is that we all work hard in this business and try to focus on some unique niche of the market that best serves our talents. Some of us are strong on the buying end of the deal. Others are exceptional at reconditioning and repairs. Then there are those who have more extensive relationships with banks, credit unions and finance companies.

I like to think that where I excel is on the buying and pricing sides of the equation. My overhead is low and I have easily inspected over 50,000 vehicles in my lifetime. I know cars. If anyone wants to challenge that idea, or amuse themselves, they can feel free to google 'Steven Lang and cars'.

Thank you Pubby for defending me and I appreciate all of you who have read this far. All the best!

i tried him he was a no show on the day i told him i was coming said he forgot then showed up 20 mins later only to get on the phone and leave me standing there. he had said he has several cars in my price range but when i finally got to talk to him he had 1 pimp daddy car hid in the back he was trying to sell me. i would't tell anyone to buy a car there.

i had more than 4 to 5 hundred dollars to spend. and i was there the day and time i told you i would be. so sounds like iam not the only one that you left standing while you were on the phone! i am sure you maybe a nice guy but i would never send anyone to buy a car from you after the way i was treated!

Edited by Krazyboutcats