Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
glassdogs

Book Donation?

My wife has accumulated LOTS of books that need to find a new home. I mean LOTS and LOTS of them.

Topics are generally: decorating, cooking, health & wellness, dogs and dog training, and some political topics. In addition, I have some "Dummies-type" books on various software packages.

We just want to donate these to a good cause. Not interested in having a yard sale and having people pick through them, etc.

Ya'alls suggestions about who would accept the books and put the proceeds toward a good cause will be appreciated.

The local jails need books. I'm serious. Check with your area constable and see how the process for such a donation would work.

Im sure the local libraries would be interested also! I think they even take magazine donations?

There was a book store on main street in hiram that would probabaly like to have them?

I bet the Paulding Literacy Council could find homes for them. GED program may have need of them. GED classes are held at the old courthouse.

The local jails need books. I'm serious. Check with your area constable and see how the process for such a donation would work.

What a great idea! I'm pretty sure the thrift stores will take them as well.

Check senior centers as well.

Ooh, another good one.

• Like 1

The local jail has rules and regulations about who they can accept books from and what kinds of books. I would say they best thing to do is put them in any one of the many book donation bins around town.

The Book Shelter in Hiram will give you trade in credit for your books, but if they are how to books and the like you likely won't get much credit since those books don't sell well.

We've had several PM's wanting to get part of the books.

In a word, "NO". We are interested in making a charitable donation of all of them at one time. We have neither the time nor inclination to have people come and paw through the stacks and take one or two books.

Partly it is for tax deduction reasons, and mostly because we don't have time to hang around home waiting on someone who wants something for free and then takes their sweet time to show up and spend lots of time digging around.

In a word, "NO". We are interested in making a charitable donation of all of them at one time. We have neither the time nor inclination to have people come and paw through the stacks and take one or two books.

Partly it is for tax deduction reasons, and mostly because we don't have time to hang around home waiting on someone who wants something for free and then takes their sweet time to show up and spend lots of time digging around.

Then take them to Goodwill.

My mom had 50+ years of Literary Guild and Book of the month hardbacks. These were generally top 10 books, fiction or otherwise she chose to get rid of when she downsized from big house to small condo. These were Norman Mailer, Michener, Clancy, Ludlum, Uris, etc. And included most of the Pulitzer Prize winners since WWII.

We picked thru for any we wanted which we wanted to read, and donated the rest to the library here. They were very excited to get them as they could trade other libraries in the system on works which were duplicates.

It was somewhere around 550-600 books. I remember it was a full pick up truck load in heavy boxes.

And the library accomodated what we needed for an itemized useable receipt for Uncle Sam, which they accepted. Almost all of her books had a "from the library of Loraine Morrison" in the cover, and I have had several people ask me since then if the book they had checked out was my mothers!

Kidney Foundation or AADD (Americans with Developmental Disabilites) will come to your house and pick them up. They will leave a receipt. AADD phone # 404-761-6247.

I donate mine to Goodwill. I use

itsdeductible.com
to get the value for my taxes and get a great write-off for them. I recently cleaned out my attic and found a lot of mine and my daughters' college textbooks. They really get a good donation amount. I have two boxes in the back of my car right now that I will drop off next time I'm up by the Goodwill.