Paulding.com

Turnout at the July 31st Primary was very low  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Did you vote in the July 31 Primary?

• YES
    • NO
  2. 2. If you did vote, which party's ballot did you select?

• Republican
    • Democrat
    • Didn't vote
  3. 3. If you didn't vote, choose what motivations let you to choosing not to vote. (You may select more than one response)

• It was inconvenient to vote so I didn't
    • There was no one worth voting for
    • My vote doesn't count
    • All the negativity turned me off
    • No one deserved my vote
    • I didn't keep up with who was running and I didn't care
    • I'm an independent and don't vote in primaries
    • Other
    • I voted so I didn't select any other option
  4. 4. I voted and the main reason I did vote this year was ...

• to vote for a particular candidate in the District 31 Senate Race
    • to vote for a particular candidate in the District 19 House Race
    • to vote for a particular candidate for Commission Chairman
    • to vote for a particular candidate for Post Commission
    • to vote for a particular candidate for the Coroners race
    • to vote for a particular candidate for Magistrate Judge
    • to vote for a particular candidate for another state race
    • to vote for a particular candidate for another local race
    • to vote for or against the TSPLOST
    • to lend my support to a variety of candidates I favor
    • because it is my solemn civic duty.
    • I didn't vote ...
  5. 5. This was the primary, the general election for president is Nov. 6th

• I plan to vote in the general election on Nov. 6th
    • I plan to vote early for the November election
    • I plan to vote absentee (by mail) for the November election
    • I don't plan to vote in November
  6. 6. Do you plan to vote in the August 21st, Runoff Election

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know

Paulding ranked 149 out of Georgia's 159 counties in terms of people trekking to the polls July 31st.

Since voting seems a relatively low priority for a lot of residents, I'm curious why. Hence the poll.

I would also invite folks to express why they voted or didn't vote in Tuesday's election and predict whether they plan to vote in the August 21st Runoff and/or the November 6 general election date when voters select a president.

pubby

I voted because I don't think I have the right to complain if I don't. Also there are people that would love to have the chance to vote but can't because of where they live. I shouldn't take my right to vote for granted. The main issue for me though was the TSPLOST. I do my best to vote in all elections.

Pubby, I have always voted, and I am old. So it has been many years. I too, feel like you cannot complain if you don't vote. I can tell you I have been sick all day to think that a little over 17 thousand decided out fate in this election. I truly think the ones that didn't vote do not deserve anything better. It is a right and previledge, why don't

people take advantage of it. I bet if it was a free movie or ballgame they would go.

I voted, as always. My son voted for the first time last night and was very proud of himself! I was proud of him, too. They let me go to the booth with him to show him what to do in order to vote and it was all I could do to keep my mouth shut about some of his selections. But I did and then went and voted for who I wanted in office.

I have ALWAYS voted, even when I thought there was no one worth voting for.

I've never missed a local, state or national chance to vote.

I cast my first vote at the age of 18 for Richard Nixon.

I get so irritated when people don't take politicians and policies seriously. We send them to the county, state and DC level to do a job and we pay them to represent us, the people.

That's what's wrong now. People don't care. Only until we've had enough will people begin to get motivated and educate themselves on PACs, lobbyist, and the money these politicians are making hand over fist. Only when it begins to affect their quality of life will they take notice.

You can write off the welfare recipients, they will always vote Democratic as long as someone picks them up and takes them to the polls. They will always be good with being taken care of.

I heard of a couple of folks that had NEVER voted but they voted in this election. I couldn't imagine not ever voting.

I voted. First in line at my precinct. I vote because many brave Americans before me, now, and after I am gone have and will risk the ultimate sacrifice to give me the right to have my voice be heard. I can surely spend a few minutes of my day to pay them back for that. Also I agree with a few others that it also gives me the right to either complain when I do not like something our government does or give kudos when they do something worthy of thanks.

I voted and I feel it's a blessing and an honor to vote. One day I may not be able to so I plan on getting my vote in every chance I get...

Actually, we're doing a lot better than we used to in terms of the percentage of college educated.

Back in the days when growth first started, Paulding had the smallest percentage college educated of any metro county ... with college graduates right at 10 percent. Today (and pardon me not looking it up) we're younger - the youngest county in the metro - and the percentage of college graduates has topped 20 percent of the adult population.

Certainly, with our recent growth, this makes sense. What is harder to conjure is why Haralson and Polk, which demographically are more like the Paulding that was (lower level of educational attainment, age, etc.) had turnouts of 36 and 39 percent. Heck, both Clayton and Douglas counties, which are if anything a little less affluent than Paulding among more developed counties, also recorded higher levels of turnout.

pubby

IMO, it has nothing to do with literacy and everything to do with cynicism.

I think it has more to do with laziness and lack on interest. People cant pull themselves away from Tv,video games,cell phones, what have you. More people care about that twilight girl cheating on her boyfriend than care who will be their state representitive. They figure one vote wont change anything.

I worked at the Advanced Voting at the Crossroads Library. We had close to 600 people come into vote during the 5 days. I worked at one of the Precincts on Tuesday. This precinct had just under 5,000 registered voters. We had 557 who voted. That's really sad. With so many options to vote early, I can't understand why people didn't vote. The only reason I can come up with is they don't care!

HAHAAAA! @ the GOP votes from PC!!!:yahoo: WOOT! Although, I am a die hard Libertarian, I love to see a strong Republican vote!

NO NEW TAXES here in Lowndes County!!! So happy about that. NO to TSPLOST OVERWHELMINGLY.

I worked at the Advanced Voting at the Crossroads Library. We had close to 600 people come into vote during the 5 days. I worked at one of the Precincts on Tuesday. This precinct had just under 5,000 registered voters. We had 557 who voted. That's really sad. With so many options to vote early, I can't understand why people didn't vote. The only reason I can come up with is they don't care!

I urge the liberals to stay at home and watch infomercials and Mory while the rest of us vote.

I think it has more to do with laziness and lack on interest. People cant pull themselves away from Tv,video games,cell phones, what have you. More people care about that twilight girl cheating on her boyfriend than care who will be their state representitive. They figure one vote wont change anything.

The Kardashians are shopping and going out to eat.
  • Like 1

Honestly, I think the low voter turnout is due to everyone's disenchantment with the whole promise that our government representatives will look out for them. When, in reality, U.S. citizens feel that the only people its government figures look out for is themselves. No matter who seems to get in office, promises made during the campaign are all but forgotten because who, afterall, is going to hold their feet to the fire???

Everything nowadays has a reason why it cannot be accomplished and our government is so partisan now that if one side brings something up, the other side will shoot it down if for no other reason than the other side thought of it first. The majority of citizen's no longer feel that voting for any political figure is a worthwhile endeavor.

I voted. As a Republican, I voted for guns and God. Always do.

WHAT! SHOCKED! I could have swarn I was seeing things when I read this,

Voting is a privilege and not a right. Shame on you if you don't vote. Our precinct had under 600 voting out of 5,000. Pathetic since you can early vote and do an absentee ballot.

REMEMBER EARLY VOTING NEXT WEEK. VOTE EARLY AND OFTEN (Chicago method).

Will early voting be offered for the August 21st run off?