Paulding.com

Storm Shelter Installation

We have been blessed with some great customers this week in Paulding County. If anyone, especially those in a slab homes, are in need of a storm shelter quote please give us a call. We offer the highest quality steel shelters available. These shelters are located in your garage and only seconds away when you need them. All installs will be registered with Paulding Emergency Services. Here is a few pics from this weeks installs.

2012-03-16_17-03-29_298.jpg

2012-03-17_15-22-06_496.jpg

2012-03-17_15-22-32_225.jpg2011-10-26_14-21-34_746-1-1.jpg

2011-10-26_15-58-07_502-1.jpg

That'a pretty cool. I've always wondered with people who do have storm shelters in their garage or out in their yard, how do you get out if the house is on top of you? I saw on the weather channel about a tornado that ripped through a neighborhood and this lady went to her storm shelter in her yard and after the tornado passed, she couldn't get out because of the tree's and trash that was over the door. It took two days for someone to find her. This pre-teen that was with his father looking for people after the storm happened to hear her faint yell.

That'a pretty cool. I've always wondered with people who do have storm shelters in their garage or out in their yard, how do you get out if the house is on top of you? I saw on the weather channel about a tornado that ripped through a neighborhood and this lady went to her storm shelter in her yard and after the tornado passed, she couldn't get out because of the tree's and trash that was over the door. It took two days for someone to find her. This pre-teen that was with his father looking for people after the storm happened to hear her faint yell.

Thats a great point. This is the main reason we register each one with the local emergency services. In Paulding Co. we are supplying a picture and address of each install to the Sheriffs office. They are then setting it up in their system to alert any fire, rescue or police of a shelter at that address. Also, we install our shelter in the garage 12" inside the garage door. This allows the least amount of building material to come down on the shelter and also keeps your family 12" from safety. We offer a 7 ton hydralic jack that can lift the shelter lid up if there is a total collapse. One can also park a car over the shelter to allow the material to "tee pee" over the shelter allowing easy escape. Thank you for your response.

Thats a great point. This is the main reason we register each one with the local emergency services. In Paulding Co. we are supplying a picture and address of each install to the Sheriffs office. They are then setting it up in their system to alert any fire, rescue or police of a shelter at that address. Also, we install our shelter in the garage 12" inside the garage door. This allows the least amount of building material to come down on the shelter and also keeps your family 12" from safety. We offer a 7 ton hydralic jack that can lift the shelter lid up if there is a total collapse. One can also park a car over the shelter to allow the material to "tee pee" over the shelter allowing easy escape. Thank you for your response.

Thank you for replying, I just learned something interesting!

Have you ever installed one of these in a vertical concrete wall? The area under my front stoop has concrete walls on 4 sides with two of the walls exposed in my basement. It was backfilled and the porch slab was poured on the backfill.

In other words, I have an underground room on the other side of one of the walls in my basement, but it is full of dirt. I need a hole cut in the wall, the dirt removed and a steel door installed. Is this something you would be interested in pricing?

Thanks.

Just wondering ... we don't have a garage or carport - just a concrete parking pad beside our house. Can your shelters be installed under those?

Yes we install in patios, outside slabs, etc... The only difference is the actual shelter itself. Our "standard shelter" has a raised lid system for outdoor installs.(The flush fit model we install indoors are flush with the finished slab.) We then slope the concrete away from the lids to detour water also. We also provide a cover for them to insure you are the only one in there when you need it..lol. Here are a few pics of them. Thanks

top-left-under-accessories.jpg

under-shelter-dimension-5-feet-wide.jpg

2nd-row-under-old-man-going-into-cellar.jpg

I should have clarified. With the outer lid of the shelter towards the door , one can still acces the shelter with a car on top of it. This pic. is old and not the best example, but you can get the idea. Thank you for you question. I sometimes take it for granted everyone knows what I mean. It is great to have some feed back.

top-left-under-medium-standard-tornado-storm-shelter.jpg

Those look really neat!

How does the person who parks the car over the shelter get in with the rest of the family? :blink:

We would be glad to look at it for you. We offer steel storm/safe rooms and steel safe doors also . Just give us a call to schedule a free site visit and quote. Thank you.

Have you ever installed one of these in a vertical concrete wall? The area under my front stoop has concrete walls on 4 sides with two of the walls exposed in my basement. It was backfilled and the porch slab was poured on the backfill.

In other words, I have an underground room on the other side of one of the walls in my basement, but it is full of dirt. I need a hole cut in the wall, the dirt removed and a steel door installed. Is this something you would be interested in pricing?

Thanks.

And ventilation?

Lucky, I'm gonna have you sold on a unit before the night is over..lol.

Good point again. On the top of each unit is a vent. Inside the unit, from underneath the lid, we install a combo/vent light combo. It is battery powered and actually pulls air in and gives you some lighting. The lids are not extremely air tight but the fan does make a world of difference. Also, both of the lids can be removed from inside the units. Allowing for exiting from either end of the shelter. Here is a pic. of the vent/fan we supply with each unit.

2nd-row-right.jpg

I should have clarified. With the outer lid of the shelter towards the door , one can still acces the shelter with a car on top of it. This pic. is old and not the best example, but you can get the idea. Thank you for you question. I sometimes take it for granted everyone knows what I mean. It is great to have some feed back.

top-left-under-medium-standard-tornado-storm-shelter.jpg

Thanks! That makes sense.

We don't have a basement, and it's a concern for me when we have severe weather.

So, if the lids are "air tight", what happens if the batteries on the fan (s) run out? How many people fit in one? It doesn't look very big if you end up on an "extended stay" in there for a larger family (we have 6).

Interesting concept...

So, if the lids are "air tight", what happens if the batteries on the fan (s) run out? How many people fit in one? It doesn't look very big if you end up on an "extended stay" in there for a larger family (we have 6).

Interesting concept...

Thanks for your inquiry. The lids are not air tight. They actually roll on ball bearings to allow for very easy opening and closing. Here is a picture of the opening around the lids. Also, the average time by the N.O.A.A. to actually be in your shelter is ten minutes. If you imagine a storm moving 40 miles an hour it is over pretty quick. If you are in your shelter after that, you can rest easy knowing the first responders in your area are aware of your location.

2012-03-18_09-46-42_62.jpg

2012-03-18_09-46-51_577.jpg

We also have multiple sizes to choose from. Here is a pic of our largest shelter. It is marketed as a "14 average sized person model". I tell everyone it will hold 12 "real sized folks".

outsidejumbo.jpg

Yes we work all over the Georgia area. With the large amount of slab homes in Cobb coupled with the recent tornados, we are getting more calls from Cobb and Fulton County.

We would be glad to give you a free quote if needed. Thank You

WOW, this is awesome!!! Will you do work in Cobb County?

I need to talk to my Mom about this. She has no basement and gets in her hall closet during bad storms.

I will Pm you today with a ball park price. If installed in an out building, it must have a door way like a garage door. This is to get the shelter into the hole. They are all one piece except for the top lids. We can install them in crawl spaces and half basements, but only in new construction. Thanks

So, what would the cost be for one that would fit a family of 6 (plus a few animals :wacko: ). Could these be put in an outbuilding (with a concrete slab?)...or, would it be better to put them under the house/crawl space in dirt?