Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
ITMFA

Corporal Punishment or Abuse

So is this corporal punishment? Anyone remember when in '94 Michael Fay was going to be caned in Singapore? I wonder how this family court judge ruled in cases he presided.

**JUDGE USES HARSH LANGUAGE AND IT'S GRAPHIC IF YOU CHOOSE TO WATCH THE VIDEO**

http://news.yahoo.com/family-court-judge-caught-beating-ill-daughter-videotape-183647572.html

A Texas family law judge who was videotaped beating his cerebral-palsy-stricken daughter with a belt is being investigated today by police.

Judge William Adams, who has ruled on child abuse cases throughout his career, is seen in a webcam video from 2004 beating his daughter with a belt and cursing at her for close to 10 minutes. The daughter, Hillery Adams, secretely taped the encounter, but only recently uploaded it to YouTube and the social sharing site Reddit.

"Judge William Adams took a belt to his own teenage daughter as punishment for using the internet to acquire music and games that were unavailable for legal purchase at the time," Hillary Adams, now 23, wrote in the text accompanying the video.

Hillary Adams was 16 when the video was made, and, as a lifelong sufferer of cerebral palsy, said she had a passion for technology that her father detested. She said she received the beating for using her computer when she was forbidden from doing so.

**JUDGE USES HARSH LANGUAGE AND IT'S GRAPHIC IF YOU CHOOSE TO WATCH THE VIDEO**

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZNiIi3xSwA

Edited by COWA
  • Like 1

50 views and no comments? I'm all for "spare the rod" but considering what most 16 year olds get in trouble for, the punishment doesn't appear to fit the crime.

Classy. Hopefully taking this asshole down helps his daughter deal with what she's been through.

From the video:

"2004: Aransas County Court-At-Law Judge William Adams took a belt to his own teenage daughter as punishment for using the internet to acquire music and games that were unavailable for legal purchase at the time. She has had ataxic cerebral palsy from birth that led her to a passion for technology, which was strictly forbidden by her father's backwards views. The judge's wife was emotionally abused herself and was severely manipulated into assisting the beating and should not be blamed for any content in this video. The judge's wife has since left the marriage due to the abuse, which continues to this day, and has sincerely apologized and repented for her part and for allowing such a thing, long before this video was even revealed to exist. Judge William Adams is not fit to be anywhere near the law system if he can't even exercise fit judgement as a parent himself. Do not allow this man to ever be re-elected again. His "judgement" is a giant farce. Signed, Hillary Adams, his daughter."

mrnn

That made me cry. I hate that man and I don't even know him. And I don't give a damn how emotionally abused the mother was. A real mother protects her child, she doesn't join in and she doesn't go along with it. You get your child and you get out and never come back. And you put your SOB husband in jail.

That was way beyond coporal punishment and BOTH parents should have their asses beat!!! Abused or not, if someone beat my children that way he would not wake up the next morning. I would like to know what kind of punishment he gets. :angry2:

This is what he has to say about it:

The Adams family is yet to comment, but the 51-year-old judge told Corpus Christi television station KZTV the video "looks worse than it is'' and that he did not expect to be disciplined or punished.

"In my mind, I haven't done anything wrong other than discipline my child after she was caught stealing,'' Judge Adams said.

"And I did lose my temper, but I've since apologised.''

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/world/police-investigate-us-family-law-judge-william-adams-over-youtube-video-of-beating/story-e6frfkyi-1226184617113#ixzz1cgYyCDIU

Classy. Hopefully taking this asshole down helps his daughter deal with what she's been through.

From the video:

"2004: Aransas County Court-At-Law Judge William Adams took a belt to his own teenage daughter as punishment for using the internet to acquire music and games that were unavailable for legal purchase at the time. She has had ataxic cerebral palsy from birth that led her to a passion for technology, which was strictly forbidden by her father's backwards views. The judge's wife was emotionally abused herself and was severely manipulated into assisting the beating and should not be blamed for any content in this video. The judge's wife has since left the marriage due to the abuse, which continues to this day, and has sincerely apologized and repented for her part and for allowing such a thing, long before this video was even revealed to exist. Judge William Adams is not fit to be anywhere near the law system if he can't even exercise fit judgement as a parent himself. Do not allow this man to ever be re-elected again. His "judgement" is a giant farce. Signed, Hillary Adams, his daughter."

mrnn

I don't understand how the abuse has continued against the wife after she's left the marriage.... maybe the abuse against the daughter has continued? that's pretty sick, that the mother left the daughter with the father to continue to be abused. then again, at 23 years old, I wonder why the daughter hasn't left the relationship as well.

the guy's a dick, that's for sure!

• Like 1

I watched very little of the video, it upset me to much and I was afraid I would sling my phone across the room. Those people are a disgrace, I feel so bad for that young lady :angry2:

There is something that bothers me about this video....the minute her parents left her all crying stopped, within seconds even. I'm not excusing any of the behavior and I have a lot of empathy for the girl. We got the belt, and while we never got an actual punch or kick instead of a push or shove I would get scared enough when my dad was that angry that you'd wish he would hit you. That way you knew what was coming atleast. Instead of being so scared and not knowing if you were going to be hurt or just be yanked down the hallway to your bedroom while being screamed at in your face.

But then again, this girl has been through enough abuse that she knew to start recording it. I'm sure there are mental reasons why someone would stop crying suddenly like that. It is just one of those details that sticks out and bothers the hell out of you. While he may not be reelected I highly doubt the man will recieve any punishment...and even if he did it wouldn't matter. In his head what he did was right, and nothing is going to change his opinion on that. I think expecting him to do some sort of public apology or PC thing would be niave.

The article doesn't say if she downloaded any illegal music and games after the beating. I wonder if she ran up any $1000.00 texting bills too.

When I was growing up breaking the law or doing things that would financially compromise the family were serious offenses.

I can only imagine how vulnerable he must have felt that the computer in his home was being used to break the law.

These people worked all their lives to build a life for themselves and the privileges this young lady was obviously enjoying.

This was not good enough for her, she had to illegally download games and music to the computer compromising everything they had worked for.

I think she knew exactly what the consequences for getting caught breaking the law and disobeying her parents would be, she decided to turn that camera on to get at her dad for the spanking her.

This is not a case of my dad drinks, he is in a bad mood and he beats me.

She not only defied her parents, but compromised everyone's future in the household.

If she got caught I guess he could have ask some of his colleagues to to look the other way and smooth it over, he could pay the fine, or let her do jail time.

She broke the law and any way you look at it he had to do the time.

Personally I don't believe whippings accomplishment anything with kids, especially at that age.

Kids that grow up in homes where whippings are the punishment defy their parents with full knowledge that it is the consequence. It must of been worth it to her for illegal music and games.

Here is a link from the TV station in Texas that has been following the story.

http://www.kristv.com/full-coverage/video-claims-to-show-aransas-county-judge-hit-daughter/#fcanchor

Interesting ... including the timing by the now 23 year old.

But if you ever thought that Pcom was wild and wooly ... read this:

http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?t=134231

Oh, and the Judge referenced seemed to take part in the Internet melee :)

pubby

The article doesn't say if she downloaded any illegal music and games after the beating. I wonder if she ran up any $1000.00 texting bills too.

When I was growing up breaking the law or doing things that would financially compromise the family were serious offenses.

I can only imagine how vulnerable he must have felt that the computer in his home was being used to break the law.

These people worked all their lives to build a life for themselves and the privileges this young lady was obviously enjoying.

This was not good enough for her, she had to illegally download games and music to the computer compromising everything they had worked for.

I think she knew exactly what the consequences for getting caught breaking the law and disobeying her parents would be, she decided to turn that camera on to get at her dad for the spanking her.

This is not a case of my dad drinks, he is in a bad mood and he beats me.

She not only defied her parents, but compromised everyone's future in the household.

If she got caught I guess he could have ask some of his colleagues to to look the other way and smooth it over, he could pay the fine, or let her do jail time.

Personally I don't believe whippings accomplishment anything with kids, especially at that age.

Kids that grow up in homes where whippings are the punishment defy their parents with full knowledge that it is the consequence. It must of been worth it to her for illegal music and games.

I guess that was what was bothering me. She knew enough of what her punishment would be that she was ready to record it, and as soon as the parents left the hysterics stopped.

• Like 1

I guess that was what was bothering me. She knew enough of what her punishment would be that she was ready to record it, and as soon as the parents left the hysterics stopped.

I noticed that also, if you listen closely you will here her calmly tell him to stop or say that is enough.

I also noticed that she did not put her hands up in front of her face, abuse victims will almost always do this the minute someone raises a hand in their vicinity.

Corporal punishment is sometimes the only punishment people know to use and that is sad because this is what happens when they lose their temper.

All parents lose their temper, and all parents feel guilty when they do.

He was in control enough that he never struck anything but her legs, my gut tells me she knew he wouldn't not strike her anywhere else, she was not the least bit afraid when she turned around and told him to stop.

Had she gone to jail for breaking the law, they would not have cared what they did to her pretty little face or any other part of her for that matter.

In my opinion it does not matter whether she knew what the punishment would be. It does not matter what she did to derserve to get punished. It does not matter why she set up the video recorder. It also does not matter that a belt was used. I have no problem with spanking. I used it well when mine were young, but that was NOT a spanking. The force with which BOTH parents beat her along with the verbal abuse crossed the line from discipline to child abuse. In my opinion it was felony child abuse. Like many people with authoritarian jobs, this man seemed to think he was above the laws the he was to enforce. I hope that he finds that he isn ot above the crime and he is punished as anyone else who would beat their child like this.

• Like 4

In my opinion it does not matter whether she knew what the punishment would be. It does not matter what she did to derserve to get punished. It does not matter why she set up the video recorder. It also does not matter that a belt was used. I have no problem with spanking. I used it well when mine were young, but that was NOT a spanking. The force with which BOTH parents beat her along with the verbal abuse crossed the line from discipline to child abuse. In my opinion it was felony child abuse. Like many people with authoritarian jobs, this man seemed to think he was above the laws the he was to enforce. I hope that he finds that he isn ot above the crime and he is punished as anyone else who would beat their child like this.

I can't help but wonder why the daughter didn't use the video to get out of the abusive home years ago. There was also a sibling that she could have used the video to get away from the abuse.

Too much of it looks contrived to me from turning on the camera to waiting until now to publish the video.

I am in no way condoning what they did, because I believe that using corporal punishment as discipline leads to this type of situation where a parent can lose their temper and cross the line to abuse.

He is going to be punished, his career is over she chose to publish it when he was up for re-election.

She had a lot of years to share that video, maybe she wanted to wait until after daddy paid for her college.

I can't help but wonder why the daughter didn't use the video to get out of the abusive home years ago. There was also a sibling that she could have used the video to get away from the abuse.

Too much of it looks contrived to me from turning on the camera to waiting until now to publish the video.

I am in no way condoning what they did, because I believe that using corporal punishment as discipline leads to this type of situation where a parent can lose their temper and cross the line to abuse.

He is going to be punished, his career is over she chose to publish it when he was up for re-election.

She had a lot of years to share that video, maybe she wanted to wait until after daddy paid for her college.

When someone is in an abusive situation it is very hard for them to leave. I would assume as a child she it would have been even harder. Where would you go? I am sure that she thought if she posted it then that she would have been beaten even more.

I believe it was contrived. She knew what was going to happen because it had happened before. She probably thought that the video would be her key to getting out but it without the courage to post it, it didn't help.

Maybe as a 23 year old woman watching her once VERY abusive father ruling over family court was enough for her to get the courage. My guess is that it took being out of his house for a while and watching him continue to thrive in his job (which she knew was hypocritical) to piss her off enough to finally decide to put a stop to him.

• Like 1

It was corporal punishment. Nothing worse than what I received when I did something wrong.

Society has called this punishment abusive and over the line - and now look how depraved society is. I'm just saying...

When someone is in an abusive situation it is very hard for them to leave. I would assume as a child she it would have been even harder. Where would you go? I am sure that she thought if she posted it then that she would have been beaten even more.

I believe it was contrived. She knew what was going to happen because it had happened before. She probably thought that the video would be her key to getting out but it without the courage to post it, it didn't help.

Maybe as a 23 year old woman watching her once VERY abusive father ruling over family court was enough for her to get the courage. My guess is that it took being out of his house for a while and watching him continue to thrive in his job (which she knew was hypocritical) to piss her off enough to finally decide to put a stop to him.

According to his statement taking away her Mercedes and refusing to financially support her is what pissed her off. She also chose to live with him after he separated from her mother.

• Like 2

According to his statement taking away her Mercedes and refusing to financially support her is what pissed her off. She also chose to live with him after he separated from her mother.

I read that too, and you cold be right that she was posting out of spite. I still believe that what she got on that particular tape was more than discipline. Her father was like other abusers, he was reacting out of anger without considering the consequences.

I read this morning that the statute of limitations has run out so he will not be charged with child abuse, even thought the police spokesperson said that it clearly was abuse.

I am definitley no perfect parent and I think that the "no spanking movement" is in part the reason that the kids are so out of control these days. I spanked mine. Some folks would say that is abuse too. So I suppose it is all relative. To me though, this was abuse. I put some of the blame on her mother, even though she does not. I would never stand and watch my husband lose control like that. I would definitely not participate in the abuse. I would probably have ended up in jail for spouse abuse. :blush:

• Like 1

I'm now more astounded - people on this board are defending the guy after you clearly saw him swing that belt with full force and repeatedly hit that girl and the mother allowed it to happen. If you get hit enough, you learn how to internalize your emotions, that doesn't make the physical pain any less.

If what she did was so wrong, as a judge, why didn't he set a better example and call the sheriff and have her arrested - that would have sent a very strong message. If you want to discipline your child with a spanking, that's fine - I spank my child. BUT, when you get to the point where you are aggressively beating your child with a belt at full force and out of sheer anger - that is abuse, NOT DISCIPLINE.

Seriously, how many of you that see this guy's point would take a belt and beat your child like that? Anyone?????? :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

• Like 4

I read that too, and you cold be right that she was posting out of spite. I still believe that what she got on that particular tape was more than discipline. Her father was like other abusers, he was reacting out of anger without considering the consequences.

I read this morning that the statute of limitations has run out so he will not be charged with child abuse, even thought the police spokesperson said that it clearly was abuse.

I am definitley no perfect parent and I think that the "no spanking movement" is in part the reason that the kids are so out of control these days. I spanked mine. Some folks would say that is abuse too. So I suppose it is all relative. To me though, this was abuse. I put some of the blame on her mother, even though she does not. I would never stand and watch my husband lose control like that. I would definitely not participate in the abuse. I would probably have ended up in jail for spouse abuse. :blush:

I wonder if she waited until the statute of limitations was up to protect her mother from also being charged. The entire situation is dysfunctional.

It does make you wonder if this man should be judging other families in court.

That made me cry. I hate that man and I don't even know him. And I don't give a damn how emotionally abused the mother was. A real mother protects her child, she doesn't join in and she doesn't go along with it. You get your child and you get out and never come back. And you put your SOB husband in jail.

I agree with you 100%! Beat her into submission??? I can't stop crying.

There is something that bothers me about this video....the minute her parents left her all crying stopped, within seconds even. I'm not excusing any of the behavior and I have a lot of empathy for the girl. We got the belt, and while we never got an actual punch or kick instead of a push or shove I would get scared enough when my dad was that angry that you'd wish he would hit you. That way you knew what was coming atleast. Instead of being so scared and not knowing if you were going to be hurt or just be yanked down the hallway to your bedroom while being screamed at in your face.

But then again, this girl has been through enough abuse that she knew to start recording it. I'm sure there are mental reasons why someone would stop crying suddenly like that. It is just one of those details that sticks out and bothers the hell out of you. While he may not be reelected I highly doubt the man will recieve any punishment...and even if he did it wouldn't matter. In his head what he did was right, and nothing is going to change his opinion on that. I think expecting him to do some sort of public apology or PC thing would be niave.

I speak from experience on the crying part...my dad, who use to treat me the same way, would always tell me after a very short period of crying to shut the *$%# up or he'd do it again cause he was tired of hearing me cry. You kinda "train" yourself, so to speak, to turn off the tears before you get the snot beat out of you again...even though you are dying inside from the pain. :(

• Like 2

I can only imagine how vulnerable he must have felt that the computer in his home was being used to break the law.These people worked all their lives to build a life for themselves and the privileges this young lady was obviously enjoying.

This was not good enough for her, she had to illegally download games and music to the computer compromising everything they had worked for.I think she knew exactly what the consequences for getting caught breaking the law and disobeying her parents would be, she decided to turn that camera on to get at her dad for the spanking her.This is not a case of my dad drinks, he is in a bad mood and he beats me.

Am I missing something here? You stated the article doesn't say she broke the law and then went on several times about her breaking the law. Where does it say this???

You are dead on with this! Unless you have lived this situation you really don't understand...

I even went as far as telling my dad that I was calling the cops on him and have him locked up...his response..."you go ahead and do that because I'm not abusing you and when the cops leave I'll show you what abuse is!" In my 15 yr old mind if what I was getting was NOT abuse I didn't want to know what abuse was!!!

I also NEVER raised my hands to cover my face, EVER, I did use my hands to cover my legs because thars where the pain always had been. He would then grab my arms and them so tight I wore hand print bruises around my wrists to go along with the bulging, almost bleeding bruised whelps on my body from my lower back to mid calf! I lived her life...married before I was really ready just to get away from him...it's not as easy as some of you make it out to be...abusers have a way of manipulating you and your mind to think that what they are doing is acceptable. Especially when it's a parent who is supposed to love you and NEVER hurt you like that. I relived my childhood watching this video...it sent my anxiety through the roof! I felt every single hit with that belt, my ears burned at every cuss word she heard...flashbacks so to speak. The thing with my situation...he could have gotten ticked at a driver on 75 at 5 that morning and I got the snot beat outta me at 7 that night because I left the dishes in the dish drainer while I went to use the bathroom...yes it was over things that little...

If what she did was so wrong, as a judge, why didn't he set a better example and call the sheriff and have her arrested - that would have sent a very strong.

He probably didn't call the police because of how it would make him look as a parent :unsure: Wonder how that's working out for him :pardon:

He probably didn't call the police because of how it would make him look as a parent :unsure: Wonder how that's working out for him :pardon:

And she probably didn't call the police because he is a judge...

You are dead on with this! Unless you have lived this situation you really don't understand...

I even went as far as telling my dad that I was calling the cops on him and have him locked up...his response..."you go ahead and do that because I'm not abusing you and when the cops leave I'll show you what abuse is!" In my 15 yr old mind if what I was getting was NOT abuse I didn't want to know what abuse was!!!

I also NEVER raised my hands to cover my face, EVER, I did use my hands to cover my legs because thars where the pain always had been. He would then grab my arms and them so tight I wore hand print bruises around my wrists to go along with the bulging, almost bleeding bruised whelps on my body from my lower back to mid calf! I lived her life...married before I was really ready just to get away from him...it's not as easy as some of you make it out to be...abusers have a way of manipulating you and your mind to think that what they are doing is acceptable. Especially when it's a parent who is supposed to love you and NEVER hurt you like that. I relived my childhood watching this video...it sent my anxiety through the roof! I felt every single hit with that belt, my ears burned at every cuss word she heard...flashbacks so to speak. The thing with my situation...he could have gotten ticked at a driver on 75 at 5 that morning and I got the snot beat outta me at 7 that night because I left the dishes in the dish drainer while I went to use the bathroom...yes it was over things that little...

I am sorry that you had to live with that. But maybe your story will enlighten some of the people who are blaming the girl for her fathers actions. NOTHING she could have possibly done...and I mean NOTHING...makes the abuse that he gave her okay!!!! There are far better ways to handle everything. I know that he and his wife cannot be charged now, and that is probably part of the reason she waited to let the video out, but I am glad that he is paying for it professionally. No one will ever see him the way they did before this video.

i love it when folks think it's ok to blame the victim.

how come no one blamed Tyler Perry for waiting all those years to open his mouth?

ah crap, was that the race card you just played :rofl:

I totally agree with you about this. :( :angry2:

ah crap, was that the race card you just played :rofl:

I don't think so - think about it, most victims of abuse do not report it until they feel like they are in a position where they are protected from the abuser and are comfortable speaking out about it.

I don't think so - think about it, most victims of abuse do not report it until they feel like they are in a position where they are protected from the abuser and are comfortable speaking out about it.

I know it is just that whenever a person of color is mentioned here someone accuses someone of playing the race card. I was just messing with NC.

I know it is just that whenever a person of color is mentioned here someone accuses someone of playing the race card. I was just messing with NC.

you know me too well.....:wub: