Paulding.com

Many insurance companies will not insure a home with an unfenced pool - although they have made exceptions for homes that are not accessible to non-residents or guests. You'd be surprised how many people are annoyed by this rule, especially if their pool is above-ground.

I don't understand why anyone would not teach their children to swim at the earliest age possible if there is a body of water of any kind adjacent to their home...

Many insurance companies will not insure a home with an unfenced pool - although they have made exceptions for homes that are not accessible to non-residents or guests. You'd be surprised how many people are annoyed by this rule, especially if their pool is above-ground.

I don't understand why anyone would not teach their children to swim at the earliest age possible if there is a body of water of any kind adjacent to their home...

when we had our above ground pool we had to put a fence around it with a gate that we could lock in order for our insurance to cover the pool.

my prayers are for this child and his parents

The news showed a video when they reported on this and the pool looked to be an above ground inflatable pool and there looked to be a chain link fence around the property as well as a dog within the fence.

Now if that was a video of the yard where the incident occurred I don't know....

While this call underlines the safety aspect of owning a pool I think it is also important to be trained in basic first aid and adult/child/infant CPR. While the dispatcher is trained to assist someone "get started" that does take time and the dispatcher does not know if the person is being effective and following instructions properly. Who knows if another minute or so might have made a difference for this boy. My guess is he had an anoxic brain injury and was pulled off of the life support.

I moved into my house with an above ground pool before my grandson was born-still, a few months later he was born and living with us soon after that. I was terrified and was going to take down the pool, but grandpa said "don't worry, I'll teach him to swim" Two locking gates, several special locks, and every manner of early warning system later, summer came, and true to his word, grandpa got him into the pool and in no time he was swimming. Still, I shudder to think of the consequences of a neighbors kid wandering in when I forget to pull the gate shut! This is a sad lesson for us all-we can't be to careful! Please everyone, protect the children around you-lock the gate. I do keep my dogs out there most of the time, and when my littlest dog fell in, they barked their heads off to alert me. thank God for that., or he would have drowned. He is the one I could't teach to climb up the ladder.