Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
ANG

Verizon or AT&T?

Verizon or AT&T?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who will you choose?

2. 2. Which has the better iphone?

I have Verizon and hubby has AT&T...we both have the iPhone. The biggest difference is that with AT&T you can surf the web and talk on the phone at the same time.....with verizon you cannot. You can do everything else but that.

I have Verizon and hubby has AT&T...we both have the iPhone. The biggest difference is that with AT&T you can surf the web and talk on the phone at the same time.....with verizon you cannot. You can do everything else but that.

I did not know that. That makes a huge difference to me. Thanks

Yes, if you MUST be able to access the internet while on a phone call with someone you have no choice but to go with AT&T. Verizon works off a CDMA network which does not allow that.....the only exception is if you are on a wi-fi network. This is not a big deal to me, but is for hubby...that is why he stays with AT&T (buisness) otherwise he would have come to verizon..... they have better connection, speed, and overall better service. I will say I have never had a problem with verizon.

Edited by jmt&babyg

Both good.

Verizon has the edge in coverage from a nation wide standpoint. But AT&T seems to do better in Paulding.

AT&T uses a GSM network that is superior to the CDMA system that Verizon uses. GSM is used in most other developed countries, and T-Mobile (which AT&T is buying) uses the same type of system. Voice quality is a little better than Verizon and the multi-tasking benefits mentioned above.

AT&T's customer service can be a pain.

Because they use GSM, AT&T uses the sim cards that transfer from phone to phone.

AT&T seems to have faster data rates.

I give the edge to AT&T.

We had AT&T for years and years down in GA...but they didn't have coverage up here. So we changed to Verizon. Both are good.

One disadvantage to changing to Verizon was that all my family has AT&T and so our free calling to them went away...but we don't use our cells for much .... so it isn't sooo bad.

I have the opposite story. We had AT&T for over eight years, and now that we have Verizon, we've never been happier. The coverage is better, the price is better, and the customer service is better. I'm very happy we switched! I have an older slider version of the Droid, and I can surf the web and talk at the same time....maybe it's based on what type of signal I have when I'm doing that? I'm not sure, but I've done it before. Good luck in your search!

Don't know about iphone but I have had AT&T for 6 years and never really had any issues. Coverage seems to be as good as anyone else but your mileage might vary.

Of course the only reason I have AT&T is because I get a bigger company discount then with the others. 8)

I couldn't vote because I don't own an iPhone but, I'd choose Verizon over AT & T "anyday"!!!!!!!! I have to stay with AT & T for our home service because it's the ONLY phone company that will work with our alarm system. Although I am looking into a new Verizon phone, it won't be the iPhone, either. I'm not going to pay another "data" package charge.

Verizon has the best cellular technology. Can't comment on the iPhone - IMHO just hype.

Freebird you might want to look into that statement. They have a very antiquated technology that in 3G runs about 1/3rd the speed of AT&T's GSM 3g. Now if you are talking about LTE 4G, they you are absolutely correct. The only problem with that is the chips for 4G are complete battery hogs. They cut your battery life in half with the current technology. Apple stated that is why they have not adopted it yet, as it is only in certain cities, and they dont want people to have to carry a charger around them even for minimal use.

It all comes down to the tradeoffs. AT&T is faster and has the much better iPhone. Verizon has more coverage in rural America and is more stable, but on the iPhone and other 3G devices quite a bit slower.

I've done extensive research about which cell provider has the best coverage, the best price, etc. After all my research I have come to the conclusion that the differences between them is so minimal that it isn't worth debating. NONE of them have good coverage at my house, but all have fairly good coverage up and down I-85 where I travel a good deal, dead spots in northern Florida and then good coverage where we go in Florida. T-Mobile seems to have more consistent coverage at my house but it is no better than the others--just that it is more often 1 or 2 bars and less often no bars.

Prices are pretty much the same. Phones ARE the same for the most part. What makes or breaks a phone is the manufacturer more than the cell phone company. Hubby has a Nexus phone. It works great whether it is on AT&T or T-Mobile. It would probably work just as well on Verizon or Sprint. My little cheap $20 Samsung works great but no better than the free LG I had with AT&T. In fact, I think the LG phone is a better phone but I liked my old Samsung so well I wanted another one from them. I really hated to pay $20 for the new phone, too. I had never paid for a cell phone before.

T-Mobile in store customer service sucks. I hope to NEVER darken their doors again. Their live customer service reps on the phone were awesome!

AT&T--well, let's just say that if I had a choice in another provider for our landline, they wouldn't be our provider. I had to call them yesterday about our phone bill (they "decided" we wanted a long distance carrier and added one). I couldn't believe they had the gall to try to upsell me a package WITH unlimited long distance when I called to have them remove the one they put on there! I told him we never made long distance calls. And we don't. We get a number of long distance calls but may make one a year. That's what a cell phone is used for. :pardon:

AT & T customer service is the "pitts", land line and cellular!!

I just debated this issue for myself this week. I had been a long time customer of AT&T, but I decided to switch to Verizon. If you are interested in a data plan for the phone, keep in mind Verizon has an unlimited plan and AT&T does not. I bought a new smartphone with AT&T last Thursday and took the 2GB data plan w/ it. Customer service at AT&T assured me that there was no way I would use more than that when it came to the data plan. Huh, after 3 days I had already exceeded my limit and they tack on a $10.00 charge for every G you go over. Now I am not that tech savvy, so I wasn't streaming video nor was on the internet for hours. I'm a very lite user just checking email and facebook with my phone. The phone I purchased had a bunch of excess apps playing in the background that could not be disabled even w/ the app killer, so it was constantly running up my data usage. I went to AT&T for help and they were useless. They couldn't figure out what was going on with my phone nor did they care to find out.After the rude and less than helpful attitude I received at AT&T, I decided to checkout Verizon and switched services. I decided to go with the Thunderbolt, which has been awesome. I can talk and surf at the same time, the speed is great, and it's been very reliable and customer service has been great. I'm not looking back.

Wineguy, CDMA cellular technology is far superior than GSM. That is my statement - nothing to do with data speeds. The bottom line is if you are in the bottom of a parking garage, on the 30th floor, or in low terrain, CDMA will give you better coverage. A "cell phone" is normally used for talking, although they are becoming "do all" devices.

Wineguy, CDMA cellular technology is far superior than GSM. That is my statement - nothing to do with data speeds. The bottom line is if you are in the bottom of a parking garage, on the 30th floor, or in low terrain, CDMA will give you better coverage. A "cell phone" is normally used for talking, although they are becoming "do all" devices.

I would say it depends on the person. My cell phone is used probably less than 5-10% for talking. All I need is reliable text and data. Even for work they prefer our communication be by email on our phones if possible as it is trackable. That is my basis of comparison. I feel it is inaccurate to compare based on talk quality alone anymore.

My parents have at&t and are very frustrated. Once the iphone came out - their service hasn't gotten worse and worse as more iphones and ipads have come on line. There's only so much bandwidth and the ip*** folks are taking alot of it up.

My parents have at&t and are very frustrated. Once the iphone came out - their service hasn't gotten worse and worse as more iphones and ipads have come on line. There's only so much bandwidth and the ip*** folks are taking alot of it up.

Tell them I said thank you. It has made my life much easier. lol. I am seriously kidding. I do understand though. As soon as the T-Mobile purchase is complete it should take a large load off of the network.

I personally think Verizon is much better overall. On paper AT&T is supposed to be better, but from personal experience Verizon has beat AT&T out 90% of the time. Again, hubby has AT&T and I have Verizon. Whenever we go places we rely on my phone b/c his usually does not work. He gets dropped calls quit a bit.....more than I do (I can't even remember the last time I had a dropped call either) If he has no service, 99% of the time mine does. We travel a bit too.... North GA, South GA, Illiniois, Florida, and a lot of camping. I have never had an issue not getting service. The other day we were at the Dr office trying to look something up on the internet and his was going so slow. I pulled my phone out and had the page up with the info we were looking for before he ever got the page loaded. We just tested it again the other day at home. We both entered the same website in our phones and hit send at the same time and mine had loaded the page much faster than his phone. Everything says that AT&T has the better coverage and faster downloads, but that is if you can get the coverage. Hubby tried to get me for years to go to AT&T for the iphone and I refused b/c how much more reliable Verizon is. I have never had a problem with them and I have been with them for 15+ years. Yes, Verizon has the unlimited web which is a major plus for me.... I don't like worrying of I am gonna go over my plan. I have the unlimited everything.....there are no surprises for me.

If for some reason I felt like I HAD to have an iPhone (and I don't), then I would wait for the iPhone 5 due out in late Summer and go with Verizon. Supposedly the "data and talk at the same time" issue will be solved on version 5.

If I didn't have to be the trendiest person, I'd go with Straight Talk at $45 a month (unlimited data/talk/text/411) and use their (link): Nokia Smart Phone which uses AT&T but is rated at having a good antennae in it and good reception.

Edited by greg30127

Hands down VERIZON. Their customer service and coverage is the best. We've had Verizon for all but 2 of the past 10 years when I bought my husband the first camera phone which at the time was not available through Verizon. We almost immediately started counting down the days till we could switch back.

I don't have a I-phone and it wasn't going to let me cast my verizon vote unless I voted on the I-phone as well so I did. Just wanted to let you know.

With the Droids you can talk and surf the web at the same time.

Really? I just tried that and mine wont.

Oh Wait, I'm on Verizon which you cant do both at the same time.

CDMA technology cant do talk and surf at the same time.

As to the comments about Verizon having better customer service than AT&T.

In the year I have been with Verizon I see there customer service to be the same as AT&T.

5 calls about the same phone with the same problem and never resolved.

Phone calls have been more reliable on Verizon, but the slow data speeds is annoying

GMS is superior to CDMA. In that, AT&T wins. Ironically, this is why Verizon has slightly better coverage on a nationwide basis than AT&T; AT&T switched over a few years back and had to rebuild their network for the newer system. But sticking with the older technology will bite Verizon in the butt within the next few years

Verizon has somewhat better coverage on a nationwide basis

AT&T has better sound quality and much faster data speeds.

AT&T's billing and customer service has gone to crap. If we didn't have a corporate rep who bends over backwards for us, I'm not sure we'd still use them.

AT&T has the sim cards that can be interchanged between most of their phones. That is a plus to me.

Though their overall coverage is better; there are parts of Paulding where Verizon is worthless. AT&T actually has better coverage in Paulding, partly because of roaming on other GSM towers.

Bottom line...go with whichever one works best at the places you need it to.

I surf the web and talk on my HTC Thunderbolt with Verizon. I wonder why the Iphone is like that? Although that being said... I wont own another apple phone or Mac after owning the Droids. They are superior in many ways, including the music options where i pay absolutely nothing for my downloads and have FREE Google turn by turn directions with a Photo of the building or home that i am driving too so that i recognize it when i get there. Droids are definitely the way to go. My extended battery gives me ALL DAY phone usage from 5am-10pm. Its awesome.

LOL.... It is funny that you say that about the Droids. My hubby is a bit of a electronics junky when it comes to new ipads, phones and tablets. We are apple computer users for sure.... I love the imac..... BUT..... you are 100% correct on droid having everything for free... That is the one thing that frustrates me about apple.... you have to pay for just about EVERYTHING. Although hubby is a apple lover, he still won't give up the Droid Tablet b/c of the Google maps....... they have the best directions out there!

Apple and Droid just run off different operating systems.

I surf the web and talk on my HTC Thunderbolt with Verizon. I wonder why the Iphone is like that? Although that being said... I wont own another apple phone or Mac after owning the Droids. They are superior in many ways, including the music options where i pay absolutely nothing for my downloads and have FREE Google turn by turn directions with a Photo of the building or home that i am driving too so that i recognize it when i get there. Droids are definitely the way to go. My extended battery gives me ALL DAY phone usage from 5am-10pm. Its awesome.

One disadvantage to changing to Verizon was that all my family has AT&T and so our free calling to them went away...but we don't use our cells for much .... so it isn't sooo bad.

Unless you have unlimited calling, you can put up to 10 numbers on Friends & Family. Landline or cell. Calls to those numbers are free.

Edited by fastpitchmom

I LOVE at&t, too!! I have never had a problem with customer service or cell service. I love my HTC Inspire phone and would chose it over an iPhone any day!!

What other GSM carriers are they roaming on?

GMS is superior to CDMA. In that, AT&T wins. Ironically, this is why Verizon has slightly better coverage on a nationwide basis than AT&T; AT&T switched over a few years back and had to rebuild their network for the newer system. But sticking with the older technology will bite Verizon in the butt within the next few years

Verizon has somewhat better coverage on a nationwide basis

AT&T has better sound quality and much faster data speeds.

AT&T's billing and customer service has gone to crap. If we didn't have a corporate rep who bends over backwards for us, I'm not sure we'd still use them.

AT&T has the sim cards that can be interchanged between most of their phones. That is a plus to me.

Though their overall coverage is better; there are parts of Paulding where Verizon is worthless. AT&T actually has better coverage in Paulding, partly because of roaming on other GSM towers.

Bottom line...go with whichever one works best at the places you need it to.

neither. I switched to StraightTalk and am using my Iphone with it. They use ATT's system. $45 a month unlimited everything. No complaints.

OK FOLKS......................... I did NOT read (My mistake!! :pardon: ) the date, of the post prior to my post at 9:10 am (post 25) and this IS a perfect example as to why the poll threads need to be "locked" at a specific time frame, from the date it was created. This would eliminate the POLL TROLLS from bringing up old threads!!!!!!!!! What would you say Pubby???? can you give it a thought, I know we've discussed this before but, I truly forgot what you said about it. Please enlighten me. I ~know~ I need to check out the thread before leaving a new post but, there needs to be a deadline of some sort. Sorry for "restarting" an old thread. :pardon:

AT & T customer service is the "pitts", land line and cellular!!

YEP. AT&T is atrocious!! I've never had a good experience with them..EVER!!

We dropped Comcast recently for AT&T DSL and just an antenna for TV. Well. I setup AT&T DSL and home phone and everything was fine for like 3 weeks. Then all of a sudden I woke up and my services were off. Phone was off, DSL was off. After 3 phone calls to AT&T and 2 chat sessions I still have no idea WHY my service was turned off. Their reps are utterly useless and know nothing. I never got a bill so it wasnt because of nonpayment. Needless to say Im back with Comcast. Comcast came out less than 48 hrs after we called and installed all our services.

Edited by Jaydensmommy

neither. I switched to StraightTalk and am using my Iphone with it. They use ATT's system. $45 a month unlimited everything. No complaints.

how? I would LOVE to do this....please message me how you got ur I phone to work w/ them, would LOVE to do it with mine

What other GSM carriers are they roaming on?

T Mobile, until they merge