Paulding.com

Glenn Richardson to resign as speaker January 1st

House Speaker Glenn Richardson Resigns

Updated: Thursday, 03 Dec 2009, 4:26 PM EST

Published : Thursday, 03 Dec 2009, 4:26 PM EST

ATLANTA (MyFOX ATLANTA) - Embattled Georgia House Speaker Glenn Richardson announced his resignation Thursday afternoon. The announcement came after several top Georgia politicians asked Richardson to step down in light of allegations made by his ex-wife that he had an affair with a former lobbyist.

STORY HERE

Speaker of the House Glenn Richardson to resign effective January 1st

Here is his statement:

“Effective January 1, 2010, I will resign my position as Speaker of the Georgia House of Representatives and as state Representative for the 19th District in Paulding County.

It has been an honor to serve the citizens of Paulding County as their Representative for 14 years and as Speaker of the Georgia House of Representatives for the last five years. During this time, I have appreciated working with the members of the House and the people of Georgia to keep state government efficient and ensure a low tax burden for our fellow Georgians.

As Speaker, I have been well served by the entire staff of the House of Representatives, especially the staff in the Speaker’s Office. To each of them I offer my profound thanks for their tireless efforts. And to my many friends and supporters throughout the state, thank you for standing by me even in the most difficult times. My service would not have been possible without you.

I am confident that House Leadership will continue to lead the House and its members as they serve all Georgians to the best of their abilities.

I recently made public that I have suffered from depression for many years. I continue to seek treatment and have made progress in dealing with this disease. In making this public disclosure, it was my hope to raise awareness and encourage others who suffer from this disease to come forward and seek treatment. I fear that the media attention of this week has deflected this message and done harm to many people who suffer from this condition.

I am thankful for the opportunities my service afforded me to make Georgia’s future brighter. Though I will no longer be serving in elected office, my commitment to see a better tomorrow for our state remains. As always, I am confident that Georgia’s best days are still ahead.”

I told him 3 days ago it was GOING to happen...Funny but every single thing I have given him has ALWAYS been factual...but Noooooo he always holds onto that "power" of tree hugger with hope...LMAO!!!

He does love his trees........ :rofl:

I BEAT YOU TO IT.

FOX5 ANNOUNCED IT ON TV...........

And I told him so 3 days ago...my "sources" are always better than his "sources"...Pubby when you want to put me on your payroll,,,,LMAO!!!

Glenn Has done the right thing with his resignation...I hope he can find peace in his life and recover in his personal life...I do hope Susan and his Children work thru all the tough times still to come.

Edited by KenBall

yes, I heard the news as well ..... resigning as speaker, not necessarily his seat.

You might want to re-read Glenn's Press Release and News Report...He is officially resigning as Speaker and resigning his seat.

Edited by KenBall

yes, I heard the news as well ..... resigning as speaker, not necessarily his seat.

Here is the quote from his statement:

“Effective January 1, 2010, I will resign my position as Speaker of the Georgia House of Representatives and as state Representative for the 19th District in Paulding County.

/quote]

Speaker and the 19th District Seat

And I told him so 3 days ago...my "sources" are always better than his "sources"...Pubby when you want to put me on your payroll,,,,LMAO!!!

Glenn Has done the right thing with his resignation...I hope he can find peace in his life and recover in his personal life...I do hope Susan and his Children work thru all the tough times still to come.

Ken:

I understand and do empathize with both he and his family. I simply thought that the GOP leadership, which knew all this anyway (the ethics issues) and stood behind him would continue to do so. I mean the only thing that really changed was that the public became acutely aware.

I.e. it really didn't seem to me that he had done anything other than become depressed and had an episode of bad judgment (the suicide attempt and the actions surrounding that.) Heck, I figured if they'd back him through the affair and divorce, they would not have the gumption to kick him out because of his depression.

I guess I'm just not cynical enough :) ... and I guess as as member of law enforcement, you are cynical enough :)

pubby

Ken:

I understand and do empathize with both he and his family. I simply thought that the GOP leadership, which knew all this anyway (the ethics issues) and stood behind him would continue to do so. I mean the only thing that really changed was that the public became acutely aware. of his personality defect? of him boping the AGL lobbyist while trying to get her bill passed? of the 49 printed text messages containing threats of bodily harm to his ex-wife?

I.e. it really didn't seem to me that he had done anything other than become depressed and had an episode of bad judgment (the suicide attempt and the actions surrounding that.) Heck, I figured if they'd back him through the affair and divorce, they would not have the gumption to kick him out because of his depression. I don't think that was it

I guess I'm just not cynical enough :) ... and I guess as as member of law enforcement, you are cynical enough :)

pubby

Are you serious?

.................let me go find a tree.

You might want to re-read Glenn's Press Release and News Report...He is officially resigning as Speaker and resigning his seat.

Here is the quote from his statement:

"Effective January 1, 2010, I will resign my position as Speaker of the Georgia House of Representatives and as state Representative for the 19th District in Paulding County.

/quote]

Speaker and the 19th District Seat

The early report I heard didn't have this information, I've since heard additional information.

Thanks.

I agree with you and I hope they all find peace. He did the right thing for all concerned.

Ken:

I understand and do empathize with both he and his family. I simply thought that the GOP leadership, which knew all this anyway (the ethics issues) and stood behind him would continue to do so. I mean the only thing that really changed was that the public became acutely aware.

I.e. it really didn't seem to me that he had done anything other than become depressed and had an episode of bad judgment (the suicide attempt and the actions surrounding that.) Heck, I figured if they'd back him through the affair and divorce, they would not have the gumption to kick him out because of his depression.

pubby

Sorry but it has absouletly nothing to do with being "cynical"....it has all the world to do with "law enforcement sources" and having the investigative background as a member of law enforcement to "get the facts"...Not once has any of the information I have ever given you not come to be true or factual in the end...actually I was poking fun at you but,,,,well I will just leave my "cynical" thoughts about "reporting with your heart" instead of trusting LE sources...hmmm might be why the "fox news" reporting style gets those rambling comments you often have going.

As well I have posted I too empathize with Glenn and his family on the personal side but I will never empathize with his political side...He chose the office, he chose to become a public figure and abused it, and then chose the path he took with the tactics he used and lifestyle after always preaching family values, morals, etc...He chose to cause his own downfall in his political life and he is done...Again I do hope he can find peace in his personal life but that too will be his choice.

Are you serious?

.................let me go find a tree.

Careful LR he is a big guy and might hurt you as he falls out on you!

Edited by KenBall

Sorry - my apologies for the errant presumption. Jughead is a name I associate with a male cartoon character, so I thought you were alluding to that with your screen name. Again, my apologies.

The good news, of course, is that what you wrote now sounds like someone with a heterosexual crush on me and everything I post. ;) xxxooo

Sorry - my apologies for the errant presumption. Jughead is a name I associate with a male cartoon character, so I thought you were alluding to that with your screen name. Again, my apologies.

The good news, of course, is that what you wrote now sounds like someone with a heterosexual crush on me and everything I post. ;) xxxooo

Myhusband created the account. Thus, the name. Not a crush at all, though I do enjoy the orgasmic laugh from reading the non-sense which you post. The lust for laughter is too great to ignore so I thank you for the affair. Off to carry the oldest to basketball.

[quote name='KenBall' date='03 December 2009 - 04:40 PM' timestamp='1259876450' post='3006703']

can your sources tell me if I am ever gonna win the lottery? LOL

[quote name='KenBall' date='03 December 2009 - 04:40 PM' timestamp='1259876450' post='3006703']

If sources had that kind of info I would be on an island I owned and invisable, LOL

If sources had that kind of info I would be on an island I owned and invisable, LOL

Ken might have those powers he won a brand new harley davidson last year

the lucky ass lol

oh and stay home so i can win that vintage triumph this year

Ken might have those powers he won a brand new harley davidson last year

the lucky ass lol

oh and stay home so i can win that vintage triumph this year

LOL Yea I did win the Big New HOG!!!

MsJH - just as long as you keep reading.

Meanwhile - I still pray that everyone directly involved is able to get to a new, better place in their lives... and that the schadenfreude winds down. It seems clear that the instinct to snark and snipe will easily find another target. Guess everyone needs a hobby! ;)