Paulding.com

GA Supreme Court Announces Religious Head Coverings Will Be Allowed in Court Room

On Friday, the GA Supreme Court announced that all courts in the state will now permit head coverings for religious or medical reasons to be worn in court rooms. (See press release.) This policy change came in response to last year's kerfuffle in Douglas County where a Muslim woman was not allowed to wear her head covering inside the court room & was arrested for causing a "disturbance" while arguing her rights were violated. She was subsequently released & charges were dropped. (See AP news article.)

The new rule issued by the GA Supreme Court says:

Head coverings are prohibited from the courtroom except in cases where the covering is worn for medical or religious reasons. To the extent security requires a search of a person wearing a head covering for medical or religious reasons, the individual has the option of having the inspection performed by a same-sex officer in a private area. The individual is allowed to put his or her own head covering back on after the inspection is complete.

Here are some old pcom threads about this. Very interesting to re-read some of the comments back then.

Link #1

Link #2

Link #3

Link #4

Link #5

This is part of the article and I think this solution was suggested in the discussions on P.com:

The Judicial Council of Georgia voted unanimously this week to allow religious and medical headgear into Georgia courtrooms. It also allows a person to request a private inspection if a security officer wants to conduct a search.

I don't see this as a shift. I see it as clarification. A search can be done and it should be done in private. JMO

On Friday, the GA Supreme Court announced that all courts in the state will now permit head coverings for religious or medical reasons to be worn in court rooms. (See press release.) This policy change came in response in response to last year's kerfuffle in Douglas County where a Muslim woman was not allowed to wear her head covering inside the court room & was arrested for causing a "disturbance" while arguing her rights were violated. She was subesequently released & charges were dropped. (See AP news article.)

Here are some old pcom threads about this. Very interesting to re-read some of the comments back then.

Link #1

Link #2

Link #3

Link #4

Link #5

Hey TBAR! I started to post this but I wanted to see if you would. I won the bet with myself! :lol:

This is part of the article and I think this solution was suggested in the discussions on P.com:

The Judicial Council of Georgia voted unanimously this week to allow religious and medical headgear into Georgia courtrooms. It also allows a person to request a private inspection if a security officer wants to conduct a search.

I don't see this as a shift. I see it as clarification. A search can be done and it should be done in private. JMO

I agree...

I am not a cop or other ..... but this is a dangerous idea. What about a defendant facing his accuser....

Can the accused convert then hide behind a burka? Can they wear a burka in a line up? all accused?

I can see a sudden change of religion where a line up is the only way to ID a person.... Line ups just went out the window...

I am not a cop or other ..... but this is a dangerous idea. What about a defendant facing his accuser....

Can the accused convert then hide behind a burka? Can they wear a burka in a line up? all accused?

I can see a sudden change of religion where a line up is the only way to ID a person.... Line ups just went out the window...

First, there has to be a pretty serious suspicion to compel a person to appear in a line up.

I would suggest that if they were wearing a berka at the time the crime was committed, it would be pretty stupid to try to identify them dressed in jailhouse orange. Similarly, no court would recognize a right to religious dress if the demand was based on such a exigency. I.e. if they were dressed in a berka at the time of the crime, the lineup would require them to be dressed in a berka.

Indeed, the determination of whether a person shed their berka for the explicit reason of committing a crime could probably be established by the presence of 'berka face' ... i.e. where the area around the eyes is tanned while the rest of the countenance has the appearance of pallor. Obviously, if the person committing the crime were a traditionalist they would wear a berka in the commission of the crime and if they didn't, the presence of berka-face would likely come out in the police interview.

Finally, 'eyewitness' identification is actually getting a pretty bad reputation largely because the human mind in critical circumstances has proven unreliable, even when the person making the identity might study the assailant in an effort to be certain.

pubby

On Friday, the GA Supreme Court announced that all courts in the state will now permit head coverings for religious or medical reasons to be worn in court rooms. (See press release.) This policy change came in response to last year's kerfuffle in Douglas County where a Muslim woman was not allowed to wear her head covering inside the court room & was arrested for causing a "disturbance" while arguing her rights were violated. She was subsequently released & charges were dropped. (See AP news article.)

Link #1

Link #2

Link #3

Link #4

Link #5

Why in the world would it be interesting to re-read some of the comments TBAR? Do you honestly think that the ones of us who disagree with this ruling should just simply change our opinion, just because the Supreme Court of GA made this decision? Can't speak for anyone else but I stand by my opinion, and who really cares if YOU or the Supreme Court thinks it is right or wrong. :lol:

I'm quite sure there will be problems associated with this ruling that will eventually become evident down the road. Even the Supreme Court makes mistakes TBAR - as do ALL of the rest of us!

Why in the world would it be interesting to re-read some of the comments TBAR? Do you honestly think that the ones of us who disagree with this ruling should just simply change our opinion, just because the Supreme Court of GA made this decision? Can't speak for anyone else but I stand by my opinion, and who really cares if YOU or the Supreme Court thinks it is right or wrong. :lol:

I'm quite sure there will be problems associated with this ruling that will eventually become evident down the road. Even the Supreme Court makes mistakes TBAR - as do ALL of the rest of us!

It seemed to me that this only applied to scarves and medical headgear. I think searches of this type of headgear will happen so it did not seem to me that the court did anything other than make the court rule a standard one and to clarify the issue. I can't say that I agree with it either as far as safety. I think if a weapon ever gets through, the policy will change.

It seemed to me that this only applied to scarves and medical headgear. I think searches of this type of headgear will happen so it did not seem to me that the court did anything other that make the court rule a standard one and to clarify the issue. I can't say that I agree with it either as far as safety. I think if a weapon ever gets through, the policy will change.

I agree and I truly feel that the Courts will eventually allow the Judges some form of discretion, similar to what is mentioned about Michigan, when dealing with this issue.

Link #1

Link #2

Link #3

Link #4

Link #5

Thanks for posting those links TBAR:) Quite interesting indeed! I look forward to reading more from you.

I'm not surprised at the comments from back then. Paulding hasn't quite been the mecca of "we are the world" But it's good for me to get a feel of the posters on this forum, so I'll know who I'm commenting and debating.

I've been surfing around here for the past few days there are some good spirited people on here, and some that make me smdh

And I'm very glad of the GA Supreme courts ruling:)

Well said... :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

For you nitwits that say this no longer makes America America I suggest some light reading called the Bill of Rights.

As for not meaning anything and the supreme courts rulling not meaning anything I will put this topic in my back pocket to pull out the next time we debate anything and I am told I'm wrong because the SC rulled on it. You know, because their rulings now don't matter. :lol: