Paulding.com

I am not sure where to post this. I'm not even sure how to post this. The following is not meant to be a "news report" or even a "eulogy" of any sort. I'm simply going to lay this out there & y'all can handle it however you want.

The funeral services for Steven Bone were held on 10/26/04 at Clark Funeral Home. The Rev. Kenneth Rankin III officiated the service.

Steve was a DeKalb County fireman. The funeral home was packed with firemen, policemen & other emergency personel from all over North GA. In fact, there were so many people wishing to pay their respects, the chapel at Clark's was completely filled by 2:20, a full 40 minutes before the start of the service.

Yes, this was a "Fireman's Funeral" in that the fire departments handled the graveside service. But folks, let me tell you, this was a man was deeply respected & loved by everyone that met him. I have never been to a funeral with that many people. Ever. For those of you that know me, you know I've had to go to 100s of funerals. Also, I've never attended a funeral that was so . . . so special as this one.

Friends. I can't tell you the number of friends of this man & his family were there. Soccer players & parents from the team he coached. The director of coaching for West Metro Soccer Club was there, & that isn't even part of his job description. In other words, people came because this man & his family meant something to them.

The firetruck from his station, draped in black, served as the hearse that carried the casket from the funeral home to the cemetary. There were fire department vehicles from everywhere in the procession; ladder trucks, rescue vehicles, ambulances. You name it, it was there. A DeKalb County police cruiser led the procession. And when all of the people finally arrived at the gravesite, the estimate was around 600 people in attendance.

The fire department service included "Amazing Grace" played on bagpipes. The presentation of Steve's badge & helment to his wife. The folding of the flag & its presentation. Taps. The ringing of the bell. And then 2 helicopters flew over.

Folks, this was one touchng moment. Sacred. I saw grown men cry like babies in full uniform. I saw adults unable to speak. This was something like no other moment I've witnessed before.

This post is not intended as a news report. It is not an "in memory" post either. Rather, I'm trying to relay an event that happened in Paulding County that was both sad & humbling, as well as inspiring at the same time. I really have no words to describe it.

There are many people who knew Steve & his family. But how many people can say they aspire to be a person --- a human being --- that touches so many people?

I don't have answers to the "why" questions, the "what if" questions, or the "what now" questions. But I do know that I've been reminded again how fragile life really is & the importance of our stewardship with such a great gift --- the gift of real living.

TBAR

I know exactly what you are saying.

You walked away a better person for having attended this funeral.

I have been to 2 like that one in my life. Touched by both beyond words.

There is a beautiful floral memorial on John Ward at Cheatam Hill Rd. I think of this young man twice each day as I pass. :(

Your post is incredible. I did not know Mr. Bone, but I am a friend of someone who was friends with him and his wife. She has nothing but wonderful things to say about him. From what I've heard, he will be missed terribly. Thank you for your beautiful words.

TBAR-

You wrote very eloquently, and your sincerity touched me.

I passed by and knew something very special was taking place.

You wrote:

I don't have answers to the "why" questions, the "what if" questions, or the "what now" questions. But I do know that I've been reminded again how fragile life really is & the importance of our stewardship of such a great gift --- the gift of real living.

We should take pause daily and consider your words.

Most of all we should make amends, and love one another.

Thanks TBAR,

I had to work yesterday, There were several of as at the station that knew and worked with Steve that were unable to attend. It is nice that someone from the outside was able to appreciate what was happening at the ceromony. The bond between Fire Fighters is special and as you saw Tuesday built with love and respect for each other. Keep Mary and the kids in your prayers.

I did not know him but he had just joined or was about to join my son's Boy Scout's troop with his son. The troop had a camp out this past weekend and Sat. night they had a Flag retirement ceremony which was dedicated to him. Tomorrow night at the pack meeting we are going to be taking up things for the family.

TBAR, thanks for this post. Many times Steve checked my BP for me at station 18 just off of North Peachtree Road. We talked about Ken Ball when he noticed the sign on my truck. I am sad that a man so young will no longer be here on this earth. His passing along with the Big Boss Man reminds me that we should live each day to its fullest and make a difference in everything we do.

Very touching post TBAR. I had the great pleasure of workin with Steve about 10 years ago. He is one that once you met him you would never forget him. Steve will be deeply missed by those who knew him. Everyone pray for his family!!!

I am not sure where to post this. I'm not even sure how to post this. The following is not meant to be a "news report" or even a "eulogy" of any sort. I'm simply going to lay this out there & y'all can handle it however you want.

The funeral services for Steven Bone were held on 10/26/04 at Clark Funeral Home. The Rev. Kenneth Rankin III officiated the service.

Steve was a DeKalb County fireman. The funeral home was packed with firemen, policemen & other emergency personell from all over North GA. In fact, there were so many people wishing to pay their respects, the chapel at Clark's was completely filled by 2:20, a full 40 minutes before the start of the service.

Yes, this was a "Fireman's Funeral" in that the fire departments handled the graveside service. But folks, let me tell you, this was a man was deeply respected & loved by everyone that met him. I have never been to a funeral with that many people. Ever. For those of you that know me, you know I've had to go to 100s of funerals. Also, I've never attended a funeral that was so . . . so special as this one.

Friends. I can't tell you the number of friends of this man & his family were there. Soccer players & parents from the team he coached. The director of coaching for West Metro Soccer Club was there, & that isn't even part of his job description. In other words, people came because this man & his family meant something to them.

The firetruck from his station, draped in black, served as the hearse that carried the casket from the funeral home to the cemetary. There were fire department vehicles from everywhere in the procession; ladder trucks, rescue vehicles, ambulances. You name it, it was there. A DeKalb County police cruiser led the procession. And when all of the people finally arrived at the gravesite, the estimate was around 600 people in attendance.

The fire department service included "Amazing Grace" played on bagpipes. The presentation of Steve's badge & helment to his wife. The folding of the flag & its presentation. Taps. The ringing of the bell. And then 2 helicopters flew over.

Folks, this was one touchng moment. Sacred. I saw grown men cry like babies in full uniform. I saw adults unable to speak. This was something like no other moment I've witnessed before.

This post is not intended as a news report. It is not an "in memory" post either. Rather, I'm trying to relay an event that happened in Paulding County that was both sad & humbling, as well as inspiring at the same time. I really have no words to describe it.

There are many people who knew Steve & his family. But how many people can say they aspire to be a person --- a human being --- that touches so many people?

I don't have answers to the "why" questions, the "what if" questions, or the "what now" questions. But I do know that I've been reminded again how fragile life really is & the importance of our stewardship of such a great gift --- the gift of real living.

• 1 year later...
I thought of Steve the other day when I saw Engine 18 heading to a call.

Remember his family in your prayers at this time of year - I'm sure it is hard for them.

Yeah, it is. Thanks for reminding us to keep the family in our prayers during this season. I know I will praying for them.

• 8 months later...

I brought this back forward to let everyone know that Steve's unborn baby at the time of his death was born on April 27, 2005. IT IS A BOY!! Connor Steven Boone! Now his wife Mary is raising their 3 beautiful children. Connor is one now and is a spliting image of Steve. Mary is my best friend! I just want you all on PCOM to know that she is doing good. Still is hard for her at times. This Oct will be two years! Mary has gone back to work full time this year, she has not worked since his death. Just keep her in your prayers for the guy that caused this accident, has yet to face any punishment!

Prayers!

• 3 weeks later...

So sad!! I think I drove by where the funeral was back then....I remember going down 278 and seeing all sorts of fire trucks and what not near a cemetery. Firemen are really angels.....they do what they do because they want to save and help people. I have much respect for them. So sad to hear the guy who caused the accident hasn't been punished....maybe by now he has.

• 2 weeks later...

I did not know Steve but I happened to drive by the accident site this weekend and I thought of the accident when I saw the roadside memorial, and then I came to this forum today and saw this old post brought forward just recently. To the friends and the family, he's gone, but not forgotten.